Mobile Phone, Phone Cards, And Bank Accounts

Topic locked
Mobile phone, phone cards, and Bank accounts Jan 31, 2006
Hello there every one.

Just wonedring if you can help me out,

1, I have a Motorola v6 with a uk Vodaphone simm card what is the best way to get calls is it just to buy a New simm card over there and to switch to the Dubai sim card.

2, What is the best Phone Cardcard to Buy to Call the Uk. and how much would it cost. And where would you buy it etc

3, Which type of bank accounts does every one have as i am new at this Tax free stuff, i have been reading a lot of replys of other post and they are saying the lloyds off-shore account or the HSBC is this what other people have aand is there any draw back from having such accounts and what is the real bennifits.

4, What sort of Stuff( Id.etc) do you need to set up an account when you go to the bank to see them.

5, What is Abu Dabi like and do you need to drive to get around in Dubai
as the company i will be working for have given me a Car allowance, but i don't drive and doubt if i need to with this job.

6. Does any one else get a car allowance can you tell me about it from your point of view

7. What happens when your back in Britian and you have all this cach sitting in your Bank Account Should you declare it and will anybody else.

8. is there anywhere in Dubai you can learn to drive a motorbike :? :D

tamcameron
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 07, 2006
Doesnt anyone know any of the answers to the above?
sweethoneybums
Dubai Forum User

Feb 07, 2006
If people could be bothered to use the "search" facility, these questions have been covered a thousand times. The answers are all here.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 08, 2006
You might very well find that your UK mobile phone is locked to the Vodaphone network, meaning you can't use any other SIM card in it, I had this with Orange. But you can either pay them to give you the unlocking code, they normally charge about 30 pounds - or you can take it to a backstreet mobile shop and they'll unlock it for you for around 50 DHS, or about 8 pounds.

I have bank accounts here, plus offshore accounts on the Isle of Man where I send my extra cash to. My advice is to go with one of the major banks here and take advantage of Internet banking and all the facilities you'd be used to in the UK, so many local banks are working in the dark ages and you can't do anything without visiting the branch - which is pretty lame. But to open an account you need your residency visa and salary certificate from the company. Many banks also require you to have a minimum balance which is normally between 3,000 - 5,000 Dhs.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 08, 2006
[quote="arniegang"]If people could be bothered to use the "search" facility, these questions have been covered a thousand times. The answers are all here.[/quote]

I am new.. so Im still getting used to the forum..
sweethoneybums
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum