How Soon Do We Need To Apply For A Job?

Topic locked
How soon do we need to apply for a job? Jun 15, 2008
Hi, we are considering a relocation as a family to Dubai. Having looked around it seems that my skills are in demand. What I need to know is this, how long does the procedure take from start to finish? If I apply for jobs now, have telephone and face to face interview, and subsequent job offer how long is it likely to be before we are actually able to move :?: An idea would be fine, but, have not been able to find any answer to this elsewhere and would be grateful for any and all help :?

Thanks alot for your time :)

the-nutters
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 16, 2008
It really depends where you are coming from.(color of your passport) I would say its much better to apply for jobs and then negotiate once you get it. In my case the company paid for all my relocation expenses including my family(freight, airfare, temp. housing, furniture purchase allowance etc). Good Luck.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

How soon do we need to apply for a job? Jun 16, 2008
Hi, thanks for that. We are all uk citizens, although we are currently living in Spain. On the basis that we want to be in Dubai for early October would you recommend we start applying for vacancies shortly? Also, thanks for advising us about negotiating. That was going to be a follow up question :) I want to know whether we should move our current furniture over or whether we should purchase replacements once there? Obviously there are some things that we will wish to bring on over with us regardless. We do not know if rental properties are furnished or unfurnished? Just one more thing if you do not mind :oops: "Are you glad you made the move"? Do you have any regrets? Thanks again for your time, look forward to your reply :D
the-nutters
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 17, 2008
In my case the company paid to furnish my apartment so it made sense that I did not bring any furniture with me only the essentials. To answer your question, its still a little too early for me to say if it was the right move or not. So far it has been really stressfull. Customer service and beurocracy is not what we are used to in the US and that could be very frustrating at times. Rents are ridiculously high. For what I'm paying for a 2 BDRM apt I could rent a mansion back home not to mention I own a home which I really miss (you know the backyard for the kids and swimming pool). But at the same time there are some good things too, I like my job. I am working on a very exciting project. Live in nannies are very common and cheap. My wife is sure happy to get one. Back home its considered luxury and few select people can afford such help. She was also able to get a teaching job in one of the American schools. My son is going to attend the same school so that makes it easier. Crime is virtually non-existtent. I don't have to worry about shootings in schools, drugs and alcohol. You can PM me if you like to discuss anything else.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum