Getting A Gas Bottle/cylinder

Topic locked
Getting a gas bottle/cylinder Nov 27, 2007
Hi. Does anyone know if there is a gas cylinder supplier that delivers to JBR? Im really struggling to get one. It seems they dont want you to have gas in JBR!

Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2007
you arent allowed gas in jbr mate.
Thats why we all have electric cookers
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 27, 2007
gezza wrote:you arent allowed gas in jbr mate.
Thats why we all have electric cookers

Bugger, already bought one with a gas hob because the agency that found me the apartment said I could!
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2007
Just take it back mate.
cooking on leccy is great eh!
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 27, 2007
gezza wrote:Just take it back mate.
cooking on leccy is great eh!

Wish I could but Ive had it a good 4 weeks!

Tell me about it. Thats why I wanted gas.

You think I might be able to get a bottle delivered to work and sneek it in?
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2007
I reckon so...but if one of them go up in a tower...your pretty wonderful..
your not in murjan are ya!!!! :shock:
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 27, 2007
If yer kitchen didn't have a cabinet (or room) to keep the gas cylinder near the space for the cooker, then I guess gas is not allowed.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 28, 2007
No fella, to your relief I am not in Murjan!

Ive got plenty of cupboard space around the cooker so thats not a problem. I just dont get it, you can use gas in other towers!
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007
Electric cooker sucks. I like cooking and I prefer gas than electric.
Fortunately it's allowed in my current apt.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 29, 2007
wow I didn't know anyplace in Dubai that used electric stoves, I thought they were all gas. I'm guessing electric is also a lot more to operate? I'm glad i saw this, I was toying with a move across the water to JBR.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Nov 29, 2007
I went for electric oven and gas hob, think thats the best combo.

I'll let you know how I resolve this then Fayz. Im sure I could just sneak a cylinder in!
Craigo
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2007
fayz wrote:wow I didn't know anyplace in Dubai that used electric stoves, I thought they were all gas. I'm guessing electric is also a lot more to operate? I'm glad i saw this, I was toying with a move across the water to JBR.

We use electric, but we live in old Dubai. It is commonly accepted that gas is cheaper than electric. I don't think it is that much more, because our electric bills top out at Dhs 700 in the summer for a family of four in a two-bed flat.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2007
in the "old" dubai they used gas a lot because it was plentyful and also didn't place a burden on the electricity generation/ consumption in peak periods during the summer months. i think the jbr issue is more one of saftey than anything else.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Nov 29, 2007
fayz wrote:wow I didn't know anyplace in Dubai that used electric stoves, I thought they were all gas. I'm guessing electric is also a lot more to operate? I'm glad i saw this, I was toying with a move across the water to JBR.

You have Gas at your place Fayz ??? :shock: :shock:

All Emaar devs on the Marina, Gas is strictly prohibited even for BBQ's on our balcony's.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 30, 2007
yeah I do, Actually I use to live in an old building in bur dubai, a highrise on SZR and our current place and all had Gas, actually even our BBQ area has a gas BBQ. I guess this is why I was so surprised to hear people using electric, I incorrectly assumed all were gas.

I guess I'll count myself lucky :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 30, 2007
gtmash wrote:We use electric, but we live in old Dubai. It is commonly accepted that gas is cheaper than electric. I don't think it is that much more, because our electric bills top out at Dhs 700 in the summer for a family of four in a two-bed flat.

is it just the electric portion or your dewa total? is AC included in the bill?

For comparision we're a family of 7ish and our electricty portion is never more than 350/month our total DEWA including water and sewage we're about 650-700 but we don't pay for AC and I know that is a huge cost in itself.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Nov 30, 2007
out of interest Fayz, how much is your community charge portion of your Dewa bill?
arniegang

Nov 30, 2007
fayz wrote:
gtmash wrote:We use electric, but we live in old Dubai. It is commonly accepted that gas is cheaper than electric. I don't think it is that much more, because our electric bills top out at Dhs 700 in the summer for a family of four in a two-bed flat.

is it just the electric portion or your dewa total? is AC included in the bill?

For comparision we're a family of 7ish and our electricty portion is never more than 350/month our total DEWA including water and sewage we're about 650-700 but we don't pay for AC and I know that is a huge cost in itself.

Our electric bill includes the (window) a/c portion too. By the way, our electricity is free because we have a family member in DEWA. I just calculated our bill based on the kwh consumed, since we still get a friggin bill. So basically, we CAN use as much as we please, but we don't go overboard so as to not blow out our appliances. I figured I'd point out my bill because people here claim big bills of 2k plus for some reason.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 01, 2007
thanks GT, was just curious :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

gas bottle Dec 03, 2007
International City apartment.
Anyone know of a reliable gas bottle supplier ?
meseta
Dubai Forum User

Dec 03, 2007
I remember reading somewhere or something or somehow (not sure where) but the No gas rule in JBR was a decision made very early on in the development for green reasons.

Not sure if it makes sense, but I dunno, you'd need to ask someone in Dubai Properties.
^ian^

Re: gas bottle Dec 03, 2007
meseta wrote:International City apartment.
Anyone know of a reliable gas bottle supplier ?

Look for Al Shafaq Gas. They give out flyers there. Hope Du gave you your phone/net/cable connection already.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum