Dubai Police- Please Help

Topic locked
Dubai Police- Please Help Apr 15, 2008
I am provided with a company vehicle, the vehicle is being rented by them. The other day when I went home and tried to park in my parking garage I scraped one side on the wall, few scratches and a little dent (Thanks to the narrow parking spaces in Duabi). The next day I reported it to my company assuming there is insurance and that is the normal procedure back home (US). They have insurance indeed but I was told to get a police report. I though no big deal, I just went to Jebel Ali Police Station and explained my situation to an officer. He agreed to file a report and asked me to get my driver's license and registration. After handing it to him he got a phone call and gave my stuff to another fellow officer. This second officer refused to do it to for me. He told me that I had to go back to the place of this accident and call 999 for an officer to come. I was absluetly appalled over the inconsistency but without arguing much I left the police station. I went home and called 999, gave them half and hour and called again. The operatpor claimed I had not made any calls before. I had to tell him my situation again and he promised an officer would arrive. After 2 more hours I received atleast 4 more phone calls. Every time I had to tell them what happenned in addition to expalining my location. Finally I got a call saying that I had to go to the Police Station to file for this "minor" accident and he hung up the phone. My head was spinning by this time. I did go to the station to report it and they told me to call 999 and when I did, after more than 2 hours I was told to go to the Police Station again.
I am very confused now and don't know what to do now. Is this normal? What do you suggest? Any suggestions based on your knowledge and past experiences will be highly appreciated. Thanks

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 15, 2008
I honestly don't know what to say. When I got into a scratcher with another doofus, we called 999 and they said to go to the police station since we agreed who was to blame. There, we just caught one the police cars outside and he made the report after we explained the accident.

In your case, none of the desk-jockeys want to do any work. I suggest just flagging down a passing cop car and making him follow you.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 19, 2008
I had a similar thing, but with no problems. My car was dented in a car park, so in order to get it repaired on the insurance i needed a police report..

I went to a police station near the Jebel Ali freezone (close to the immigration dept). Went in, spoke to the officer behind the desk, explained that my car was hit in a car park whilst i was in the shopping centre and he duly filled out a report. He didn't even bother looking at my car which was directly outside the building! Job done.

So I suggest trying again, perhaps go to another station, or flag down a police car. If there's no other driver involved, and it's a minor scrape then there is no need to call 999 and get them to come to the scene.
cheeseontoast
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum