Can My Husband "piggy Back" My Visa

Topic locked
Can my husband "piggy back" my visa Jun 11, 2007
Hi,

I am looking at jobs in Dubai ( I work in Media Sales/Advertising). There seems to be confilicting opinion as to whether if I get sponsored, my husband can come on my visa.

My recruitment agent in London says he spoke to the solicitors in Dubai who say it is indeed possible.

Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks and Regards :)

madamedarkin
Dubai Forum Guest

Jun 12, 2007
There is member on the forum called Sage and Onion. He should be able to help you with this. Send him a PM.
XPClone
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 12, 2007
the awnser is no.

the uae is a male run culture, the husband is considered the bread winner and main sponsor of the residency visa; they do however make exceptions for women who are in what they consider "special proffessional persons".

these include women who are medical doctors, teachers or other highly qualified engineering persons who are required in the country. the minister of labour has the right to add and deduct these labour catagories depending on the requirements of the country at the time. they (the femal spouse) may apply for and sponsor their spouses as the main residency sponsor. these are exceptional cases and have to be autherised by the department of immigration.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 12, 2007
If you don't qualify to sponsor your husband (or during the application process) he can come on a tourist visa and look for a job on his own as I would imagine he would seek employment even if he entered the UAE on your sponsorship.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can my husband "piggy back" my visa Jun 13, 2007
can concur with all that has been said, unfortunately. still, depending on your husband's qualifications, he may not have any dramas getting a visa on his own (the scenario you outlined-- piggybacking-- is the case in australia)

in any case, i'd be interested in talking to you if you're in media sales as i may have something you might be interested in-- if so, pls PM me!!!!

madamedarkin wrote:Hi,

I am looking at jobs in Dubai ( I work in Media Sales/Advertising). There seems to be confilicting opinion as to whether if I get sponsored, my husband can come on my visa.

My recruitment agent in London says he spoke to the solicitors in Dubai who say it is indeed possible.

Can anyone give me advice?

Thanks and Regards :)
Sydneysider
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:the awnser is no.

the uae is a male run culture, the husband is considered the bread winner and main sponsor of the residency visa; they do however make exceptions for women who are in what they consider "special proffessional persons".

these include women who are medical doctors, teachers or other highly qualified engineering persons who are required in the country. the minister of labour has the right to add and deduct these labour catagories depending on the requirements of the country at the time. they (the femal spouse) may apply for and sponsor their spouses as the main residency sponsor. these are exceptional cases and have to be autherised by the department of immigration.

While I agree in general with the above post, I do know of a lady that works for a large bank in Dubai and her husband who doesnt work, is indeed 'piggy-backing' on her husbands visa.
I think as Dubai is expanding, things may be on a 'case by case' basis. Certainly if your wife is going into a highly paid job, it may be worth speaking to your prospective employer and their PRO, who may be able to advise you further.
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum