PO Box And Postal Services

Topic locked
PO Box and Postal Services Apr 08, 2006
Hi,

Just got the residence visa, so as I'm now entitled to the luxury of mail, I am looking forward to have a PO Box. How do you do it? Where do you go? Hoe does it work?

Secondly, where are the post offices here?I haven't seen any. How safe/efficient/reliable is the Mail here (does it take ages to reach its destination and more importantly, does it actually get there?) Sorry, but have had terrible experiences with some postal services around the world, so worth knowing if there is any point of sending anything through the post.

Thanks,

J

Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 08, 2006
sore subject with me. Cant bleedin get one and i've had my place a year :shock: :shock:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 08, 2006
Most people I know just use their work PO Boxes. There's no normal postage system here which is kinda awkward if you're have to order or get things sent from other countries, many won't send to a PO Box.

I also find post takes ages in this country.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 08, 2006
Ithink but not sure....

You can rent a PO Box in one of the Emirates Gas stations. saw a some in a station and i know they can be rented, but don't know how.

Usually work P.O Box would work
yshimy

Apr 08, 2006
A list of Post Offices is at www.emiratespost.com
The thing that makes me angry, is that they charge customs on all parcels being sent from other countries. I wouldn't normally mind, but this also applies to Christmas Gifts, Easter Eggs etc. I feel like telling them to keep the bloody easter egg, but I am not ready to leave just yet.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 08, 2006
i know it sounds a stupid question but here goes

Can you get easter eggs in dubai?
arniegang

Apr 08, 2006
Perfectly valid question because I only saw them at the "Park n Shop" last year.
This year they have sprung up at lots of shops including Carefor and Geant. Next year? Union Co-op?!
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 08, 2006
benwj wrote:Perfectly valid question because I only saw them at the "Park n Shop" last year.
This year they have sprung up at lots of shops including Carefor and Geant. Next year? Union Co-op?!

Try Safestway on the SZR near defence Roundabout. They always have stacks of them...including Cadburys Creme Eggs! Yummmmm!!!! 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 09, 2006
Thanks to all for your help, although the news are quite bleak!

I just don't get it how you don't have any post, I mean, I thought Venezuela's so-called mail was unbeatable in inefficiency, but hey, at least it exists, nobody uses it, but it's there!

I just assumed everyone had a PO Box in an office near home and you just had to go. Guess I was too optimistic!

Cheers

J
Julieta
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2006
Yes, there are cadbury creme eggs! I sneakily bought a three pack at Spinney's.......not sneaky enough. My kids deduced 3 eggs, 3 kids = one each! Should have eaten them in the car.

Eggs everywhere Arnie except at Union Coop which has a huge amount of choc anyway!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 09, 2006
cadbury creme eggs my fav will be going there :D :D :D :D :D :D
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 09, 2006
NEWS FLASH!! Union Coop does have some eggs-kinder surprise and similar. Choithrams has an eggsellent range too! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 09, 2006
Dont really like kinder :(
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 12, 2006
And I thought small annoying toys would be right up your alley!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
Ohhhhhhhhh cutting
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 13, 2006
:lol: :lol: Yes, I can tell I have sliced your heart in two with that acidic remark. :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
Yes you have :(
uaeaussie
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 13, 2006
Gabs

you having a bad day too ??

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Apr 13, 2006
No. Worked this morning and doing the Jumeirah Jane bit this arvo- not botox, nor boob job just nails. May get a pedicure and may get threading-what we girls go through!! :cry: Done the Easter shopping-Carrefour had some nice Lindt rabbits. Bought lots of eggs-now just have to con the kids into giving me some! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
Mrs A loved the hairdressers you recommended on JBR, best cut she has had for a long while.
arniegang

Apr 13, 2006
Yep- went to his Al Nasir salon-colourist used to work in Harrod's I think and all was great-pricey but great. Yes, I am afraid my hair colour is not my own! :cry:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
tell me thats not true Gabs

:cry:
arniegang

Apr 13, 2006
700DH with discount, darling!!
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
Or did you mean my hair colour?? :lol: :lol: :lol: Yep, not a true blonde despite the getting lost, the car business, the teeth episode-hard to believe!! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 13, 2006
pmsl i meant the hair colour.

Mrs A's most exp hair cut was done by Nicky Clarke Cut and colour equiv 3500 dhs

:shock: :shock:
arniegang

Apr 13, 2006
Holy crap :shock:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 13, 2006
kanelli wrote:Holy crap :shock:

Ali Barber...Karama...5Dhs. including tip and a free cup of tea full of hair clippings! Choice of styles: Short or none at all!

Sorted!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Apr 13, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:

Ali Barber...Karama...5Dhs. including tip and a free cup of tea full of hair clippings! Choice of styles: Short or none at all!

Sorted!

Knight

When we meet up DK, you can tell Mrs A that one ( but do it from 100 metres)

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

Apr 13, 2006

But she did get as much coffee/champers and choccy bikkies as she wanted K.

arniegang

Apr 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:pmsl i meant the hair colour.

Mrs A's most exp hair cut was done by Nicky Clarke Cut and colour equiv 3500 dhs

:shock: :shock:

Damn, mine is AED 20 inclusive of a shave, wash, massage and an AED 5 tip, eash. it is good to be a guy at times.

No idea why a question on post office boxes went into such a tangent but for Jul, I went to the post office on Al Wasl in Jumeria, opened a PO Box, very easy just a copy of your passport with visa page, it ran me AED 150/year. I’ve had a total of two letters sent to me from overseas (Canada) one took 6 weeks and the other was a registered one that took 4. They both made it though. For all important docs I send everything by courier. I like DHL over FedEx in this region.

Good luck.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum