Topic locked

Will you use Salik?

I will buy and use Salik
54%
I will NOT buy or use Salik
8%
I do not need Salik
23%
I'm connected Habiby... I won't be buying anything.
15%

Total votes : 26

Jun 16, 2007
Salik wrote:
ksalik wrote:ouch this hurts.those idiots at rta chose the name as salik which is my name !!! according to them it means clear but islamically it means follower of the spiritual path.why my name out of all ??? :(

It's a cool name don't you think?

No sorry. The name means clear... but it's anything but.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 17, 2007
i have 2 cars. will drive to close to toll take bicycle to other side of toll and then drive other car.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 17, 2007
i have no idea how it means clear,checked everywhere.those guys at rta are really messed up and yeh it is a cool name 8)
ksalik
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 17, 2007
ksalik
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 20, 2007
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 20, 2007
sauron wrote:http://www.petitiononline.com/RtaSalik/petition.html

Especially for ^Ian^.

Well, I will eat humble pie if this petition actually does something, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath.

I bet Choco started this poll.
^ian^

Jun 20, 2007
^ian^

Jun 20, 2007
^ian^ wrote:http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?RtaSalik&1

Sig #2682

LOL!

I thought 1191 was funnier!

*checks radar*
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 20, 2007
Concord wrote:

Sig #2682

LOL!

*checks radar*

umm... you got me there:

1191. Lesley - Ann D'Souza
^ian^

Jun 20, 2007
double post
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 20, 2007
MAC wrote:i have 2 cars. will drive to close to toll take bicycle to other side of toll and then drive other car.

:lol:

Two-wheeled vehicles are charged tolls also - maybe just motorcycles... More about Salik
bonk

Jun 20, 2007
bonk wrote:
MAC wrote:i have 2 cars. will drive to close to toll take bicycle to other side of toll and then drive other car.

:lol:

Two-wheeled vehicles are charged tolls also - maybe just motorcycles... More about Salik

What about pedestrians?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 21, 2007
gtmash wrote:What about pedestrians?

If they're on a Segway ... :mrgreen:
bonk

Jun 21, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:

Sig #2682

LOL!

*checks radar*

umm... you got me there:

1191. Lesley - Ann D'Souza

You actually looked :shock: Say it ain't so. I figure if you made reference to #2682 there must be a #1191. Hence the "radar" reference - you are slipping..
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 21, 2007
7 Days actually ran a story on the petitions today.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 23, 2007
By 2009 Salik is likely to be a feature of most main highways in Dubai.
I would have assumed that most people would realise that the first 2 stations were a 'trial' before it was rolled out through the rest of Dubai.

By the way, in the Uk, RTA stands for Road Traffic Accident.
An apt name?
admog
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2007
Can anyone provide any information as too how the system actually works and more to the point how will it be enforced.

1/ Yes i know cars have to have tags and it will be picked up by driving under the Salik gantry at Barsha and Garoud.

I cant see any camera's soooo ..........

a/ is it picked up by electronic tagging only ? or

b/ like in London, camera's will picture every single car number plate and compare it on a database to a purchased tag registered to that particular car?

If it is based on (a) only, how are the RTA or Police going to enforce the cars that dont have tags?

If it is based on (b) will the fines be logged onto our registrations and pay up every year at registration time.

I suspecty its (a) because they wont be able to enforce fines on any cars owned by Saudi's etc etc etc. If i am correct then the chances of getting stopped at a police checkpoint on the SZR at 5.30pm are about as likely as me selling oil to the GCC Nations. Can anyone imagine the traffic jam lol it will run back in both directions to AB and Sharjah. Basides which how many police cars do we ever see on the SZR anyway lol.
arniegang

Jun 26, 2007
Can anyone provide any information as too how the system actually works and more to the point how will it be enforced.

1/ Yes i know cars have to have tags and it will be picked up by driving under the Salik gantry at Barsha and Garoud.

b/ like in London, camera's will picture every single car number plate and compare it on a database to a purchased tag registered to that particular car?

If it is based on (a) only, how are the RTA or Police going to enforce the cars that dont have tags?

If it is based on (b) will the fines be logged onto our registrations and pay up every year at registration time.

I suspecty its (a) because they wont be able to enforce fines on any cars owned by Saudi's etc etc etc. If i am correct then the chances of getting stopped at a police checkpoint on the SZR at 5.30pm are about as likely as me selling oil to the GCC Nations. Can anyone imagine the traffic jam lol it will run back in both directions to AB and Sharjah. Basides which how many police cars do we ever see on the SZR anyway lol.
arniegang

Jun 27, 2007
arniegang wrote:Can anyone provide any information as too how the system actually works and more to the point how will it be enforced.

Dr. D would have been able to answer that but he is now a Pathologist (DF Autopsy)...or is it a Proctolgoist?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 27, 2007
arniegang wrote:Can anyone provide any information as too how the system actually works and more to the point how will it be enforced.

There are cameras there although at first you don't notice them. Although I haven't inspected the Tags that closely, I believe it's a combination of visual recognition and RFID. Basically the tag transmits the number plate, and the Cameras also use OCR to read number plates... it's then a not so simple matching system.

A combination of A & B actually.
^ian^

Jun 27, 2007
thanks Ian

I had a really good nosey and i cant see any forward facing camera's though.

If there definately are camera's, some naughty people in the UK avoid detection by using black insulation tape on various numbers and letters on their number plates to alter the car registration number (temporarily of course 8) )

ie: a zero can be turned into an 8, a 5 into an 8, a 7 can become a 2 and an F can be turned into a P etc etc etc.

Obviously those of us who are law abiding citizens wouln't dream of such a scam :?

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Jun 27, 2007
arniegang wrote:thanks Ian

I had a really good nosey and i cant see any forward facing camera's though.

If there definately are camera's, some naughty people in the UK avoid detection by using black insulation tape on various numbers and letters on their number plates to alter the car registration number (temporarily of course 8) )

ie: a zero can be turned into an 8, a 5 into an 8, a 7 can become a 2 and an F can be turned into a P etc etc etc.

Obviously those of us who are law abiding citizens wouln't dream of such a scam :?

:wink: :wink: :wink:

in dubai such shananigans punishable by pubic execution ask sage.

you need glass old men cameras easily visible... or you needs slow down

p.s. engrish no too good yet i mean 'public execution"
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat