Who Is Going To Come Back After Summer

Topic locked
who is going to come back after summer Mar 22, 2009
Hi everyone, I heard a bunch of people that once this current school year finishes and summer break starts, lots of people will be going back to their home countries. Has anyone else heard of this from their colleagues, friends? It should be interesting to see what will happen to real estate prices, etc. When these people start to shift.

g55amg
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 22, 2009
That's definitely a rumour that I've heard around the place but so far I haven't heard it directly from anyone as their plan. Makes sense though, you don't want to uproot the kids during the school year.

I suppose it depends on if you have a job (gonna stay), lost your job but have savings (can afford to stay until then) or lost your job and have no cash (airport dump and run ;-) )

The job losses are definitely out there though. I was at the pub the other day and ran into three friends of friends who had just been laid off. Two were ok but the other said he was "Three weeks away from panic time".

Edit: They were all architects or in construction FYI.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
That's interesting, for some reason there have been no updates with regards of lay offs in the recent days. Has the situation really improved that much?
g55amg
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 22, 2009
Maybe their internet got cut off.... ha! just kidding, no idea.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
I think alot of people are planning a one way trip but are keeping quiet about it, especially those who are in over their heads with debt. Landlords are finding out their tenants have bailed when they deposit checks.

Heard one story where a LL went to the apartment they own because the check from the tenant bounced. It appears that the tenant bailed and rented the apartment to someone else (apparently someone they knew). Took the cash and skipped. Now the current tenant refuses to leave because they paid rent (no lease, no receipt) and the LL doesn't know what to do. What a mess.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:I think alot of people are planning a one way trip but are keeping quiet about it, especially those who are in over their heads with debt. Landlords are finding out their tenants have bailed when they deposit checks.

Heard one story where a LL went to the apartment they own because the check from the tenant bounced. It appears that the tenant bailed and rented the apartment to someone else (apparently someone they knew). Took the cash and skipped. Now the current tenant refuses to leave because they paid rent (no lease, no receipt) and the LL doesn't know what to do. What a mess.

What a nightmare. The tenant obviously doesn't have a legal leg to stand on but it's still not going to be simple, or nice, to kick them out.

There are a lot of strange goings on in the property market. Check out this adon Dubizzle today for a one bedroom in the marina. 60K, which is mega cheap, but it's on the first floor so maybe it's next to a generator or something from the building site next door. But what caught my eye was this phrase....

Two persons can sleep in the bedroom and one person in the sofa bed.

WTF? Something fishy is going on there. It's a nice looking place and this guy is encouraging 3 people to move in. It screams of desperation. Maybe an ask-no-questions move in like you described.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:I think alot of people are planning a one way trip but are keeping quiet about it, especially those who are in over their heads with debt. Landlords are finding out their tenants have bailed when they deposit checks.

What a nightmare. The tenant obviously doesn't have a legal leg to stand on but it's still not going to be simple, or nice, to kick them out.

There are a lot of strange goings on in the property market. Check out this adon Dubizzle today for a one bedroom in the marina. 60K, which is mega cheap, but it's on the first floor so maybe it's next to a generator or something from the building site next door. But what caught my eye was this phrase....

WTF? Something fishy is going on there. It's a nice looking place and this guy is encouraging 3 people to move in. It screams of desperation. Maybe an ask-no-questions move in like you described.

Hubby refused to look at anything at JBR because he said in a few years its going to look like the projects.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
For buying this might be a problem, but for renting it's basically the most finished part of the marina and if you like the shops and beach and a minimum of construction (compared to JLT for example) it's pretty sweet. Depends what you're looking for I suppose.

Edit: For all the crap that JBR and Marina madness might get all I can say is that last weekend I walked down there, grabbed a Starbucks then went for a swim in one of the nicest beaches I've been swimming in outside of Thailand. Absolutely fantastic this time of year.

If you lived in JBR, this would be a 2 minute walk from your apartment.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:For buying this might be a problem, but for renting it's basically the most finished part of the marina and if you like the shops and beach and a minimum of construction (compared to JLT for example) it's pretty sweet. Depends what you're looking for I suppose.

Yeah, we were looking to buy. If you get an apartment with a view I could live with that. Went looking in the Marina and went home depressed with all the high rises, dust, no greenery and everything I looked at (5 apartments) that had a view will become partial views because there was something going up.

On SZR in a high floor apartment facing the water and I get to see the most fantastic sunsets. Look down and see a small park with grass and trees. The other option for us is to take a villa where at least the height of the villas is equal all around and there is grass and trees, but I understand that there are some nice apartment buildings at the Lakes.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Yeah, we were looking to buy. If you get an apartment with a view I could live with that. Went looking in the Marina and went home depressed with all the high rises, dust, no greenery and everything I looked at (5 apartments) that had a view will become partial views because there was something going up.

On SZR in a high floor apartment facing the water and I get to see the most fantastic sunsets. Look down and see a small park with grass and trees. The other option for us is to take a villa where at least the height of the villas is equal all around and there is grass and trees, but I understand that there are some nice apartment buildings at the Lakes.

Fair enough, buying is a different story. I'm sure there are some nice ocean fronted places in JBR but, as you say, all too many are just facing other apartments. I've heard you also want to be quite high up where ever you move that is near construction. My friend who is on the 27th floor in JLT sleeps like a baby, but my other mate on the 5th floor of the same building is up all night with the noise.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

I think desperation is key to this kind of offers. But when you look at other cities around the world (I mean like in Europe, not NYC or London), the price is starting to look good actually. (still 1350 dollar a month though). Amenities like furniture, high speed ADSL being paid for. Monthly bill.... I need a Dubai job and QUICKK :lol:

Ok maybe the generator is tricky. But I would definataly have alook around there Captain. This is worth a shot I think.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 22, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:

I think desperation is key to this kind of offers. But when you look at other cities around the world (I mean like in Europe, not NYC or London), the price is starting to look good actually. (still 1350 dollar a month though). Amenities like furniture, high speed ADSL being paid for. Monthly bill.... I need a Dubai job and QUICKK :lol:

Ok maybe the generator is tricky. But I would definataly have alook around there Captain. This is worth a shot I think.

Today 3 people, in a few months 3 families!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 22, 2009
Or 25 pakistanis. It's close to work.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 22, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:Or 25 pakistanis. It's close to work.

Oi ! and whats wrong with 25 Pakistanis :shock:
desertdudeshj

Mar 22, 2009
Nothing, as long as they pay for 25 and don't get squawky on my furniture ;)

:D :D :D
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:Or 25 pakistanis. It's close to work.

Oi ! and whats wrong with 25 Pakistanis :shock:

There is nothing wrong with 25 Pakistanis in 5 houses ... something wrong with 25 Pakistanis in a one bedrooms flat.

Sorry, should have said Sub-continent labourers, not Pakistanis.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Mar 23, 2009
Oh there is always something wrong with a lot of people crammed into a single accomdation !
desertdudeshj

Mar 23, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:Oh there is always something wrong with a lot of people crammed into a single accomdation !

So you think busses are wrong?
You are right, they have no seat belts... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5OoWQaW ... re=related
RobbyG

Mar 23, 2009
oh well..yes i have heard the same..infact many parents have applied fora Transfer Certificate at schools to move out of the country..
immortal01
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 24, 2009
immortal01 wrote:oh well..yes i have heard the same..infact many parents have applied fora Transfer Certificate at schools to move out of the country..

Is it true or are they just rumours?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 24, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
immortal01 wrote:oh well..yes i have heard the same..infact many parents have applied fora Transfer Certificate at schools to move out of the country..

Is it true or are they just rumours?

I would tend to think it is true.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat