What A Great DF Meet!!

Topic locked
What A Great DF meet!! Oct 22, 2011
Well I have to say :D I've just had one of the best evenings in a long time, I can't remember when I laughed so much :bounce:

You know when you agree to something and then wonder what you are letting yourself in for? Well that was BM tonight when I turned up for a planned DF meetup :oops:

My fears were uncalled after all :P

What goes on in DF meet ups, stays on DF meet ups and I have promised not to reveal whether the Ambassador was Frances or Francis :shock:

Others wished to remain anonymous and I respect those requests :wink:

Never let it be said that BM can't keep a secret!

What a shame we are spread over the world! I want to meet those men with the nice accents. I'm particularly into Fench and Dutch at the moment :wink:

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: What A Great DF meet!! Oct 22, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:What a shame we are spread over the world! I want to meet those men with the nice accents. I'm particularly into Fench and Dutch at the moment :wink:

There will be a time for everything. When does Herve have signing sessions for his new book?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I like the sound of that plan! A DF meet up in Miami :D

I wonder if Shafique will get a special invitation? After all, the Imam is based on him :D Or is he just named after him :drunken: We'll have to wait for the launch!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bethsmum

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 22, 2011
Me-ammi! Sounds good!
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Bethsmum wrote:Well I have to say :D I've just had one of the best evenings in a long time, I can't remember when I laughed so much :bounce:

You know when you agree to something and then wonder what you are letting yourself in for? Well that was BM tonight when I turned up for a planned DF meetup :oops:

My fears were uncalled after all :P

What goes on in DF meet ups, stays on DF meet ups and I have promised not to reveal whether the Ambassador was Frances or Francis :shock:

Others wished to remain anonymous and I respect those requests :wink:

Never let it be said that BM can't keep a secret!

What a shame we are spread over the world! I want to meet those men with the nice accents. I'm particularly into Fench and Dutch at the moment :wink:

It was great to meet you guys too...especially BM and Bora Bora...I was pleasently surprised by the other company as well (I'm not sure why they did not want it known that they were there :shock: nice people).

BM, thanks for picking the place...food was great. Wow, it is great you can just come to Dubai for the weekend (if I had your money I would burn mine :P ).
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 22, 2011
Ahhhh, so the life of the party has awoken!!!!

I appreciate BM coming in to join us for the meet up, as well as the others who showed up. Ahhh, secrets!!! We did hold back a few of our own, but only to be revealed when it was just the 3 of us. OK guys - next time we all spill everything!!!!!

Should have done it sooner. Looking forward to BM's next trip to Dubai which isn't too far away.

I still can't figure out if you are Frances/Francis. Your clothes and hair gave nothing away!!! Although you do eat a bit feminine, :o you drink like a sailor with a wooden leg!!!!! :shock:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

OK, I was working this time.

But I expect an invitation to the next one.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: What A Great DF meet!! Oct 23, 2011
Ambassador wrote:It was great to meet you guys too...especially BM and Bora Bora...I was pleasently surprised by the other company as well (I'm not sure why they did not want it known that they were there :shock: nice people).

BM, thanks for picking the place...food was great. Wow, it is great you can just come to Dubai for the weekend (if I had your money I would burn mine :P ).

Ambassador! I'm not that rich :D I just do a good impression! I have a way to go before I have my own plane :wink:

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:25 am --

Bora Bora wrote:I appreciate BM coming in to join us for the meet up, as well as the others who showed up. Ahhh, secrets!!! We did hold back a few of our own, but only to be revealed when it was just the 3 of us. OK guys - next time we all spill everything!!!!!

Should have done it sooner. Looking forward to BM's next trip to Dubai which isn't too far away.

I need to get rid of the tenant Bora! It appears that she has taken root in JBR :shock: I will have to increase the rent :idea:

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:26 am --

Flying Dutchman wrote:Me-ammi! Sounds good!

Feels good FD :wink:

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:39 am --

benwj wrote:OK, I was working this time.

ben, sorry you couldn't make it, I expect you were out on your serfboard or what ever you aussies do :shock:

You will definitely be top of the list for my next invites. I quite like that accent, it makes me want to curl my toes in the sand.

There's nothing like the French 'je ne sais quoi', or the Dutch 'I don't know what'
Bethsmum

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 23, 2011
Bora Bora wrote:Ahhhh, so the life of the party has awoken!!!!

I appreciate BM coming in to join us for the meet up, as well as the others who showed up. Ahhh, secrets!!! We did hold back a few of our own, but only to be revealed when it was just the 3 of us. OK guys - next time we all spill everything!!!!!

I still can't figure out if you are Frances/Francis. Your clothes and hair gave nothing away!!! Although you do eat a bit feminine, :o you drink like a sailor with a wooden leg!!!!! :shock:

Not wooden :P As I mentioned, dancing makes me limp :oops:

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:01 am --

benwj wrote:OK, I was working this time.

You are definetily on the list...in fact I think someone at the meet thought you were coming :oops:

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:05 pm --

BTW, BM good luck to your team...I did not realize you were such a fan...

-- Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:07 pm --

BTW, BM good luck to your team...did not realize you were such a fan... :shock:
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What A Great DF meet!! Oct 24, 2011
So it's not really a DF meet up then, unless it's open to ALL members and not just a select few invited by her highness and the minions. Why would we expect anything else.

A TRUE DF meet up as they used to be is posted and members are required to PM their attendance.

So please don't call it a Df meet up when it's not.

Otherwise I could say I had my very own DF meet up hanging out with Dubaidog whilst on holiday.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Oh chill, Choc, I also wasn't invited, but it seems some DF members had a good time together. When was the last official DF meeting according to you Choc?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Chocoholic wrote:So it's not really a DF meet up then, unless it's open to ALL members and not just a select few invited by her highness and the minions. Why would we expect anything else.

A TRUE DF meet up as they used to be is posted and members are required to PM their attendance.

Otherwise I could say I had my very own DF meet up hanging out with Dubaidog whilst on holiday.

Morning Chocs! Welcome back, I hope you had a good holiday :D I do have to say though, I would have thought you might have come back in a bit better mood, is it jetlag? :?

I would definitely call it a DF meet up but I was trying to arrange a party and not a boxing match :D

-- Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:25 am --

Flying Dutchman wrote: I also wasn't invited, but it seems some DF members had a good time together.

I don't know what happened to your invitation FD :oops: It must have got lost in the post!

Can I put you down as a 'definite maybe' for the next one?
Bethsmum

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 24, 2011
More like a JBR Community Forum meet-up? :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Chocoholic wrote:So it's not really a DF meet up then, unless it's open to ALL members and not just a select few invited by her highness and the minions. Why would we expect anything else.

Welcome back Chocs. Don't take it so personal. I can recall sometime back when you were posting about your meet up with the "old timers" and there was no posting inviting everyone. We had a nice turn out, had alot of laughs and now we all have some new mates. Besides, you don't like any of the people who got together. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

kanelli wrote:More like a JBR Community Forum meet-up? :lol:

Put your claws away Kanelli, there was only one person from JBR and that was moi :D
Bethsmum

I'm glad you all had a good time. It is always great to meet up with people you enjoy spending time with and have a lot in common with. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bora Bora wrote:

Welcome back Chocs. Don't take it so personal. I can recall sometime back when you were posting about your meet up with the "old timers" and there was no posting inviting everyone. We had a nice turn out, had alot of laughs and now we all have some new mates. Besides, you don't like any of the people who got together. :wink:

Ah but the 'old timers' know each other personally so it's not really a Df meet up is it? The differnce is we all met through DF meet ups which were held regularly and open to ALL.

So come on you guys don't be lame, do something and ask EVERYONE, personally I'd actually like to see people outside the forum to see if they're any different.

I actually had a super holiday, What's peed me off is coming back here, I very nearly didn't lol
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I loved the old meet-ups which were for everyone and centred around fun activities like bowling, ice skating, go-karting, karaoke etc. People weren't complete assholes to each other back then so no one felt weird about meeting up. Not the case today! Meet-ups have to be hand selected to keep out the undesirables. :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:I loved the old meet-ups which were for everyone and centred around fun activities like bowling, ice skating, go-karting, karaoke etc. People weren't complete assholes to each other back then so no one felt weird about meeting up. Not the case today! Meet-ups have to be hand selected to keep out the undesirables. :lol:

I think I can confidently say that no-one felt weird about meeting up.

Are you sure you aren't looking back with rose coloured specs K? When I first came to DF is was a battle ground :shock: I remember looking back at some old posts when Chocs was telling everyone to F.Off and somebody was asking if someone else was still alive :shock:
I remember clashing with Bora and Chocs sending me my very first PM telling me to keep up the good work!

Anyways I don't do bowling or ice skating, I wouldn't want to catch anyone else's verucaes.
Bethsmum

kanelli wrote:People weren't complete assholes to each other back then so no one felt weird about meeting up. Not the case today! Meet-ups have to be hand selected to keep out the undesirables. :lol:

Ilove it!!! Is that to say that they were partial assholes??? I'm sorry that you think you are considered undesirable Kanelli. Maybe you want to work on that? :lol: :lol:

I really don't understand what the issue is? Several people, all of which are members of DF, got together. So what? If the post was about DF members having a meet up rather than saying it was a DF meet up, would that have gone over any better?

-- Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:10 pm --

Bethsmum wrote:I remember clashing with Bora and Chocs sending me my very first PM telling me to keep up the good work!

:shock: First time I'm hearing about that!!! Was that when Chocs and I were mending our differences?? Did I get stabbed in the back???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote: :shock: First time I'm hearing about that!!! Was that when Chocs and I were mending out differences?? Did I get stabbed in the back???

It was when I was first on Bora, y'know the Bowel Movement/Britney era :D

Chocs was liking my work :shock: I think it went better than she had planned!
Bethsmum

I don't know who is, or was supposed to be invited, but it was a good time. In my view no one 'acted out' in person as they do on the forum - which was good to see. Looks like the next meet will just happen - no big fuss (which is probably why the meet up was so good).

Only problem is that now I am getting more pm's :shock: But obviously it is best to keep personal stuff out :P

As the weahter will cool off soon an outdoor meet might work best...lets thing of venues.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

I think best to keep the next venue private. Otherwise we will show up and see a few people scattered about trying to look inconspicuous with sunglasses on. :wink:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

hey chocs we can have our own DF meet up :wink:
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

Chocoholic wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Ah but the 'old timers' know each other personally so it's not really a Df meet up is it? The differnce is we all met through DF meet ups which were held regularly and open to ALL.

So come on you guys don't be lame, do something and ask EVERYONE, personally I'd actually like to see people outside the forum to see if they're any different.

I actually had a super holiday, What's peed me off is coming back here, I very nearly didn't lol

Looks like you didn't get an invite, join the club, hahahahahaha
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:Looks like you didn't get an invite, join the club, hahahahahaha

Oh, Sage.........you are never in Dubai anymore. :cry:

Besides, we are still waiting for an S&O BBQ which has been promised but seems not to be forthcoming.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Nucleus wrote:hey chocs we can have our own DF meet up :wink:

There you go Chocs!

Just get him to bring a mate and you can have your very own spit roast on Jumeirah Beach :drunken:

-- Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 am --

sage & onion wrote:Looks like you didn't get an invite, join the club, hahahahahaha

Sorry Sage, looks like that was my fault. :oops: I didn't think you were around!

Will you come to the next one? I'll let you wear my City scarf if you're good :D
Bethsmum

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 25, 2011
kanelli wrote:I loved the old meet-ups which were for everyone and centred around fun activities like bowling, ice skating, go-karting, karaoke etc. People weren't complete assholes to each other back then so no one felt weird about meeting up. Not the case today! Meet-ups have to be hand selected to keep out the undesirables. :lol:

I keep hearing about these 'old timers' meets but from what I heard at the last meet there are no 'old timers' left and someone there even wondered and mentioned that Kanelli and Chocs ('old timers' by join date, might not even have met (certainly not at the first meet - bowling- or the BIG meet at the Radisson in June 2006). Note that lots of 'info' was passed around...

So who are the 'old timers'?

Sage, it was mentioned that you no longer live in Dubai...otherwise you would have been there
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What A Great DF Meet!! Oct 25, 2011
interpretivist wrote:Judging from previous posts, I wouldn't want to invite Chocoholic either.

She will be invited...she might be a different person.

BTW, I am suspiciuos that with 5 posts you might be one of the 'incognito' attendees at the meet :P
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: What A Great DF meet!! Oct 25, 2011
It's really very simple. Don't call it a DF meet up, when it's something that wasn't open to ALL members, merely a select few.

The 'oldtimers' are people like myself, Kanelli (yes we do know each other off the forum), Sage, Dubai Knight, Dubaidog, Bushra, Arnie, Jamal, Princess Banahamuk, etc etc.

DF old meet ups were organised like this:

A thread is started to see what everyone would like to do, a venue, date and time is decided upon and those who wish to go do, those that don't, don't. Usually a member is delegated as organiser and people who wish to go are asked to PM them, so that you don't the issue of some members deciding whether to go or not depending on who else is going.

It worked very well on many occassions and that's how so many of the 'old skool' members know each other in person and have become firm friends. The majority of us have known each other personally for about 5 or 6 years now.

So simply, don't call something a DF meet up, when it clearly isn't.

@interpretivist who cares what you think!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat