Weird Things Going On In Dubai..

Topic locked
Re: Weird Things Going On In Dubai.. Dec 21, 2010
^^ BM your singature is visible yes, Why dont you find an animated flag , it would be more cooler ?

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Weird things going on in Dubai.. Dec 21, 2010
Zubber, BM doesn't do cool. BTW what is an animated flag? :?:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Like that ma'am , Animated meaning it moves , see what i mean ?

Go to google images - And the keyword is "Animated English Flag" or "Cool Animated English Flags" , then see the one you like and put that link in your signature :)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

( Off topic - Thanks to that plugin suggested by zubber I can block out all annoying large or distracting images in posters' signatures.)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

You mean like this?

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Yes Bora

Exactly like that :)

-- Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:08 pm --

kanelli wrote:( Off topic - Thanks to that plugin suggested by zubber I can block out all annoying large or distracting images in posters' signatures.)

Kanelli, you should also get CCLEANER, which will clean up all your tracks , everytime you startup you pc, this way the next person wont know what sites you have visited ;) , Although its not good to for keeping an eye on kids
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Off-topic: Zubber can you PM me the details to block unwanted images. Someone keeps putting up signatures that go from bad to worse. I know, I'm being lazy. :)
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

(Off-topic: Thanks zubber, I have ccleaner already for clearing my registries after removing software etc.)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Roger, Info dispatched ;)

-- Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:16 pm --

kanelli wrote:(Off-topic: Thanks zubber, I have ccleaner already for clearing my registries after removing software etc.)

k00l ;)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Bora Bora wrote:Off-topic: Zubber can you PM me the details to block unwanted images. Someone keeps putting up signatures that go from bad to worse. I know, I'm being lazy. :)

LOL Bora, are you refering to me? I just didn't want to be left out. :D
Bethsmum

(zubber, I can see why you are so popular. At least one of the reasons is you have shown a lot of us how to "block unwanted images". I have always felt one of the most tasteless things for anyone to do is to wave your country's flag on a friendly forum in peoples face. Sorry for being off-topic, but just had to say it!
As someone once said, patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel!) :bounce:
zonker
BANNED

Bethsmum wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Off-topic: Zubber can you PM me the details to block unwanted images. Someone keeps putting up signatures that go from bad to worse. I know, I'm being lazy. :)

LOL Bora, are you refering to me? I just didn't want to be left out. :D

Must I go into detail??? :lol: :lol:

Seems zonker is offended by your fag waving. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Fag waving ! :shock:
desertdudeshj

Re: Weird Things Going On In Dubai.. Dec 22, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:Fag waving ! :shock:

There's only one fag here, sunshine.

-- Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 am --

zonker wrote:(zubber, I can see why you are so popular. At least one of the reasons is you have shown a lot of us how to "block unwanted images". I have always felt one of the most tasteless things for anyone to do is to wave your country's flag on a friendly forum in peoples face. Sorry for being off-topic, but just had to say it!
As someone once said, patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel!) :bounce:

Zonker! Are you calling BM a scoundrel? Just because one changes one's signature to attract attention doesn't make one a scoundrel, does it DDS?
Bethsmum

Re: Weird things going on in Dubai.. Dec 22, 2010
Well, to get back on topic, I am fine after my tour of the ministries today! It has become ever so apparent today that the powers that be have no clue. It is very unfortunate that everyone from the DG to the gate guard at the Airport Freezone apologized for the disaster and for the person before. It seems that there was a stuff up and the import code for my device was translated to "Military-Grade Raid Service 16XX" whereas it should have read "Enterprise-Grade RAID Server 16TB". It also indicated there was one piece, not 10. Further to that, it shipped in parts, so they had no clue what it was (I'll post pics later). Most of the devices just look like black boxes with a power button and a DVD drive. It probably did not help that I had power supplies and other looking sinister devices in the package. ALTHOUGH a flag for them might have been the box of brochures and operations manual??!?!

The DG was great, polite and signed off with no reservation after I showed him what it was (I was also suited and booted from court). After I left there, off to the CID where they were total jagoffs but the UPS dude was cool and pointed out it was the bossman himself that cleared the goods. Back to UPS office, flap out 5K in duty, then off to customs "detained package section", the officers of course disputed and UPS showed them the CID stamp and DG signature, they opened one box and scrutinized it (sat in a chair while UPS dude unpacked what turned out to be a drawer) then said "fine, you can go". Drop UPS guy at the office, collect my mountain of paperwork, go to leave and the guard at the gate takes issue with some number not matching. I am told to pull over, so drive ahead and everyone loses their minds! Fortunately there was some bigwig having a cig and took it upon himself to re-re-re-re inspect.

Him: "Is this your name?"
DD:"yes"
Him:"Is this your company?"
DD:"No"
Him; "Is this your address?"
DD:"No"
Him:" The tracking numbers do not match anywhere"
DD:" Ok"
Him:" Let me count the packages"
DD:" ok"
Him:" I only count 9"
DD:" "there is one in the front seat"
Him:"Ok, you can go"

So I missed labour and immigration, but high-tailed it to the bottle shop for christmas cheer. Finally sitting down for a glass of veno after unpacking my missile launcher/RADAR-station-in-a-box. I now officially have a CID file (well it started last week) so that is pretty cool.

Oh, and Supreme Court was a bust. Today was verdict day, but the ruling was not entered in the system. Go figure. Guess I'll go back tomorrow.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

DD if you had asked, I have a contact high up, and could have sorted this with one phone call :D If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to ask. . It's not what you know, at the end of the day, but who :wink:
Bethsmum

What a day DD.
Put it down as a learning experience. Its a much better to do it when you are innocent.
So does it work in reverse? if I want to import some military kit all I have to do is put the import code down as RAID devices and they'll be none the wiser?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

This is just normal bureaucracy and procedure here with almost everything, many people don't have to deal with such things because either their PRO's or someone else does it for them so they don't realise. And keep in mind dubai is still better compared to some other emirates.

Where do you have a person specialy employed whose sole function is to deal with all the red tape.
desertdudeshj

Sounds like a fund day DD! What's up with the court crap though? The company needs to pay up - period. Can they not enforce their own rulings or what?!!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Well, congrats DD! You had us on tenterhooks here! Are you sure you are in one piece? No harm done to any vital organs?? :-D

@BM: The only time I might like that flag would be a beautiful naked blonde wrapped up in it! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

Good news DD. No trip for you to the desert!!!!

Glad it went well (or as well as could be expected :lol:).
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

zonker wrote:Well, congrats DD! You had us on tenterhooks here! Are you sure you are in one piece? No harm done to any vital organs?? :-D

@BM: The only time I might like that flag would be a beautiful naked blonde wrapped up in it! :lol:

Don't mess with me flag Zonker :D
Bethsmum

Well as far as I can see, this was a colossal failure of a duty of care by DAFZA. You said;

It is very unfortunate that everyone from the DG to the gate guard at the Airport Freezone apologized for the disaster and for the person before.

Which leads me to believe that your company is registered as a FreeZone company at DAFZA? This being the case, then DAFZA, with it’s own ‘CID’ Offices and dedicated Logistics and Customs Centre within their premises at the Airport, should have managed the whole misunderstanding internally.

I would make an appointment to see the DG, Dr Zarouni, and express my disappointment in no uncertain terms, DAFZA employ customer service managers specifically for this purpose and it would appear there was a failure on their behalf to support you the customer as is their ultimate responsibility. Dr Zarouni should welcome your comments and ensure control measures are introduced to reduce the risk of repetition.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

dubaidog wrote:16XX" whereas it should have read "Enterprise-Grade RAID Server 16TB"

Why did they make such a big fuss over a server ? I am sure a lot of companies have servers over the 16tb limit ? I dont understand why they were so sensitive ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
dubaidog wrote:16XX" whereas it should have read "Enterprise-Grade RAID Server 16TB"

Why did they make such a big fuss over a server ? I am sure a lot of companies have servers over the 16tb limit ? I dont understand why they were so sensitive ?

Something got lost in the translation..........

...........my device was translated to "Military-Grade Raid Service 16XX" whereas it should have read "Enterprise-Grade RAID Server 16TB".

I guess the word "military" triggered it. :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

This is just ridiculous , if all this trouble was caused due to a translation issue.

Out of curiosity dd , are you planning to host our own VPN ?

There has to be some other peripherals besides the server that must have raised some flags ?
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:This is just ridiculous , if all this trouble was caused due to a translation issue.

Out of curiosity dd , are you planning to host our own VPN ?

There has to be some other peripherals besides the server that must have raised some flags ?

I wish I still had copies of the documents. The ones I have obviously have some personal info I do not wish to share. Yes, it was all a translation issue. Some docs (like the DG of Customs and Cargo's release letter) are half English, half Arabic. As I said, even at that level, I noted the quantities were wrong and had to do a "do-over". What kills me is a simple google search or visit to the website would have cleared it all up.

Looking at it now, there are definitely sinister-looking peripherals that would not have x-rayed well, but the fact that no one could make a decision is what kills me. It took 36 hours to get here from the West Coast of the USA, but 3 days of full-time work to clear customs. I have never had this issue before and have imported these goods before.

Adding up all the info such as wrong address, a company name that does not exist, translation problems, I guess I see their point.

Now that the goods are all registered and corrected import codes, I do not suspect there will be errors in the future. I'll tell you one thing, I would not want to work for UPS, what a logistical nightmare!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

OMG , simply unbelievable , you would think that custom officials might atleast be familiar with strange looking goods , I am sure import export businesses must suffer a lot when dealing with electronic items ,
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:OMG , simply unbelievable , you would think that custom officials might atleast be familiar with strange looking goods , I am sure import export businesses must suffer a lot when dealing with electronic items ,

I was not the only one there with an issue. There was a guy from Samsung as well as Hitachi trying to get goods cleared. There is defo something up, as Samsung and Hitachi are a global operation.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Maybe that's why the UPS plane went down? The pilot had lost the will to live.
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat