Wearing A Dishdasha

Topic locked
Wearing a dishdasha Nov 27, 2010
  • Is it correct that only nationals are to allowed wear the dishdasha*?
  • Is wearing a dishdasha to work allowed or does one need to wear the headgear etc. along with it? If you're lazy, wearing it would be just wonderful - pop it on, head to work.

• * Long dress-like garment, generally in white. There are several variations in the collars. Is one specific for the nationals?

brucebanner
    Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Wearing a dishdasha Nov 27, 2010
    You can wear a dishdash without the headgear. I have an Emirati friend who, occasionally does not wear his headgear. Early morning, for instance . In my opinion, if you are not local, you look incredibly daft wearing a dishdash. I don't think you will be taken seriously, working in an office enviroment for instance, wearing a dress.
    Bethsmum
    UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

That is a good question, one I have wondered. The Khandoora or Dishdash is "traditional dress", not religious dress. I think it would look funny for a western guy (no clue if you are) to wear it. I was recently surprised to see an Egyptian friend wearing it in a Government office of all places....I have never seen him wear it and thought it odd. He is a bit douchy/shifty though so I am certain it was for a reason!

I have seen many western women wearing the abaya, especially in the court house and government offices and no one raises an eyebrow.
    dubaidog
    Dubai chat master

It s not against the law for a foreigner to wear the dishdasha, however Emirati's find it insulting even if they keep it quiet. A foreigner in dishdasha looks out of place anyways, leave it to them, better that way. I tried it, everybody talks to you in Arabic and it s very unpractical, restricted sight, you cannot run, high risk up and down the stairs,and forget the bathroom or driving a car....it s a mission.

-- Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:31 am --

dubaidog wrote:That is a good question, one I have wondered. The Khandoora or Dishdash is "traditional dress", not religious dress. I think it would look funny for a western guy (no clue if you are) to wear it. I was recently surprised to see an Egyptian friend wearing it in a Government office of all places....I have never seen him wear it and thought it odd. He is a bit douchy/shifty though so I am certain it was for a reason!

I have seen many western women wearing the abaya, especially in the court house and government offices and no one raises an eyebrow.

I wore the abaya, and no one raised an eyebrow either dubaidog.
    herve
    Dubai Forums Veteran

Bethsmum wrote: In my opinion, if you are not local, you look incredibly daft wearing a dishdash. I don't think you will be taken seriously, working in an office enviroment for instance, wearing a dress.

So true.
    dubaidog
    Dubai chat master

Bethsmum wrote:You can wear a dishdash without the headgear. I have an Emirati friend who, occasionally does not wear his headgear. Early morning, for instance . In my opinion, if you are not local, you look incredibly daft wearing a dishdash. I don't think you will be taken seriously, working in an office enviroment for instance, wearing a dress.

Do they not wear it in the office?

I'm certain I've seen several bank employees wear it.

What would one need to wear with the Khandoora or Dishdash to make it fit in a formal function?

herve wrote:It s not against the law for a foreigner to wear the dishdasha, however Emirati's find it insulting even if they keep it quiet. A foreigner in dishdasha looks out of place anyways, leave it to them, better that way. I tried it, everybody talks to you in Arabic and it s very unpractical, restricted sight, you cannot run, high risk up and down the stairs,and forget the bathroom or driving a car....it s a mission.

-- Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:31 am --

dubaidog wrote:That is a good question, one I have wondered. The Khandoora or Dishdash is "traditional dress", not religious dress. I think it would look funny for a western guy (no clue if you are) to wear it. I was recently surprised to see an Egyptian friend wearing it in a Government office of all places....I have never seen him wear it and thought it odd. He is a bit douchy/shifty though so I am certain it was for a reason!

I wore the abaya, and no one raised an eyebrow either dubaidog.

Is there a certain collar which the Emirati object people wearing? This is what I've been hearing.
    brucebanner
    Dubai Forums Enthusiast

herve wrote:I wore the abaya, and no one raised an eyebrow either dubaidog.

Haha.. well done, Herve. (I would type "touche", but don't know how to do the thinggy over the "e")
    dubaidog
    Dubai chat master

I have to say I prefer the proper head dress and not a baseball cap. It just looks so odd, a baseball cap and a dress! Whatever! My local friend never wears a baseball cap, he is very traditional. In the early mornings he usually abandons any kind of headgear.
    Bethsmum

Anyone can wear it there is no law against, but not everyone can pull it off. But if you can pull it off. Then expect everyone to speak to you in Arabic. Your workplace knowing your not Emarati nor speak Arabic will mind alot if you do wear it to work. But do expect to get into trouble if you make false claims to be Emarati.

Contarary to Herves experiences they dont mind it, maybe if a non arab or muslim did ? Not in the mood to go into lenghty references from personal experiences.

For govt depts Emaratis are required to wear it to work and nothing else will do, Shk Mohd insists, unless thier work requires something else.

But you cant just wear it any and expect to look formal, like you say just pop on the ghatra and agal for work. It would be akin to wearing a bussines jacket over a tshirt and jeans. lf you notice they are very meticlous about it, spend a good deal of time getting it just right. Most of it on Govt time. To the avg joe they all look the same. But one for work is different from the one for casual wear etc etc. There are even different ones for summer and winter including the "head gear".
    desertdudeshj

On my 50th in Dubai and we all went to the Heritage Village. My wife arranged DK to sort out the dish dash etc as a pressie. It well welcomed by the locals. In the loo getting it on and everyone helped out as they came and go lol.

It was a brill night.
    arniegang

I don't think people particularly mind, after all it isn't religious dress, it's traditional/cultural to the region and was worn because of the climate.
    Chocoholic
    Miss DubaiForums 2005

@Bruce
    yes, the Emiratis do wear the dishdash to the office, but what I meant was i would look daft on you as a non local. From your previous posts I take it you are British and intend to move to Dubai? My apologies if I'm wrong. If I were you I would stick to being British and not try to force yourself onto the locals by approaching their women or adopting their dress code. It doesn't work Bruce, you need to go back to the drawing board. If I were to take all your posts at face value (which I don't by the way) I would say do more research before arriving at Dxb. Rather, I think you're having a laugh.
    Bethsmum

Re: Wearing A Dishdasha Nov 27, 2010
    By law anyone can wear the white robe called Dishdasha

However only GCC Citizens can wear the Aqal , i.e. the black thing on top of the ghutra(which is the white or red chequered headgear).

So you wont be breaking the law if you wear Dishdasha + ghutra without the aqal, but people will find it funny.

Btw the baseball cap +dishdasha is much more common in Dubai and the Northern emirates (go to a Wasl game if you are not sure!). Its not that common in AUH, where people either wear the ghutra or just don western clothes altogether.
    BlackburnRovers
    Dubai Expat Helper

I wouldn't mind wearing one but I don't think it would suit me. On those hot summer months I bet its quite comfy with the internal ventiliation system.
    JoeTGF
    Dubai forums Addict

Re: Wearing A Dishdasha Nov 27, 2010
    With regard to collars, there is a "style" pertaining to different countries. Saudis also tend to have the sleeves made where they can wear cufflinks. In Abu Dhabi many locals wear agals that have long tassles on the back. You can spot a Kuwaiti a mile away because of how they wear the ghutra!!!

You will find many muslim Pakistani and "stateless" people who have been in the region for a very long time wearing dishdasha. The agal and ghutra is not worn by them, and that applies to Arabs of a different nationality who may wear dishdasha. It is strictly for Emirati. More than likely it would be frowned upon if Westerners wore dishdash on a daily basis.
    Bora Bora
    Dubai OverLord

Re: Wearing a dishdasha Nov 28, 2010
    I've lived in more than one gulf country, if you wear it outside no one will really bother, but wearing it to work ? Why dont you try it out and then post us your feedback ?
    zubber
    Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Wearing a dishdasha Nov 28, 2010
    OK, I think I can clarify this one pretty quickly:

The dish dash is 'National Dress' and can be worn by anyone. In fact locals are often delighted when 'westerners' wear it as it is like seeing Sheikh Mohammed or Sheikh Ahmed wearing a suit. It is not offensive to them at all and they always ask if you find it comfortable.

There are subtle differences between the style and design of the dish dash in each GCC country - the UAE one has no collar, 4 cotton buttons down the front and a tassel that hangs over the front. Traditionally white, it can be worn in a variety of subdued pastel colours and even black. The shoulder line is also cut differently with a V pattern in the front and back that accentuates the shoulder line. There are pockets on each side.
    Head wear is up to the individual and the ghutra can be worn with the Aghal (fan belt) which is a double coil and has a long double tassel hanging down at the back. The ghutra can also be tied, bedouin style, around the head, but the way it is done is very specific and there are parts that must stick out in the right places. The baseball cap has become the modern variation. The blingier, the better!

The Omani dish dash is similar, but without the V cut shoulder line and a tassel that appears from the collar to one side. It can be made in a striped material. Head wear is a multi-coloured ghutra with paisley patterns that is wound around the head tightly, or a white cappel with a high brim and flat top. This is often embroidered in matching white braid.

The Qatari dish dash has no tassel and has a plain round neck with whiye pearl buttons. A breast pocket is often included, however it is often 'blind' and not used. The head dress is the traditional white ghutra, but the there is only a single tassel hanging down from the aghal the back and it is not as long as the Emirati one.

The Bahraini dish dash has a 'Mandarin' style raised collar, which is traditionally worn unbuttoned except during formal occasions. There is a breast pocket and this is almost always stuffed with papers, money and a fountain pen! Head dress is a traditional white ghutra and double coil aghal with no tassel, worn long and piled up on top of the head.

The Kuwaiti dish dash has a western style shirt collar with a single button. Again, this is worn unbuttoned until a formal engagement. Breast pocket but only to hold a pen. White or red checked ghutra and a single coil aghal with the ghutra often piled on top.

The Saudi dish dash has a starched western style collar with two, sometimes 3, buttons. It is worn fully buttoned up at all times. Often the buttons are for show and it is actually secured with a series of poppers at the back. The ghutra is normally the red and white 'royal' type, worn with a double coil aghal with a short tassel, but a plain white one is also popular after the British started using the red and white checked one as tablecloths back in the 1930's!. It can be worn long, but often is piled on top, the higher the better! Spot a Saudi by his undertrousers, black socks and black formal business shoes!

There are also subtle differences between sleeves and cuffs, underwear and footwear. At all times, the dish dash should be spotlessly clean and, if possible, crease free. I know advocates who will shower and change 5 times daily and always appear perfect.

It is a practical form of dress, derived and evolved from the environment and climate of the region.

I support it!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
    Dubai Knight

Re: Wearing A Dishdasha Nov 28, 2010
    LOL spot on with the front pocket filled with folded up bits of paper and the obligatory pen

The most unpleasing to look at is the Saudi one specialy the new more tighter fitting ones with the ghutra piled up on top and formal dark shoes. The funniest has to be the Qatari when the ghutra is faned out like a cobra !
    desertdudeshj

Re: Wearing A Dishdasha Nov 29, 2010
    Thank you for the writeup, Dubai Knight - very informative.

I'm going to have one made in the Saudi style with pearl buttons. Can someone recommend a tailor?

If it seems like I'm joking, I'm not.
    brucebanner
    Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Brioni

and yeah I can really see you pimping this look

desertdudeshj

brucebanner wrote:Thank you for the writeup, Dubai Knight - very informative.

I'm going to have one made in the Saudi style with pearl buttons. Can someone recommend a tailor?

If it seems like I'm joking, I'm not.

First, where do you plan on wearing it? Second, you are in the UK aren't you??? Highly unlikely you are going to find a tailor there to make it. :lol:
    Bora Bora
    Dubai OverLord

I'll wear it in Dubai. I'll also have it made there when I visit again. I don't think I would entrust a UK tailor with making an Arab piece of clothing.

LOL! I feel as though you deliberately picked out the funniest picture. BTW, I was asking for tailors in Dubai.
    brucebanner
    Dubai Forums Enthusiast

brucebanner wrote:I'll wear it in Dubai. I'll also have it made there when I visit again. I don't think I would entrust a UK tailor with making an Arab piece of clothing.

LOL! I feel as though you deliberately picked out the funniest picture. BTW, I was asking for tailors in Dubai.

And what would be the point of you wearing it here? Trust me, locals are not going to find that a "compliment".
    Bora Bora
    Dubai OverLord

Hey hulkman, you do what you want regardless of what anyone sez eh, I fully support social experimentation in all its diverse forms.
    zubber
    Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Wearing a dishdasha Nov 29, 2010
    Er..No :?

Thats Prince Waleed bin Talal. One of the richest man in the world and thats is how Saudis wear it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Er..No :?

Thats Prince Waleed bin Talal. One of the richest man in the world and thats is how Saudis wear it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Waleed_bin_Talal

heh , why dont try to get a gold plated ferrari too while your at it HulKO :bigsmurf:
    zubber
    Dubai Forums Veteran

Thats Sultan of Brunei. You mixing up your rich folk.
    desertdudeshj

oops , My bad
    zubber
    Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat