Lebanese Guy Jailed For Wearing Offensive T Shirt!

Topic locked
Lebanese guy jailed for wearing offensive T shirt! Jun 26, 2009
RIDICULOUS!! and a sign of the blinkered, narrow minded mentality that exists here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8118426.stm

smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 26, 2009
I hope my "I'm rick james Bit*h" shirt does'nt get me in trouble :S
dresden
Dubai chat master

Re: Lebanese guy jailed for wearing offensive T shirt! Jun 26, 2009
smoggie wrote:RIDICULOUS!! and a sign of the blinkered, narrow minded mentality that exists here!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8118426.stm

Oh these Lebanese..when will they learn......by the way I wonder sometimes..why is it that the Lebanese are always at the receiving end??? :roll:
Scorpion King
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 26, 2009
The dude must be being his rude and arrogant labanese self that got him into trouble in the first place. I had a Pakistani friend who had quite a few stickers of naked and near naked women on his jeep.

The cops stopped him and nicely asked to please remove those stickers and he complied and went on his way uneventufully.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 26, 2009
Edited MOD
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 26, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:The dude must be being his rude and arrogant labanese self that got him into trouble in the first place. I had a Pakistani friend who had quite a few stickers of naked and near naked women on his jeep.

The cops stopped him and nicely asked to please remove those stickers and he complied and went on his way uneventufully.

Nope. My take on this is: his nationality is irrelevant. He got mixed up with a local...Whatever he said or did from then on on...he was going to lose. It is becoming a big problem.

Remember that most of the police are not local.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 29, 2009
In the end of the day, you have to follow the laws of the land. I'm glad this is happening in an Arab Moslim nation so now I have no problem hearing this said to Moslims in the West who complain of the 'racist' laws against the niqaab or polygamy.

Don't like it, leave. :)
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 29, 2009
ultimately, yes, that is what it comes down to.

The double standards is astounding though. On one hand they will use sexy images of Paris Hilton to make this place look happening and open, then on the other hand, jail and deport somebody for wearing a charity T shirt.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 29, 2009
smoggie wrote:ultimately, yes, that is what it comes down to.

The double standards is astounding though. On one hand they will use sexy images of Paris Hilton to make this place look happening and open, then on the other hand, jail and deport somebody for wearing a charity T shirt.

smoggie, you are getting paranoid LOL you seem like those black ppl in the US thinking every thing is a racist issue and they go like :
" why ? it's bcz I'm black isn't it " LOL

leave Paris Hilton out of it , she is my new wet dreams GF LOL
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 29, 2009
It's a total overreaction - as usual!

I've seen worse on adverts, tv here yet no-one moans about that.

Hmmm jailed for a month and deported for wearing an allegedly offensive t-shirt. Yet an Emirati kills his mate through wreckless driving, speeding around Mirdiff, smacks into a wall in a suped up car and gets a months suspended sentence!!!

Once again the UAE gets it all so terribly wrong.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:

smoggie, you are getting paranoid LOL you seem like those black ppl in the US thinking every thing is a racist issue and they go like :
" why ? it's bcz I'm black isn't it " LOL

Just making comments about what is reported old bean! that is what this forum is for.....Isn't it?

Stick to making comments about the subject rather than my alleged paranoia.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 29, 2009
The T'shirt was for PETA, but really are you gonna trust some Lebanese guy's statements coupled with the telegraph? Technically this guy must still be in jail or had been deported already.

But true Lebanese know how to argue. They ain't gonna stand down to nobody least of all in UAE. The other day I was at Etisalat there was this Lebanese guy pissed with his iphone or something, you should've seen the ruckus he created. Off course no one else would dare to that simply cause the rest are mostly cowards.

If the man changed his T into something else then he shouldn't have been arrested.

What does not make sense is this. The article states that the man changed and came back, only to see the cops waiting for him. So they did'nt catch him red handed. I don't think he was working in the bakery, not with those clothes. So why did he come back to the bakery? and how on earth were the cops so sure he'd come back to the bakery????

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ckham.html
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 29, 2009
Anybody with any self respect should stand up for what they believe in. I agree though....Too many pussys in this town!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:

Beware Kid last I heard she can telepathically transfer STD's . You may contract Herpes simply by dreaming bout her :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 29, 2009
smoggie wrote:Anybody with any self respect should stand up for what they believe in. I agree though....Too many pussys in this town!

in the guy defense , it is an over reaction to deport him just for wearing such a t-shirt however, you have to question why would he wear it in an Islamic culture knowing it will be looked at in nude way maybe not to the officials but to the public who will not stop and focus real hard to see what is written beneath it that's if they read English. and questioning the reason behind a Lebanon's guy wearing it !! coman we know how a showoff they are .

but if you wana talk about the double standers, then their shouldn't be locals in jails , correct smoggie ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 04, 2009
i dont know but their is culture differences, I mean still someone f coming from different country were she/he allowed 2 do watever they want and no one punish them so they will thnk the other country is like this tel they get the first hit.

I thnk he should b given a warning but not a depart from UAE.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 04, 2009
even f someone told me its a islamic country but stil then many thngs should be omitted f they really wana go and be as an islamic country.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat