Underworled And Overpaid Locals

Topic locked
Jul 12, 2007
firefingers is somewhat right though. it does cost the company a lot less to hire a local, the lady could have been more qualified for the position and so on and so forth...

about most foreigners stealing though....i wouldn't go that far. i know a lot of people that were cheated by some expats in their companies...but, i wouldn't say that most expats are like that.

bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2007
bushra21 wrote:cost the company a lot less to hire a local, the lady could have been more qualified for the position and so on and so forth....

You are right on hiring people with the most qualifications, but the lady in question is a secretary. To make 19k a month, she'd need a PhD in secretarism or something.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 12, 2007
gtmash wrote:
bushra21 wrote:cost the company a lot less to hire a local, the lady could have been more qualified for the position and so on and so forth....

You are right on hiring people with the most qualifications, but the lady in question is a secretary. To make 19k a month, she'd need a PhD in secretarism or something.

well for one thing we need to be clear on what sort of firm is she talking about, Gov or privet ! I know GOV jobs (Abu Dhabi ) pays this amount after the last increase in salaries this year.
firefingers

Jul 12, 2007
Gotta agree with some of the comments here.

Whether you like to admit it, or not, the playing field aint level. In my experience here, locals expect to be given instant respect without having earned it. The whole "arrogance" thing. They expect to have no responsibility and all the authority. If you pause for a sec and think about that, it's actually quite sad. Eventually, it's pretty easy to see many many companies here with the senior staff having little or no clue about how to do the jobs, but wanting all the kudos. The whole "promote them to the point of incompetency" thing.

And don't mention qualifications ! I have it on the very best authority that teachers can only put "good" or "excellent" on locals report cards. That applies if they have not even attended any lectures :roll: :shock: :evil: Unbelievable but true ! How the hell can these people survive in the real world ? They don't ! They are then spoon-fed and presented with senior roles in companies that they have no idea how to run and far less ability to even try.

So what about us expats ? Are we just pimping ourselves out to teh highest bidder ?
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 12, 2007
Gotta agree with some of the comments here.

Whether you like to admit it, or not, the playing field aint level. In my experience here, locals expect to be given instant respect without having earned it. The whole "arrogance" thing. They expect to have no responsibility and all the authority. If you pause for a sec and think about that, it's actually quite sad. Eventually, it's pretty easy to see many many companies here with the senior staff having little or no clue about how to do the jobs, but wanting all the kudos. The whole "promote them to the point of incompetency" thing.

And don't mention qualifications ! I have it on the very best authority that teachers can only put "good" or "excellent" on locals report cards. That applies if they have not even attended any lectures :roll: :shock: :evil: Unbelievable but true ! How the hell can these people survive in the real world ? They don't ! They are then spoon-fed and presented with senior roles in companies that they have no idea how to run and far less ability to even try.

So what about us expats ? Are we just pimping ourselves out to teh highest bidder ?
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 12, 2007
can i just say that peole jump all over 'locals' when they make those kinds of statements (rude generalizations) about others....but it seems to be the norm for some (expats) to speak that way of us.... kind of a double standard, no?

btw goose. i also have it on good authority that many locals work their bums off. some get held back in school because we are held at a higher standard than some, and some do not get hired at certain jobs because the agency holds the same ignorant thoughts that you seem to have about them.

yes, there may be some locals whose parents completely spoiled them to the point of incompetence, but there are also many out there who work for a living, study hard and try to break the stereotypical mold...

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/06/29/.html
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Secretaries are generally very well paid in this country Mash. Quite a few people I know earn in excess of 15K per month
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
g00se wrote:Gotta agree with some of the comments here.

No sir, it just happens that most of the jobs are taken by foreigners, cuz we rather stay home than being slaved over 3000 a month, it's all about the money after all, isn't it?

The only qualifications you guys came up with are the 1000,s faked one you bought yearly from your corrupted countries and schools like you are. Sorry but this is a fact. But finlly you guys got busted and that’s way companies prefers locals, the qualifications your talking about are questionable.

The locals doen not work is just a myth you guys created long time ago to steal our jobs but as you can see your time is up people.
firefingers

Jul 12, 2007
g00se wrote:Gotta agree with some of the comments here.

No sir, it just happens that most of the jobs are taken by foreigners, cuz we rather stay home than being slaved over 3000 a month, it's all about the money after all, isn't it?

The only qualifications you guys came up with are the 1000,s faked one you bought yearly from your corrupted countries and schools like you are. Sorry but this is a fact. But finly you guys got busted and that’s way companies prefers locals, the qualifications your talking about are questionable.

The locals does not work is just a myth you guys created long time ago to steal our jobs but as you can see your time is up people.
firefingers

Jul 12, 2007
KeithL wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Secretaries are generally very well paid in this country Mash. Quite a few people I know earn in excess of 15K per month

Man, what kind of friends do you have? Many of my Asian friends and some relatives all have engineering backgrounds (degrees from here, Asia, USA, etc), and none of them make much more than 15k, even after 30 years of service in top government positions (DEWA, Etisalat, etc). I have an engineering background too, but I chose not to follow it for this reason alone. Is typing-speed and call-taking valued more nowadays?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 13, 2007
firefingers wrote: isn't it probably because she is academically more qualified than you ? or you are simply not doing the job assigned to you in a proper official way that satisfy your firm?

Yes you're right she is more qualified than me. I have masters while she has just scraped through basic college.

You're again right - actually I dont do my work in a proper official way that satisfies my firm. I should from now on start spending time on the phone, insult people on the phone, speak poor english, lose potential customers, mess up the accounts, come to work late and play computer games in the office. Probably that should double my salary! :-)
arjun7ue
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 13, 2007
arjun7ue wrote:
firefingers wrote: isn't it probably because she is academically more qualified than you ? or you are simply not doing the job assigned to you in a proper official way that satisfy your firm?

Yes you're right she is more qualified than me. I have masters while she has just scraped through basic college.

You're again right - actually I dont do my work in a proper official way that satisfies my firm. I should from now on start spending time on the phone, insult people on the phone, speak poor english, lose potential customers, mess up the accounts, come to work late and play computer games in the office. Probably that should double my salary! :-)

All that actually should get you a promotion, according to the movie "Office Space."
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 13, 2007
Hi Guys,

I have seen in a largest semi govt firm, local guys are just recptionists and doing nothing not even attending fone calls and earning thousands per month with lots of other benifits.

I was surprised to see one of them was having new bmw 745 2007 model. :roll:
ilyas
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 13, 2007
I think you have to look at the whole picture here.

For instance DXB has only really been the busy financial hub that it is today over the past 10 to 15 years. Prior to this it was a small community (compared to other countries) of nationals.

Now there is a lot of money around and it's one of the top performers in the GCC. During this time a lot of people have come here for financial reasons and a majority do not plan to reside here permanently.

So in light of this I personally think it is good that the wealth of the Emirates is shared with it's own and some privilege has been placed their way (even though that is far from the case when it comes to the real amount of money here and it is also far from the picture of the stereo typed local). Yes there are some locals who are not ambitious or worthy of the job that they do - but there are also a lot of clever, very business savy locals as well.

I say all of this as I remember in the UK being student and practically not even having enough money for food sometimes - I kid you not. I lived in a house share where there was damp on the walls and the thing should have been knocked down for health reasons.

As a plan to get more money I managed to do some work by buying a car to use for delivering pizzas in the evening.

I bought the car itself from a local garage who was owned by a family friend. It was a 1.1 litre, two door rust covered hatchback for about 700DHS.

Whilst there I got talking to the garage owner and he told me how on the previous day two albanian refuges had been in and bought a car for 40,000DHS....they paid with a check from the government welfare system. I am about as local as you can get. My parents were born in the UK, grandparents, great grandparents etc etc.

When I think about this I kind of think 'good on the UAE for looking after your own first'.

As it is often said (and I can't believe I am going to say this) but for a lot of us if we don't like we can leave (apart from some genuine cases who are stuck here in debt without a passport).

This is my plan. I feel no attachment to the UAE as I am just a worker. I can't vote, I have no say, I am no more then a guest. For this reason I leave quite soon, along with quite a few other people I have spoken to whom feel the same.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jul 14, 2007
There is a good reason why we can't vote in Dubai Jabba.

Because if they gave citizenship to the expats and allowed them to vote, the country would end up being a run conglomeration of minorities and lobby groups, who form their own communities/gettos, and become further and further isolated from each other, to the point where about 50 years down the track, the locals get so pissed off that a race riot breaks out and the whole country goes to ****.

I feel like I have more rights in Dubai as an expat than in the country where I was born,
and if I ever step out of line, I would rightfully expect to be told to leave.
In fact, expats should be shouting locals drinks at the bar for being so accomodating.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 14, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:...snip...
I think you have to look at the whole picture here.

For instance DXB has only really been the busy financial hub that it is today over the past 10 to 15 years. Prior to this it was a small community (compared to other countries) of nationals.

Malbaris' were also there..apart from locals.. :D

jabbajabba wrote:
So in light of this I personally think it is good that the wealth of the Emirates is shared with it's own and some privilege has been placed their way (even though that is far from the case when it comes to the real amount of money here and it is also far from the picture of the stereo typed local). Yes there are some locals who are not ambitious or worthy of the job that they do - but there are also a lot of clever, very business savy locals as well.

For sure.. I can vouch for this.. there are some real good, old school business powerhouses..

I've no complaints on locals get paid more.. they should get paid more.. but I should be allowed to become a local.soon. :P
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Jul 14, 2007
benwj wrote:
I feel like I have more rights in Dubai as an expat than in the country where I was born,
and if I ever step out of line, I would rightfully expect to be told to leave.
In fact, expats should be shouting locals drinks at the bar for being so accomodating.

It's good that you enjoy your high-paying European expat package and all, but keep in mind that not all locals drink.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jul 14, 2007
no problem for me. ancle will get me not vry gud but sum good emirati papers so i can preetnd to b emarati , easy . i look sum like emarati , im short & skiny. wid fake papers & dishdash will b easy to get much moneys for workng vry little. if dat dont work i will prtnd to b south african or english person just paint my hair yellow and paint my skin red and then shout a lot & drink much alcohol a lot & do vry little work for much much pay .
LG
Dubai Forum User

Jul 20, 2007
Not all local secretries get 19,000 Aed for sure, some of us get 2000 Aed A month from social aid, Some work as bus driver and get less than 3k, but why she should not get 19k just because she is a loal!!!, some expat get 250k a month+bonus+benifits+++++ and i would say why not if they are qualified.
Also if u r a forigner what is the currency euavilance to the Dirhams in ur country,life became expensive in UAE compared to many other countries. 2k Aed might be the equivalent of 20k in some other countries
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 20, 2007
g00se wrote:

Tell me which school put "good" or "excellent" on locals report cards, I chalange u to give me the name of any school, and we are surviving in the real world , look at our country which is less than 40 years old and has achieved what other countries did not and will not achieve in 400 years, all what u see in our country was not a favior from expats or any other forigner, our great leaders are the one who planed,hired and paid who ever participate to this boom in our country. and we appreciate who ever was part of this success but dont foget our grand parents in the 50s no one came to their country or did them a favior because at that time they were poor, their food was only water and dates. If dont like this country u can go back to where u come from.
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 21, 2007
uaebadoo wrote:Not all local secretries get 19,000 Aed for sure, some of us get 2000 Aed A month from social aid, Some work as bus driver and get less than 3k, but why she should not get 19k just because she is a loal!!!, some expat get 250k a month+bonus+benifits+++++ and i would say why not if they are qualified.
Also if u r a forigner what is the currency euavilance to the Dirhams in ur country,life became expensive in UAE compared to many other countries. 2k Aed might be the equivalent of 20k in some other countries

19k is still a hell of a lot for an unqualified secretary! and an expat getting 250k will be highly qualified and very experience in a professional job. not a secretary!
Rosbif71
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007
LG wrote:no problem for me. ancle will get me not vry gud but sum good emirati papers so i can preetnd to b emarati , easy . i look sum like emarati , im short & skiny. wid fake papers & dishdash will b easy to get much moneys for workng vry little. if dat dont work i will prtnd to b south african or english person just paint my hair yellow and paint my skin red and then shout a lot & drink much alcohol a lot & do vry little work for much much pay .

Oh Please!
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 21, 2007
Rosbif71 wrote:
uaebadoo wrote:Not all local secretries get 19,000 Aed for sure, some of us get 2000 Aed A month from social aid, Some work as bus driver and get less than 3k, but why she should not get 19k just because she is a loal!!!, some expat get 250k a month+bonus+benifits+++++ and i would say why not if they are qualified.

19k is still a hell of a lot for an unqualified secretary! and an expat getting 250k will be highly qualified and very experience in a professional job. not a secretary!

You seem a trite bitter and twisted Rosbif, maybe the UAE isn't for you.

Here in Blghty and espin Gov't, local Gov't and large Corp Industry there is this thing called "jobs for the boys". Its no different to a UAE local being given preferential treatment.

I bet if it was you, you would not be complaining, but sadly it wasnt you and she probably earns more than you - such a shame.

Fair play on her i say

:P :P
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 23, 2007
arniegang wrote:Here in Blghty and espin Gov't, local Gov't and large Corp Industry there is this thing called "jobs for the boys". Its no different to a UAE local being given preferential treatment.

To be fair though 'jobs for the boys' or what school tie you had only really applies to a small fraction of law firms and stock brokers. Not main stream public services such as telecoms, water & electric.

Never once have looked though the evening standard for a job and seen 'locals only' - they would have a tribunal on there as5 before you could say 'tally ho!'.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Jul 23, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:
arniegang wrote:Here in Blghty and espin Gov't, local Gov't and large Corp Industry there is this thing called "jobs for the boys". Its no different to a UAE local being given preferential treatment.

To be fair though 'jobs for the boys' or what school tie you had only really applies to a small fraction of law firms and stock brokers. Not main stream public services such as telecoms, water & electric.

Never once have looked though the evening standard for a job and seen 'locals only' - they would have a tribunal on there as5 before you could say 'tally ho!'.

I disagree mate, the only difference in the UK is that we are not allowed due to Emp Law and the PC Brigade to advertise as such.

And....... even so a lot of jobs adverts are there because its equal opportunities. At interview however, internal and favoured candidates always win the day.

It is a fact that the GMC guideline for employment when a UK doctor applies for a hospital post against a equally qualified Foreign Doctor, the Trust MUST appoint the UK Trained Doctor.

In DXB its open, in the UK its shhhhhhhhhhhh.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 24, 2007
true, but that happens everywhere arnie not just in the UK. it's just like you said, the UAE is just open about it whereas places like the UK and US are bound by law to not be...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 24, 2007
At the end of the day, I have no problem at all with massive salaries AS LONG AS THE PERSON CAN DO THE DAMN job ! Sitting around, drinking tea, smoking endless fags, playing tetris, texting mates and being as lazy as possible is NOT professional in ANY culture !!

In my experience here, local secretaries who have been hired [coz the Powers That Be have dicatetd it] have been useless. One kept rolling in an hour-ish late for three days. On the fourth day, she complained to the Director that she was "tired" and wanted to go home at 1pm [he refused]. The next day, she quit. The most galling thing was that she sat next to a Filipina who was on almost A HALF her salary and who worked tirelessly, with a smile and real energy. I for one, was glad when this woman left. Unfortunately, her [again local] replacement refused to do so-called menial tasks, was forever on her mobile and left after two weeks !

I'm CERTAIN that this is NOT representative of the local UAE workforce. But in my experience, what I have seen is unworthy of the term "professional".
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Underworled and Overpaid Locals Jul 29, 2007
HP wrote:I think they are trying to encourage their own nationals to come and learn something

Agree
general16
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jul 29, 2007
Jeevan wrote:Arjun, its their country and they will do what they find fit for the local population. IF our home countries had the same policy none of us would have been here to earn a few more bucks.

Agree also.
general16
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Underworled and Overpaid Locals Jul 30, 2007
general16 wrote:
HP wrote:I think they are trying to encourage their own nationals to come and learn something

Agree

HP, I thought you are from pakistan man !! the only thing you guys learned is truck driving , now you don't expect the wealthy to do so ! do you ? LOOOOOOOOOL

and for all of you idiots, there are locals graduates by hundreds who can not find jobs bcz of your sorry as*es taking those jobs, I would advice you guys to be quit about it befor the GOV notes and start kicking your as*es out to your countries and ones again going back to your dark ages life style LOOOOL
firefingers

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat