Why Are Some Locals Psychos???

Topic locked
Re: Why are some locals psychos??? Aug 27, 2006
jag wrote:

Was happily on the way to Madinat for a beer with a mate today early afternoon.

Was on a two lane road with my mate in his car. There was a blacked out new lexus in front of us. He was going like 40-50 km/hr max. My mate waited a bit, then gave him a flash to move over. Nothing.

Then my mate honked and gave another flash. This psycho local then slams on the brakes. We had to slam pretty hard to avoid hitting him too. Then I told me mate forget it. So we picked upa little speed and the jerk slammed again. So we had to as well.

I'm neither a local nor a psycho (as far as I can tell) and would have done the same thing as the "local".

Think it over, someone in front of you is going slower (for whatever reason) and you are behing (in no rush or emergency) situation. Was there a need to flash or honk (i doubt it), could you have overtaken him (before you began flashing, etc.) I would guess there was opportunity to do so (particulary if he was going 40-50 kms).

As I read it the whole incident would not have happened had your friend not flashed, honked, etc. Hope the beers were worth the aggrevation.

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
jag wrote:

Was on a two lane road with my mate in his car. There was a blacked out new lexus in front of us. He was going like 40-50 km/hr max. My mate waited a bit, then gave him a flash to move over. Nothing.

Then my mate honked and gave another flash. This psycho local then slams on the brakes. We had to slam pretty hard to avoid hitting him too. Then I told me mate forget it. So we picked upa little speed and the jerk slammed again. So we had to as well.

I'm neither a local nor a psycho (as far as I can tell) and would have done the same thing as the "local".

Think it over, someone in front of you is going slower (for whatever reason) and you are behing (in no rush or emergency) situation. Was there a need to flash or honk (i doubt it), could you have overtaken him (before you began flashing, etc.) I would guess there was opportunity to do so (particulary if he was going 40-50 kms).

As I read it the whole incident would not have happened had your friend not flashed, honked, etc. Hope the beers were worth the aggrevation.

No, there was not really an easy opportunity to take him over easily as there were other idiots driving weirdly in the right lane. There is no reason to go half the speed limit in a lane that is meant for passing!

The whole incident would not have happened if the idiot was driving like he should. And we honked lightly and flashed him once or twice.. hardly anything compared to what some locals do with multiple flashing and tail gating now is it?

So you would do the exact same thing eh? Brake hard and swerve like a maniac. Glad there arent too many people like you around on the roads bloody hell!! And maybe the person you do it with wont be so nice and will get out and do not so nice things to you.. good luck! :roll:
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2006
The police will actually tell you that it's the people going slow in the left hand 'over-taking' lane and the second lane that cause the most problems, as they force people to go around them.

Every lane left of the slow lane is an overtaking lane - period!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2006
Bushra, Chocs Those are both brutal stories, that is just F'd up.

Driving in from the burbs every morning I notice a lot of people just parking in the left lane on SZR, it isn't right and mostly the people in the cars are expats not locals. there are A$$es from all walks of life. the thing that people don't realize is then people who choose to drive faster just start overtaking on the right, i guess technically undertaking and that is 100% more dangerous.

i second Freza's comments.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 27, 2006
Choco is a faster typer than I, hehehehe, I echo her statements, these people that just go slow in the left lane are a huge problem.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

jag wrote:
Concord wrote:
jag wrote:

No, there was not really an easy opportunity to take him over easily as there were other idiots driving weirdly in the right lane. There is no reason to go half the speed limit in a lane that is meant for passing!

The whole incident would not have happened if the idiot was driving like he should. And we honked lightly and flashed him once or twice.. hardly anything compared to what some locals do with multiple flashing and tail gating now is it?

So you would do the exact same thing eh? Brake hard and swerve like a maniac. Glad there arent too many people like you around on the roads bloody hell!! And maybe the person you do it with wont be so nice and will get out and do not so nice things to you.. good luck! :roll:

But Jag,

The problem is their are many people like this on the roads of the UAE, I have no idea what kind of complex they suffer from, however I would like to see them drive in Europe like that, the reactions would certainly be different.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 27, 2006
Yeah you'd get a baseball bat through your windscreen, have your tyres slashed or be beaten about the head with a tyre iron.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 27, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah you'd get a baseball bat through your windscreen, have your tyres slashed or be beaten about the head with a tyre iron.

Is this the voice of experience Chocs??
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 27, 2006
Yknow what, it is true.. there are just too many idiotic drivers on the roads in the UAE. Probability is more likely than not, you will run into one of these maniacs sooner or later. :(

Guess you just have to ignore them or get sucked into the possible dangerous aftermath.

I just told my mate later on, look do you want to spend a good portion of your life in the (shudder) UAE prisions? Is it worth it? Fact is, many of them are really vengeful and will go out of their way to screw you over. I can completely relate to Chocs and Bushra's stories... and these kind of things in the UAE are not uncommon.

Hell, just yesterday wife was driving to the mall by herself (day time) and another local weirdo starts following her and trying to cut in lanes. What is wrong with them?? So she just finally pulled over near a restaurant with other cars double parked and the psycho slowed down and went away. She took a pic of his plate too, maybe that did it, who knows.

You guys wanna see some shit that really happens here, go to uaeprisons.com. Its blocked here though, but if you have access in certain areas without proxy, check it out... now that is some SCARY shit.
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 27, 2006
those bad drivers should not be given a driver's license. :?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 27, 2006
zam wrote:those bad drivers should not be given a driver's license. :?

Fine idea Zam, but how to do it?.

Going back to some of the previous stuff where you get the age old line;
"Do you know who I am"?

Who is going to control it when many of these guys are more powerful than the police?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat