It's Tricky Trying To Follow The Rules

Topic locked
It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 05, 2011
Oh tricky tricky. So on one they've clarified that there isn't actually a law stating that national dress can't be worn in places where alcohol is served, yet many venues and events are told to ban people wearing national dress.

http://www.7days.ae/article/news/nation ... carf-29809

I feel sorry for the poor girl to be honest. I don't know what the solution to this issue is, but discriminating against people for their cultural and religious beliefs in a muslim country really isn't on.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: It's Tricky Trying To Follow The Rules Oct 05, 2011
People have to "disguise" themselves as non-Muslims in order to drink or be around others who drink (even if they don't themselves). Seems a bit dishonest and discriminatory to me, but makes for better PR. Then outsiders who look in can't say they saw a lot of Muslims/Emiratis enjoying music and/or drinking booze at events...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

When did a headscarf become "national" dress?

If that is the case, there were quite a few local girls (from Dubai and AD) that when they exited the cars with their headscarf and abaya on they took both off only to reveal they were wearing the tiniest bikinis - not burkinis!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 05, 2011
It's not National dress, it's Islamic dress - the writer got it wrong. But still it's not the venue's fault for adhereing to the rules made by the Dubai Government.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Clearly the writer is an idiot. Headline refers to "headscarf" followed by a caption referring to GCC National Dress. Actually, it has nothing to do with the venue. It was the ticket sellers and the promoter.

Time Out Tickets, which sold tickets to the event, states on its website: “UAE law does not permit the wearing of the Arab Gulf Cooperation Council national dress... to events where alcohol is on sale.”

7DAYS contacted Time Out Tickets but did not get a response. It has, though, changed its terms and conditions to say “UAE custom and practice” does not permit national dress.

However, Tyler Mervyn, managing director of Live Nation, the event’s promoter, said: “It is out of respect for the culture, rules and regulations of the city of Dubai. As a nightclub event, we are advised that as alcohol is for sale, we cannot have anyone in national dress. This is also Nasimi’s policy. We don’t want to discriminate against anyone. We’re just trying to follow the rules.”

That is not a policy or a condition (as stated below) at Atlantis.

Then you have this in the article:

The Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing told 7DAYS that there was no law banning people in national dress from going to venues where alcohol is on sale.

But, it said that some places or events are told not to let them in as part of the conditions of their alcohol licence.

If they breach this condition, they can be prosecuted.

If you have ever been to Atlantis, which has several drinking establishments, you would see plenty of people there in national dress. Go to any restaurant (especially Nobu) and you will see some having wine or spirits. So the "condition" stated by the DTCM is not enforced at the Atlantis. The entrance to the event was covered by the ticket sellers, not Nasimi staff.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 05, 2011
But ehn to hold the event, the promoters might have been told they can't allow this kind of dress, in order for them to have the liquor licence for it. I certainly know that venues which operate as nightclubs are definitely not allowed to let that attire in. Restaurants and bars are a whole different story.

I don't think it warranted being on the front page of the paper. The people running the event are simply sticking to the rules of their permit, that's all.

I do find it a shame though, but what could she have done? She could have worn a cap or a hat instead to cover her head, then they wouldn't have had a problem.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 14, 2011
shazia31 wrote:thanks dear for doing some thing special for us, i am proudly to say i m administrator of, ijobscity, jobs in dubi, jobs in shajrah, jobs in uae, accounting jobs, sales executive, accounts assistant, ijobscity

Please find me a job?? :D
zonker
BANNED

Re: It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 14, 2011
zonker wrote:
shazia31 wrote:thanks dear for doing some thing special for us, i am proudly to say i m administrator of, ijobscity, jobs in dubi, jobs in shajrah, jobs in uae, accounting jobs, sales executive, accounts assistant, ijobscity

You can come and work for me Zonker. :D
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: It's tricky trying to follow the rules Oct 16, 2011
Bethsmum wrote:
zonker wrote:

You can come and work for me Zonker. :D

You have beaten Shazia to it BM.
I'll be happy to be your personal Hairdresser! :D
I know work will be light as you frequently go to that 'woman' across the street :lol:
zonker
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat