This Is Life Now..

Topic locked
This is Life Now.. Jun 02, 2006
Received this by email, so I haven't written it myself. But I did find it-sadly- to be very realistic that I thought of sharing it with everyone here..

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less. We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We have learned how to make a living, but not a life; we have added years to life, not life to years. We have been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We have cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We have split the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We have learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information to produce copies than ever, but have less communications. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships. These are times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet to kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit DELETE.

beachbelle
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 02, 2006
arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo plzzzzzzzz Hiya has infiltrated other members usernames and passwords

:shock: :shock: :shock:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 02, 2006
i would just hit DELETE
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 02, 2006
it's 100% right, unfortunatelly...
and the problem is that we r to busy to stop and think about it and to shallow to try to make it better. i found it interesting! :)
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo plzzzzzzzz Hiya has infiltrated other members usernames and passwords

poor girl...now her name is associated with all crap posted in DF!
give her a break dear arnie, she hasn't been with us from a long time :roll:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooooooooo plzzzzzzzz Hiya has infiltrated other members usernames and passwords

:)

arnie is right, when i woke up after reading the first three lines i thought the same thing
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Jun 02, 2006
Alex

I wish you and Raidah would stop refering to people and in particular me as "dear".

It is considered a condescending way of addressing someone when spoken in th UK with one exception.

The term "dear" is considered only for use respectfully by those who are considered elderly when addressing someone much much younger, generally a child.

To use it in reverse is considered disresptfull and rude.
arniegang

Jun 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:Alex

I wish you and Raidah would stop refering to people and in particular me as "dear".

It is considered a condescending way of addressing someone when spoken in th UK with one exception.

The term "dear" is considered only for use respectfully by those who are considered elderly when addressing someone much much younger, generally a child.

:oops: and i am sure that u did not take it as an ofense cause it was none coming from me.....and i only speak for myself here. thanks for enlightening me though! now if u r bothered by this that's another story and be sure that i wont refer to u as DEAR again. as i was not aware of the UK way of using this word. just to make it clear for u: i used it as a simple word, in an amicable way to define some affinity i have for u as a friend! this was all and if u r ofended than there is not much i can do do explain it better :roll:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2006
I am not offended by it Alex at all and no offense was taken. Other words to show affection can be mate, buddy, pal for males and babe, babes, darling, honey etc.

Some of these can be used in reverse, ie babes is acceptable for female to male as well as male to female, as is mate, darling and honey. These words do not incur age barriers.

there you go babes.

:wink: :wink: :wink:
arniegang

Jun 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:I am not offended by it Alex at all and no offense was taken. Other words to show affection can be mate, buddy, pal for males and babe, babes, darling, honey etc.

Some of these can be used in reverse, ie babes is acceptable for female to male as well as male to female, as is mate, darling and honey. These words do not incur age barriers.

there you go babes.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

ok buddy! hope u wont charge a lot for the English lesson! :shock: :lol:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 02, 2006
r u playing a role today Arnie? just to see what kind of reaction u get? because uve been lecturing all afternoon. ur right, we/i will probably never speak english on the level u do, since if im not mistaken, ur from england, which makes u a native speaker, smthing i cannot tell about myself. but that does not mean i can t make myself understood, or cannot for that matter make a joke and assume that it will be understandable for the others.

now about me being "almost" rude. u could have said that in case u were that typical always serious grandpa, which one can be no matter the age and which u r not(when i first read ur posts i thought u r in ur twenties). and since ur always up to smthing "silly" and ready to make jokes, i assumed u can take it and enjoy taking it from the other side too.

now if i have been rude or anything close to it, sorry for that. it won t happen again, be sure of that. furthermore, any attempt on my being funny or a teaser regarding u, will happen only upon the personal necessity to get another portion of lecturing.

anyway, ill continue to have a good laugh whenever u post smthing funny. :wink:
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 02, 2006
Raidah

please see my and zoots other comments in the thong thread, i hope it explains all and put's it in a better perspective.

I have the highest regard for people like yourself who are able to speak and write english as well as many of you do.

I cant speak for other languages, but in some respects the Eng Lang can at times be quite complex.

You spoke earlier of the use of "sarcasm". To use this fully and to create the right "tone" and "effect", there is a very fine line between achieving that and it starting to border on being read as rude/offensive.

Unless your command of the language is absolutely and totally fluent, using sarcasm is not really wise. There is a huge difference between "humour" and using "sarcasm" to create humour.

As you quite correctly pointed out, i am all for having a laugh and a joke. But if you read my posts i rarely use sarcasm when responding to those i feel may not be able to understand the concept of it.

Sarcasm is really, in the main, used when entering into an arguement and used to make a point, without it being taken as offensive. But more often than not it actually is taken as offensive and this is what has happened today.
arniegang

Re: This is Life Now.. Jun 03, 2006
beachbelle wrote:Received this by email, so I haven't written it myself. But I did find it-sadly- to be very realistic that I thought of sharing it with everyone here..

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers; wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less; we buy more, but enjoy it less. We have bigger houses and smaller families; more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees, but less sense; more knowledge, but less judgment; more experts, but more problems; more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry too quickly, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too seldom, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We have learned how to make a living, but not a life; we have added years to life, not life to years. We have been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet the new neighbor. We have cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We have split the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We have learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information to produce copies than ever, but have less communications. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion; tall men, and short character; steep profits, and shallow relationships. These are times of world peace, but domestic warfare; more leisure, but less fun; more kinds of food, but less nutrition. These are days of two incomes, but more divorce; of fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throw-away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer to quiet to kill. It is a time when there is much in the show window and nothing in the stockroom; a time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit DELETE.

The post makes sense but it's degraded because of too many antonyms.
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 03, 2006
alexandra wrote:

On the flip side for someone who has never posted much she holds a huge amount of DF fame!! She is one of the few newbies who has the regulars creating new posts all about her ....
ajb
Dubai chat master

Jun 03, 2006
ajb wrote:
alexandra wrote:

On the flip side for someone who has never posted much she holds a huge amount of DF fame!! She is one of the few newbies who has the regulars creating new posts all about her ....

she's so notorious...and yeah i agree, too much fame for nothing just some crap :twisted:
alexandra
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 03, 2006
arniegang wrote:Raidah

please see my and zoots other comments in the thong thread, i hope it explains all and put's it in a better perspective.

I have the highest regard for people like yourself who are able to speak and write english as well as many of you do.

I cant speak for other languages, but in some respects the Eng Lang can at times be quite complex.

You spoke earlier of the use of "sarcasm". To use this fully and to create the right "tone" and "effect", there is a very fine line between achieving that and it starting to border on being read as rude/offensive.

Unless your command of the language is absolutely and totally fluent, using sarcasm is not really wise. There is a huge difference between "humour" and using "sarcasm" to create humour.

As you quite correctly pointed out, i am all for having a laugh and a joke. But if you read my posts i rarely use sarcasm when responding to those i feel may not be able to understand the concept of it.

Sarcasm is really, in the main, used when entering into an arguement and used to make a point, without it being taken as offensive. But more often than not it actually is taken as offensive and this is what has happened today.

Also, I find that sarcasm doesn't really work as effectively when its typed. Much better when its spoken, because you can use a different tone of voice so that its instantly recognisable as sarcasm. With the written word, it can so easily be taken out of context!
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 03, 2006
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...used most frequently by the lowest form of shit!"

Not sure who said that, but think it was Oscar Wilde!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Jun 03, 2006
i won t even bother to comment this last post...
raidah

Re: Jun 06, 2011

Oh at long last!! Someone out there agrees with my sentiments totally. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm eternally grateful :D
yummybrummy
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: This is Life Now.. Jun 06, 2011
You dragged up a 5 year old thread just to say that?! :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Re: Jun 06, 2011
yummybrummy wrote:

Oh at long last!! Someone out there agrees with my sentiments totally. Thank you so much for posting this. I'm eternally grateful :D

Thanks dear.
benwj

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat