The Mystery Of Cabs In UAE.

Topic locked
Feb 12, 2008
It's because non-whites are notoriously bad tippers....

craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
Never heard people give them tip.
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
Then you're a "non-white" :lol:

But it's true cabs here are crap. I've given up on them. In fact the few days I don't have my car I either stay home or rely on my friends.

Then again, that is true for most places in the Middle East, or maybe uhh every country in the world :P
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
Wouln't say it's close to this in Sweden. In Sweden they are like heaven, comparing to this. Been to Egypt too, crappy cars, but still not being treated like Sharjah taxis.

But as we are speaking about this I have some questions. How easy is it to get a taxi-driver-job? What do they have to do, to get driver-license? Is there any control, does it cost much, how long do they work, do they get kind of good salary, or is like cleaning, etc?

Fill me in!
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
Aren't you a female? Why would you wanna be a taxi driver? Or did I misunderstand?

Anyway I don't know the answers to your questions but this would be my assumption. Getting a taxi-driver job should be easy enough as there aren't too many requirements. Competition may be a problem though.
Also I believe the taxi driver's license is the same as a normal license. If someone doesn't have one it may take you 1 month to 1 year to get it. Yes I've heard it take that long for some people. Though they seem to all be Indian. Don't know if it's prejudice or Indians just suck at driving :lol: I think it's a little of both :P
It would cost about AED 3500 - 4000 to do it through the Police.
As for how long taxis work, I think one told me he worked for 12 hour shifts. Donno how flexible that is. As for the salary, no I don't think it's anything decent, but it would definitely be better than a janitor. Maybe AED 4000 - 5000 a month? Not sure.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
That would be pretty much anyway. Some work at offices and only get 1500dhs per month.

Oh well, those taxi people irritate me so much that I don't know what to do.

Yes, I am a female. I was just wondering cause I suddenly got intersted in everything that has to do with this kind of work and people, cause I just want to understand the stupidy of this =)
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
MC wrote:Aren't you a female? Why would you wanna be a taxi driver? Or did I misunderstand?

Anyway I don't know the answers to your questions but this would be my assumption. Getting a taxi-driver job should be easy enough as there aren't too many requirements. Competition may be a problem though.
Also I believe the taxi driver's license is the same as a normal license. If someone doesn't have one it may take you 1 month to 1 year to get it. Yes I've heard it take that long for some people. Though they seem to all be Indian. Don't know if it's prejudice or Indians just suck at driving :lol: I think it's a little of both :P
As for how long taxis work, I think one told me he worked for 12 hour shifts. Donno how flexible that is. As for the salary, no I don't think it's anything decent, but it would definitely be better than a janitor. Maybe AED 4000 - 5000 a month? Not sure.

Its just prejudice..

k on the topic..People do tip cabbies... I'm not so used to it..I dont really tip them unless i'm drunk :P or the cabby is mannerly..

And I think tipping can be real bad at times. coz
1. its hard on other people who cant afford to tip everytime they get into a cab.
2. Cabbies develop a biased view on the ppl waiting for cabs n tend to pick up only them whiteskins.. :|
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 12, 2008
Burken wrote:That would be pretty much anyway. Some work at offices and only get 1500dhs per month.

Oh well, those taxi people irritate me so much that I don't know what to do.

Yes, I am a female. I was just wondering cause I suddenly got intersted in everything that has to do with this kind of work and people, cause I just want to understand the stupidy of this =)

Yeah true, but I could be wrong, they might be earning a lot less.

Anyway maybe it has to do with driving in the UAE for so long in general. Sometimes I think I'm gonna go crazy with the way people drive here. And they have to go through that each day for 10 - 12 hours. So they will likely be in a bad mood for much of the day. Probably plenty of other reasons too. There was a story last year of a taxi driver who burnt himself to death because his company wouldn't allow him to go visit his family in his home country. Quite disturbing.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 12, 2008
Burken wrote:Wouln't say it's close to this in Sweden. In Sweden they are like heaven, comparing to this. Been to Egypt too, crappy cars, but still not being treated like Sharjah taxis.

But as we are speaking about this I have some questions. How easy is it to get a taxi-driver-job? What do they have to do, to get driver-license? Is there any control, does it cost much, how long do they work, do they get kind of good salary, or is like cleaning, etc?

Fill me in!

Try reading the whole topic from the start Burken, you might see some answer to your questions....

Tipping taxi drivers is not a norm here....its those tourist who started the tippings which made these poor cabbies assume that tipping is a must irregardless of how crappy their driving is.

Imagine this..these hard-pressed cabbies working in 12 -16 hrs everyday taking 2500 max....living alone in miserable conditions away from theirs wife and children. How would you feel? :shock:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
MC wrote:Aren't you a female? Why would you wanna be a taxi driver? Or did I misunderstand?

Its just prejudice..

k on the topic..People do tip cabbies... I'm not so used to it..I dont really tip them unless i'm drunk :P or the cabby is mannerly..
And I think tipping can be real bad at times. coz
1. its hard on other people who cant afford to tip everytime they get into a cab.
2. Cabbies develop a biased view on the ppl waiting for cabs n tend to pick up only them whiteskins.. :|

I wonder how they possibly get that biased view?
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 13, 2008
craigindubai wrote:

hmm.. most of the Indians, Pakistanis, Pinoys etc dont tip cabbies.. Atleast abt Indians I can say that coz, a) its not a practise/culture/custom in India b)a lot of them cant afford it c)Regardless of how rich they r .. Indians are skinflints when it comes to tipping. Its seen as.. 'oh s/he's doing is duty. y should one tip him/her', or 'thats what s/he gets paid for'.

And usually people from the western countries tip, as its part of their custom, culture and.. the result is biased treatment from cabbies.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
craigindubai wrote:

hmm.. most of the Indians, Pakistanis, Pinoys etc dont tip cabbies.. Atleast abt Indians I can say that coz, a) its not a practise/culture/custom in India b)a lot of them cant afford it c)Regardless of how rich they r .. Indians are skinflints when it comes to tipping. Its seen as.. 'oh s/he's doing is duty. y should one tip him/her', or 'thats what s/he gets paid for'.

And usually people from the western countries tip, as its part of their custom, culture and.. the result is biased treatment from cabbies.

Well now we know it's not racism... It's a commercial decision on their behalf.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 13, 2008
craigindubai wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:
craigindubai wrote:

Who said it's racism ? eh?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008
I for one dont give tips to cabbies ;why should I besides I came here to worked my butts off and not to sun- bath.....Each to his own :!:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 13, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
craigindubai wrote:
St.Lucifer wrote:
craigindubai wrote:

Who said it's racism ? eh?

Oh that's right, most taxi drivers are Indian so racism is out of the question....
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 13, 2008
Oh! you've seen a lot of world. Is being a cabbie so demeaning?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 13, 2008
I'll ask my father.... But I don't think so.

Is tipping them such a heinous crime? Or are they not worthy of your tip?
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 13, 2008
craigindubai wrote:I'll ask my father.... But I don't think so.

Is tipping them such a heinous crime? Or are they not worthy of your tip?

Take it how u like it mate. :)
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Feb 14, 2008
I don't see "tip" as normal in western world either. Just saw it in England. Maybe people who are rich or can afford can do it. That doesn't mean every d*mn white person can afford it. I am from Sweden and I live under very poor condition here, so I can't afford give the driver any tip. Therefor I get very pissed off when they try to take hard ways or slow it down to get more money from me. Stupid is just the first name of it.

But now I understand the whole thing better. Thanks all for replying!
Burken
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 18, 2008
Dubai Transport is a state of the art, World Class Taxi Service, with well trained and friendly drivers always willing to pick up and deliver any passenger to any destination within Dubai.

I have seen lots of people take Taxis and I hear they do a great job.
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 18, 2008
And welcome to DF to our new friend from the RTA......
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 18, 2008
craigindubai wrote:And welcome to DF to our new friend from the RTA......

You find me a city in the world as large as Dubai or larger that handles the pressure and delivers the job the RTA does?
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 18, 2008
Sheikhmo wrote:
craigindubai wrote:And welcome to DF to our new friend from the RTA......

You find me a city in the world as large as Dubai or larger that handles the pressure and delivers the job the RTA does?

Name any westernised city... At least their phones get answered on Thursday night!
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 18, 2008
Sheikhmo wrote:I have seen lots of people take Taxis and I hear they do a great job.

Yeah, Ive seen a lot of people like you in here with much blabber and all. :lol: :lol: :lol:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat