Summers In Dubai - Your Experiences

Topic locked
Summers in Dubai - Your experiences Feb 03, 2006
Since I've been here only for over 1/2 month and never experienced the summer in the Middle East, I am wondering what your experiences are...

I have some friends who are living here, telling me its practicly impossible to walk outside during day and night, coz its so humid and you can hardly breathe...

Some are telling me u only stay inside during the hottest time of the day, and you can perfectly walk/sport during the evening...

So, please share with me your experiences during the summer in Dubai 8)

Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 03, 2006
I was there for a week at the end of last August and it was extremely hot, humid and uncomfortable. That did not stop me playing golf, going jet-skiing and goign to the pub almost every night.
Dutchtoon
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Summers in Dubai - Your experiences Feb 03, 2006
Defo wrote:Since I've been here only for over 1/2 month and never experienced the summer in the Middle East, I am wondering what your experiences are...

I have some friends who are living here, telling me its practicly impossible to walk outside during day and night, coz its so humid and you can hardly breathe...

Some are telling me u only stay inside during the hottest time of the day, and you can perfectly walk/sport during the evening...

So, please share with me your experiences during the summer in Dubai 8)

You can walk outside in August, humidity is 99%-100%. Tempreatures are in the 45+C (102+F).

I go outside, play some basketball, soccer, and work on my car. Do i sweat? yes, do i get tired? yes, but do i feel like fainting? nope....

Maybe that's just me, i have been here for 20+ years, literally born here (in Ras Al Khaima).

Take it easy, just make sure you have a bottle of water just incase you feel dizzy.
hosrom_951
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 03, 2006
Defo, its BURNING HOT! Imagine 45 deg+ temp with toppings of humidity :wink:
In my school days, we use to play basketball outdoor during the peak. Because we were so in the game, we did not mind the heat. So yeh, you may take care of the skin, you hair and drink loads of water in such times.
However, because you might not be use to such extreme temp. ..avoid activities during the day time.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 03, 2006
Thanks so far for the replies :)

I am happy I've arrived in the 'winter', so I could get used to high temperatures. Although I have never experienced higher temperatures than 35 C... Ah well, its gonna be okay I guess, just a matter of adapting 8)
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 03, 2006
The schools here break up for the summer hols at the end of June... So I spend 10 weeks in the uk, cant stand the heat.
Mikkie
Dubai Forum User

Feb 03, 2006
Summer = sweat, sweat and more sweat.

Be prepared and head for the nearest a/c. hahahahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 03, 2006
It's foul!! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 03, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Summer = sweat, sweat and more sweat.

Be prepared and head for the nearest a/c. hahahahahahaha

So, in one word, summer in Dubai means sweat? :P

Aren't there any cool winds during the summer? I mean, I noticed its always quite windy here...
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 04, 2006
Cool winds? Man the wind is soooo warm, it's horrid! There's a very good reason why many people disappear for 8 weeks during the summer.

Oh the thing I really hate, although it's hot outside, resturaunts seem to have this annoying habit of blasting the AC, so you need a jumper just to sit inside! It's a choice of two evils, be too hot or freeze. :cry:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 04, 2006
Summers :shock:

dont even remind me of them, i landed here during the peak heat on a job hunt, i guess that was the biggest mistake. the day i landed and walked outa the airport at 2 am in the morning it felt like 40 degrees and HUMID. It was like "welcome to dubai, take a sweat shower please1".

Making it to the interviews without you shirt sticking to your body was nearly next to impossible. During the daytimes the winds remind you of a furnace room. you cant breath easy its so damn hot. I always used to carry a bottle of water around anywhere i used to head. used to sneak into buildings to chill if i had to walk some distance.

but yes summers here means heat + humidity+ litres of sweat.:)

Cheers,

Jerry
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 04, 2006
Okay thanks :)

Bring on the summer!!! *boxing smiley*
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 04, 2006
Which brings up another point- won't Ramadan be smack bang in the worst of it this year?? No drinking in public remember and those poor labourers! :shock:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 04, 2006
am also yet to experience the summer here as i came just at the end of the summer and beginning of spring (?!) last year ... and people keep on warning a lot, let's see how we r going to cope up with that

but so far, the weather here is so different - first time i saw a sand storm live, and i never thought winters will be this cool in a desert esp. last week in the early morning thre was so much mist and it looked so beautiful as if the sky has descended down to earth

and am very much looking forward to see the actual desert thru desert safari!!!
Mayflower
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Summers in Dubai - Your experiences Feb 04, 2006
i spent may ,june and july in Dubai last year and it was really great exprience to enjoy the sun under 45 C. I believe if someone spend couple of summer in Dubai , he or she doesnt need to bother about the heat of Hell :P

everyday my eyes used to find " clouds" on sky :cry: In europe ,everyday u try to locate sun ......where is damn sun.......

But i think its nice and lovely ..............oh oh i forgot that water is damn warm ,it is hard to take bath until and unless you dont have some equipment to make the water cold :)............

I dont mind blazing sun but i do mind warm breeze ,seems as someone is slaping on your face :oops:
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

HP wrote:i spent may ,june and july in Dubai last year and it was really great exprience to enjoy the sun under 45 C. I believe if someone spend couple of summer in Dubai , he or she doesnt need to bother about the heat of Hell :P

everyday my eyes used to find " clouds" on sky :cry: In europe ,everyday u try to locate sun ......where is damn sun.......

But i think its nice and lovely ..............oh oh i forgot that water is damn warm ,it is hard to take bath until and unless you dont have some equipment to make the water cold :)............

I dont mind blazing sun but i do mind warm breeze ,seems as someone is slaping on your face :oops:

hehehe & u know wht HP, hum tissues use nahi karte, isliye garam pani is "pain in the A**~!! :wink:
easternjewel

Feb 04, 2006
For all except a very lucky few, summer is nearly physically unbearable in Dubai in terms of outdoors physical exertion.

However the last couple of years have seen the UAE enjoy much more temperate summers (though still rocketingly hot and humid).

You really have to dress for the heat. Loose, pale linens and cottons (this goes for men and women) and try to wear sandals - comfortable ones, like Teva or Timberland. The difference it makes having comfortable, drier feet is amazing.

Another thing to remember is that no matter how hot you feel, your body inside is pretty much the same temperature. If your body temperate goes up by more than a couple of degrees, you have a fever, and you are sick. Your skin takes the heat, so think of clothes as being a kind of armour (though they only absorb so much).

Bearing this in mind, if you can relax in the heat and keep reminding yourself: "my skin is hot, but I am not hot inside" it can help a lot. As soon as you panic and start to feel roasted is when it becomes unbearable.

A lot of people say to wear a hat in the hot sun. This may work for you, for me it is bollox. Eg people say of European types: "you are so fair, you must cover!" My experience is that fairer hair colours reflect heat quite efficiently, at least in my case. Skin, however, can and will burn, so do be careful.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 04, 2006
secretdubai wrote:Your skin takes the heat, so think of clothes as being a kind of armour (though they only absorb so much).

So, u mean u gotta wear thin long sleeve shirts? (as armourizing it against the heat)

And yeah, I agree it must be a physical thing. As long u dont think too much about it, u might survive :P
Defo
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 04, 2006
Yes - a layer of cotton can really help, especially with a really burning sun. When humidity is the major discomfort issue, I find bare arms better, but that's not such an easy choice for men.

If you have been in really icy air conditioning for a while, when you step outside, you can actually feel your cool clothes (or even skin) "taking the heat" for a few seconds. Of course it doesn't last long, but you do perceive the armour effect.

For those going bare armed, and men who feel the cold, do take a jacket (pashmina for ladies perfect) in summer. Because the air conditioning gets really, really cold - you will freeze inside. It also helps if you need to "cover up" from disapproving glares.

One summer I worked somewhere with such a shitty thermostat that I ended up buying and wearing a fleeced hooded top with the hood covering my head, despite it being 45c+ outside.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

hehehe & u know wht HP, hum tissues use nahi karte, isliye garam pani is "pain in the A**~!!

sharam kar oye kuryia . I dont use tissue either ;). But its really bad sometime time water sucks and especially in morning you are unable to take bath.

My aunti used to pissed off at my sexy summer dresses ,she used to wishper ,this is not europe ,when u sit in family ,wear propoer dress :oops: u know all desi auntis :(.
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

HP wrote:
hehehe & u know wht HP, hum tissues use nahi karte, isliye garam pani is "pain in the A**~!!

sharam kar oye kuryia . I dont use tissue either ;). But its really bad sometime time water sucks and especially in morning you are unable to take bath.

My aunti used to pissed off at my fun summer dresses ,she used to wishper ,this is not europe ,when u sit in family ,wear propoer dress :oops: u know all desi auntis :(.

Ya I know.. I meant we asians and stuff.. Imagine surviving on tissues... EEEEEEEEEKHIEEE ! :pukeright:
easternjewel

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat