Spouse & Husband Different Nationality Issue..?

Topic locked
Spouse & Husband different nationality issue..? May 10, 2011
Today I thought I was finally going to process my wife's application. We got married in Hawaii. She is from Slovakia and I'm from Canada. I had the marriage certificate attested at the UAE embassy in Washington DC. I also got the required stamp from foreign affairs today here in Dubai.

However, now the problem is we aren't the same nationality. I do also have a Slovak passport, however they said that didn't help since my visa is in my Canadian passport.

They said I need to go to the canadian embassy and get some kind of document approving this arrangement. Anyone gone through something like this before? I don't know why they find this odd.

I've known her for two years before we got married. I hope the Canadian embassy isn't going to give me trouble and claim she should be a canadian citizen to allow this.

This has to be a common thing when people come from Europe. There is no reason for your better half to become the same citizen as you are. So i'm sure someone else out there ran into this issue.

-- May 10th, 2011, 2:45 am --

To add to this.. I am processing this through Tecom in Dubai Internet City, since this is where I work.

Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Spouse & Husband different nationality issue..? May 10, 2011
How can I put this delicately, due to a large amount of ladies from certain Europeans being 'ladies of the night' here. They probably want to make sure that your marriage is a genuine arrangement and you're not her pimp, bringing her in for work.

It's a sad reality in this place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Spouse & Husband Different Nationality Issue..? May 10, 2011
My papers from USA are genuine and they have all been attested... I know what your implying and I was thinking this is an issue..

However someone else from europe must have had this problem here?
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Chocoholic wrote:How can I put this delicately, due to a large amount of ladies from certain Europeans being 'ladies of the night' here. They probably want to make sure that your marriage is a genuine arrangement and you're not her pimp, bringing her in for work.

Is it only your assumption or personal experience? I have never heard about that weird way as it's clear that the husband works in the respectable company.

I guess the reason is completely different. Some countries, Russia for instance, don't recognize marriage between own citizen and a foreigner if the procedure takes place in the third country (neighter husband's nor wife's state). That's why they require the confirmation from Canadian Embasy to make sure that your country recognizes the marriage.

If you married in the UAE you would not have any problem. :wink: I know one couple, who did that recently.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Yes RC you're right if people are married here it's not a problem as it becomes recognised. But sometimes I guess there might be some suspicion at certain things. Just sayin' as it's been a problem in the past.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Spouse & Husband Different Nationality Issue..? May 11, 2011
Ok, I guess the Canadian's won't have much of an issue with us getting married in the USA. Maybe if it was some weird off place they didn't know existed.
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

I'm also a Canadian married to a national from another country and we had no issues at all.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Spouse & Husband different nationality issue..? May 11, 2011
Chocoholic wrote:How can I put this delicately, due to a large amount of ladies from certain Europeans being 'ladies of the night' here. They probably want to make sure that your marriage is a genuine arrangement and you're not her pimp, bringing her in for work.

You absolutely right Choc, the issue is about young women from Eastern Europe or Asia. The US or the Canadian will never interfere with a mariage, deny it, or raise issues. If the mariage was a fraud, they (US or Canada) would catch it later, and they always do.
In the UAE it is the other way around they assume it bad first.
So just do as they say and follow the procedure.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Heading to embassy now.. :)
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Red Chief wrote:

Is it only your assumption or personal experience? I have never heard about that weird way as it's clear that the husband works in the respectable company.

I guess the reason is completely different. Some countries, Russia for instance, don't recognize marriage between own citizen and a foreigner if the procedure takes place in the third country (neighter husband's nor wife's state). That's why they require the confirmation from Canadian Embasy to make sure that your country recognizes the marriage.

If you married in the UAE you would not have any problem. :wink: I know one couple, who did that recently.

Please explain word in brackets Red Chuff. "neighter" is this related to Nyatt (no) in Ruski?
spellcheckergirl
Dubai Forums Frequenter

I cannot understand what you are writing about. IMO there is no such a word in Russian language. Probably I need the SPG for Russian too.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Well they finally accepted it.. I have it under urgent processing so they said by tomorrow I will know something and then they threw around a 3 day time frame.. No idea what that means..
Telegix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat