Social Life In Dubai

Topic locked
Social Life in Dubai Jul 11, 2009
Is it only me or do u ppl feel that social life in Dubai isn't that interesting as in other cities?
It's not easy to make friends here, family visits are out of question, walking the mall and clubbing are the only activities where you get to see ppl. Where's the morning coffee with friends ( not office-mates), greeting the whole neighborhood on the way to work??
It's kind of being socially dormant.

Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Social Life in Dubai Jul 11, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Is it only me or do u ppl feel that social life in Dubai isn't that interesting as in other cities?
It's not easy to make friends here, family visits are out of question, walking the mall and clubbing are the only activities where you get to see ppl. Where's the morning coffee with friends ( not office-mates), greeting the whole neighborhood on the way to work??

i would have agreed with you but you have to make an effort to make some friends. just sitting online doesnt mean you will make some friends automatically. in fact i have made some enemies on this forum :( so wouldnt suggest u sit online :D

anyways just a group, a sport club or an activity.

group of radio control ppl or ppl who are involved in robotics, or arts, or ppl who like bikes, or go karts etc.

there are sports clubs like football and cricket and even rounders leagues going on.

look up on the face book, just type in Dubai Go karting for example.

or just get married with a nice girl :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

rudeboy wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:Is it only me or do u ppl feel that social life in Dubai isn't that interesting as in other cities?

i would have agreed with you but you have to make an effort to make some friends. just sitting online doesnt mean you will make some friends automatically. in fact i have made some enemies on this forum :( so wouldnt suggest u sit online :D

group of radio control ppl or ppl who are involved in robotics, or arts, or ppl who like bikes, or go karts etc.

there are sports clubs like football and cricket and even rounders leagues going on.

I concur! CH CHING!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

rudeboy wrote:

You see this is what's im talking about, in here you even have to plan how to make friends where in other places it comes automatically.

and trust me when you get married, you need more friends to escape the nagging at home.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Metaphor79 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

You see this is what's im talking about, in here you even have to plan how to make friends where in other places it comes automatically.

and trust me when you get married, you need more friends to escape the nagging at home.

join a uni or a school if you want to make friends automatically :D our own english high school is a good school :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

U r right..like comparing 2 wat was b4 its going badly now. but thngs changed even ppl's spirit, now everyone is busy and busy. u know wat my family everytime they speak about this topic:)

they compare how ppl were plus the visits and to where its heading now.

ofcourse still u can find good friends but its totally not easy like in other countries.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 11, 2009
i have a question: y f u have friends here y it should b only chating in the forum?? did anyone here meet eachother???
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jul 11, 2009
silent wrote:i have a question: y f u have friends here y it should b only chating in the forum?? did anyone here meet eachother???

Friends are friends. The forum is a place to exchange views and learn about ppl in general, how they think, what they think on different issues and so on.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 12, 2009
silent wrote:i have a question: y f u have friends here y it should b only chating in the forum?? did anyone here meet eachother???

One of the problems is that this forum is totally open, and this being the case, there are all kinds of characters on it.
No one could really know if someone was actually telling the truth about their race, gender, and nationality. DF also gets a lot of scammers, many of whom utilize the usual Nigerian 419 scam shpiel. So it'd be hard to tell if someone was being genuinely friendly towards you, or if they were trying to establish a rapport strong enough for you to start sending money for some empty promise.

When it comes to personal safety and security, i'd only use this forum to discuss and argue, never to actually MEET anyone. It's just common sense that people should guard what personal information they give out online, ESPECIALLY on this forum. :roll:
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 12, 2009
Isn't there a monthly meet of DF'ers somewhere? I thought I read it in a thread.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Isn't there a monthly meet of DF'ers somewhere? I thought I read it in a thread.

I heard and read about several of them DF meets in the past years. 2006/2007.
But if one is social enough and open for a bit of risk and pleasure...well enough contacts to be made. As long as you know what you stand for...no harm done.

DF is just for fun. And a bit of distant mingling, perhaps even a bit of provocation :wink:

You know...restrictive society. A man/woman gotta speak his mind or he goes nuts :idea:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 12, 2009
Well I doubt that you or I will ever go nuts then.... :D

Provocation on DF?? Where?? When ?? How did that happen?? :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2009
Speedhump wrote:Isn't there a monthly meet of DF'ers somewhere? I thought I read it in a thread.

there used to be meets when some of us were more active... :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2009
oh - and i dont find it really that hard to meet people, its just i usually not end up being friends with them for various reasons :roll:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2009
The girls are jealous and the guys hit on you? ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 12, 2009
Speedhump wrote:The girls are jealous and the guys hit on you? ;)

That was funny.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 13, 2009
its not that bad, i believe it depends on where you hang out and your personality. :)
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 14, 2009
Speedhump wrote:The girls are jealous and the guys hit on you? ;)

hehehe -- in my dreams :oops:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
....or is it maybe the other way round...?!! :notworthy:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
If everybody hits on everybody, life will be much easier.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 14, 2009
I'm usually quite progressive, but really not comfortable with that!!! :D :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I'm usually quite progressive, but really not comfortable with that!!! :D :D

Think postive, man!
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 14, 2009
It's too radical....brain overload.....!! :cherry:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
I wonder why women don't like it when a man walks to them and say, I just saw you and I really like you and would like to get to know you!

What's the reason behind the rejection, fear, arrogance or what??
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 14, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:I wonder why women don't like it when a man walks to them and say, I just saw you and I really like you and would like to get to know you!

In my opinion a lot of women would find that too direct. Consider that they might like some idle chat and laughs before feeling 'this is an interview for a relationship'!

Open up easy and happy and don't get so in her face about liking her straight away. If she wants to take it further she'll let you know... :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:I wonder why women don't like it when a man walks to them and say, I just saw you and I really like you and would like to get to know you!

In my opinion a lot of women would find that too direct. Consider that they might like some idle chat and laughs before feeling 'this is an interview for a relationship'!

Open up easy and happy and don't get so in her face about liking her straight away. If she wants to take it further she'll let you know... :)

I don't understand why ppl like the detours and diversions. Get straight to the point. It worked with me a couple of times with risk-taking girls. but most women dont have the guts and would run away.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 14, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

I don't understand why ppl like the detours and diversions. Get straight to the point. It worked with me a couple of times with risk-taking girls. but most women dont have the guts and would run away.

maybe your...not their type :roll:
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
bushra21 wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

Define type. ppl try to show that they have a style and they end up choice that's too far from their alleged type.

For me, every woman is beautiful in a way unique to her. Even a b@#ch has something exclusively attractive.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 14, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
bushra21 wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

Define type. ppl try to show that they have a style and they end up choice that's too far from their alleged type.

For me, every woman is beautiful in a way unique to her. Even a b@#ch has something exclusively attractive.

ok for you - but for the woman? maybe you arent HER type
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 14, 2009
In that case,she's gonna miss a lot of fun.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat