In Sharjah...

Topic locked
in sharjah... Mar 24, 2009
Hi
Is it legal to stay in an apartment under some one else's contract (not sharing) in sharjah?

Thanks

trafficlinq
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 24, 2009
It is not illegal.

2 points to note.

The legal contract holder is still liable for any violation of law within the premises

The real estate may interpret this as sub letting
DPS
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 25, 2009
ppl are doing it in shj and they get away with it. it just depends on how good your neighbour is :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 25, 2009
Actualy the real estate wants to raise the rent. But according to the contract, they can't(as they raised last year and cant raise for another 3 year period). So they r telling to "my landlord"(who holds the contract) to approach the muncipality if he wants to renew at the same amount. My concern is whether the real estate wil create any problem as they knew now that a different person is staying ?
trafficlinq
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 25, 2009
trafficlinq wrote:Actualy the real estate wants to raise the rent. But according to the contract, they can't(as they raised last year and cant raise for another 3 year period). So they r telling to "my landlord"(who holds the contract) to approach the muncipality if he wants to renew at the same amount. My concern is whether the real estate wil create any problem as they knew now that a different person is staying ?

If your not actually the named person on the lease, I believe that you do not have too many rights under the law.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 25, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
trafficlinq wrote:Actualy the real estate wants to raise the rent. But according to the contract, they can't(as they raised last year and cant raise for another 3 year period). So they r telling to "my landlord"(who holds the contract) to approach the muncipality if he wants to renew at the same amount. My concern is whether the real estate wil create any problem as they knew now that a different person is staying ?

If your not actually the named person on the lease, I believe that you do not have too many rights under the law.

Correct, and hasn't rents actually come DOWN in the past few months? The agency seems to be playing a game to trick gullible tenants.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 28, 2009
Rents are NOT coming down in sharjah.

As far as I can see, people who cannot afford Dubai run to Sharjah. No shortage of people looking to rent..
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 28, 2009
dresden wrote:Rents are NOT coming down in sharjah.

As far as I can see, people who cannot afford Dubai run to Sharjah. No shortage of people looking to rent..

Dubai should charge a tax against everyone who lives and spends their Dubai earned money in Sharjah.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 28, 2009

and its even worse in Ajman...

they just raised on us 20%

plus a friend of mine in Sharjah got a similar rent increase!!!
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 28, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

Dubai should charge a tax against everyone who lives and spends their Dubai earned money in Sharjah.

not everyone can afford to live in Dubai Sage!!!!

or until companies provide proper accomodation or a better accomodation allowance...

60% of the staff in the place I work for get average 2500/m accommodation!!! this will hardly get you a shared bedroom in Dubai while you can get a studio or 1 bed apartment in Ajman or Sharjah
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 28, 2009
Well you are effectively beig sublet to. This, unless the contract holder has written permission from the landlord or owner is illegal and is stated as so in most contracts.

Therefore you will have zero rights.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 28, 2009
quatroporte wrote:

and its even worse in Ajman...

they just raised on us 20%

plus a friend of mine in Sharjah got a similar rent increase!!!

i dont know from where u guys get the info ..but a friend of mine just got 1 bed room in al TAAWN in a new bulding for 40k ..this is a good deal ..the thing is the real estate owners want to show that the demands on real estate still high but in fact most of the bulding in sharjah are empty..if he asked for increase tell him you dont want and u are moving show him that u dont care and beleive me he will come back to you ..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 28, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well you are effectively beig sublet to. This, unless the contract holder has written permission from the landlord or owner is illegal and is stated as so in most contracts.

Therefore you will have zero rights.

100% correct ..for example if the real owner want u out the apartment he will have no problem doing that ..i advise u not to do it especialy these days ..tell u this story we found a guy who despertly want to rent his apartment and he want three months in advance ..they gave him the money ..next week the real estate owner come and told the new rental that he must leave the aparment because the contact expired..they tried to contact the guy who rented the aparment and took the money but he was gone..so u see what happend here u may lose ur money and the aparment ..so be carefull
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 28, 2009
I must agree. The rent in Sharjah has been dropping for last 4 months as well. My asquaintance rented very big 2BR with parking in Al Khan at 55K just now.

At the other hand the rent in IC has been dropping as well especially if you pay by one cheque... My employee told me about 36K (in one cheque) for studio there.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 30, 2009
Mixed responses.

A couple of my friends have reported an increase in rent this year. A few have mentioned its the same.

None have had their rents lowered.

take it for what it's worth.
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 30, 2009
dresden wrote:Mixed responses.

A couple of my friends have reported an increase in rent this year. A few have mentioned its the same.

No self-respecting landlord is actually going to LOWER the rents of existing tenants out of the goodness of their heart! The landlord played chicken with your buddies, and your buddies lost. If they threatened to leave, they probably would've avoided the increase.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 30, 2009
Pankaj wrote:

No self-respecting landlord is actually going to LOWER the rents of existing tenants out of the goodness of their heart! The landlord played chicken with your buddies, and your buddies lost. If they threatened to leave, they probably would've avoided the increase.

correct
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 30, 2009
naruto wrote:
Pankaj wrote:

correct

Indeed, some are simply to lazy or scared to move out and find another place. The hassle is too much for them chickens.

A good negotiator can save himself a lot these days.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 30, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Indeed, some are simply to lazy or scared to move out and find another place. The hassle is too much for them chickens.

Well said, Rob. Your replies are always based on solid knowledge and long expirience independ on content of a topic.
Realy helpful indeed, especially about Sharjah I must say.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 30, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Indeed, some are simply to lazy or scared to move out and find another place. The hassle is too much for them chickens.

Well said, Rob. Your replies are always based on solid knowledge and long expirience independ on content of a topic.

Thanks Chief, I appreciate that. :wink:

Thats a sound other than the usual 'he's just an outsider' comments. :lol:
RobbyG

Mar 31, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Red Chief wrote:

Thanks Chief, I appreciate that. :wink:

Thats a sound other than the usual 'he's just an outsider' comments. :lol:

He could be sarcastic. :lol:
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 31, 2009
If he was, the second line is my outcry ;) (i'm covered)
RobbyG

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat