Alcohol And Sharjah

Topic locked
alcohol and sharjah Mar 02, 2008
Found out today two things from someone who really knows what they're talking about:

(1) nobody in 2 years has been arrested transporting liquor from another emirate through Sharjah.

(2) Sharjah airport has no limit on duty free for incoming international passengers.

Very interesting news.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 02, 2008
Yeah I always wondered about that! It's illegal to have booze in Sharjah, yet they have a massive Duty Free at the airport - better than Dubai actually.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: alcohol and sharjah Mar 02, 2008
edited by Mod because of unacceptable language

(not Sage)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah I always wondered about that! It's illegal to have booze in Sharjah, yet they have a massive Duty Free at the airport - better than Dubai actually.

Chocs, for your information it is not illegal to have booze in Sharjah, Sharjah Police Department issues Liquor License to applicants that are entitled, they can then purchase from a legal liquor store in Dubai such as A & E and transport to their place of residence.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 02, 2008
sage & onion wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah I always wondered about that! It's illegal to have booze in Sharjah, yet they have a massive Duty Free at the airport - better than Dubai actually.

Chocs, for your information it is not illegal to have booze in Sharjah, Sharjah Police Department issues Liquor License to applicants that are entitled, they can then purchase from a legal liquor store in Dubai such as A & E and transport to their place of residence.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2008
what is booze meant to be illegal here? i buy slabs every week??
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2008
I know more people who just came back from visa run. They often buy alcohol from the duty free in sharjah airport, and they live in sharjah as well.

I had a share of vodka once. :oops: But I don't know why we are not in jail.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2008
In general Sharjah is becoming more relaxed than it was a few years ago. Mainly because the Saudi influence is dwindling and they are watching Dubai go through the roof whilst they languish away stuck in the 19th century.

The grass is most definetly greener on the other side of the fence.
craigindubai
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2008
craigindubai wrote:In general Sharjah is becoming more relaxed than it was a few years ago. Mainly because the Saudi influence is dwindling and they are watching Dubai go through the roof whilst they languish away stuck in the 19th century.

The grass is most definetly greener on the other side of the fence.

Sage was born in the 19th Century.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: alcohol and sharjah Mar 03, 2008
Concord wrote:edited by Mod because of unacceptable language

(not Sage)

and who the *** are you to decide what's "acceptable" :roll:

please don't lecture me about you being a Net Nanny (moderator). I mean who the *** are you as a moderator, a ****, a tweet, etc. to decide what's acceptable?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 03, 2008
I do not drink myself (haram!) but I do have friends that live in Sharjah and drink. They buy from Ajman Kempinski and freely take back to Sharjah.

They have never had trouble with police.
Sheikhmo
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat