Satanic Verses

Topic locked
Satanic Verses Sep 29, 2005
hi,
i was trying to buy "Satanic verses" from Amazon.com. Just wanted to confirm if its fine if i have that book with me in Dubai. As the book is banned in most of the countries. i dont think neone will get to know when they ship me the book through courier...but still wanted to confirm if its fine to keep that book

cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

Sep 30, 2005
you wont find out till you try. Go for it

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Sep 30, 2005
I own the book, and i am not in jail

.. not yet
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 30, 2005
I wouldn't bother taking the risk. Quite apart from the fact that the book is apparently as dull as hell. If you're that desperate to read it, buy it abroad (or get a friend to) and glue it into a different cover.

I personally have Amazon stuff shipped through Aramex's "shop and ship" - and from what I can work out, none of my packages have been tampered with, not that they contain anything banworthy.

There are two advantages to this:

1. It's far more reliable to use a courier than post, and possibly less interfered with

2. Via the Aramex "shop and ship" locker, you get a UK (and US) postal address - which means you can buy Amazon's non-shippable-overseas items

Shop and Ship is something like a one-off set up fee of US$30 (both UK and US addresses included) then there are no other charges - annual or monthly - except the courier charges if and when a package arrives in your locker and they ship it to you in the UAE. Aramex's charges seem fairly reasonable for air freight. Also if you spend the minimum amount with Amazon, they ship to the locker for free anyway, so you only pay the Aramex fee and no extra charge to Amazon.
secretdubai
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 01, 2005
secretdubai wrote: Quite apart from the fact that the book is apparently as dull as hell.

Yes midnights children is a much better read for Rushdie
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 02, 2005
thx alot secret....guess i will do that....by the way i dont know how the book will turn out to be...but its just the curiousity that i have for the book...and yep Maad midnights children is indeed a nice read...he was awarded the booker of the bookers award for this work.
cadmus
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat