Rice A Staple In Your Diet?

Topic locked
Rice a staple in your diet? Apr 01, 2008
I just read, or heard that rice is a staple in 1/2 the world's population.

Is it in your's?

I eat rice about once a month.

I'm I missing anything.

p.s. I hear, read about it becasue apparently there is a huge increase in the price of rice. Exporters like Vietnam and Thailand have increased their price by a lot over the last couple of months...

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 01, 2008
I eat rice everyday. well almost everyday.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 01, 2008
im not a big fan of rice personally, prefer bread..

but id eat rice at least twice a week.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 01, 2008
Vietnam is like a total country built by Irrigation by farmers thats what I heard!! Well as the Bangladeshi staple diet would be Rich and Fish and vegetables obviously!! Its like they say they are so used to it that if they dont have rice its like they havent eaten something. Me I just like rice cakes as in Sushi!! and a bit of Jd and coke to go. hehehehehe But other than that I dont like much of rice. I like eating salads!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2008
rice is good once a week or so
not everyday , it will give you a belly and a host of other mediacal conditions

generally you should lmit your carbs to about 100-200 grams a day

anything above that you are asking for diabetes , heart disease and cancer.

load up on protiens and fats
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2008
1 billion chinese can't be wrong
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 01, 2008
^ian^ wrote:1 billion chinese can't be wrong

even thou they are eating rice , i dont think they can afford more than 200 carbs of it a day

have you seen how much some of these arabs here eat? 3 - 4 plaes of rice easyyyy per day
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 01, 2008

Hear hear!

I have had potatoes TWICE since arriving in Dubai. As a honkey white-bred canuck, I know it is funny but we eat rice 3-4 times a week. I just got the water-rice ratio right so please don't steal my thunder and tell me it will make me fatter!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
There's rice shortage is southeast asia. I eat rice everyday, can't survive without it.

Philippines used to be rice exporter, now we're importing percentage of rice supplies. Vietnam learned to plant rice from the Philippines and now we are importing rice from them. Shohada... :(
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008

Add another billion from us Indians. People in India, especially down south have to have rice everyday.. If you visit any Indian restaurants in here, ask for "Motta Rice" (Its actually Matta Rice or Rose Matta rice) thats a staple for us Malayalees (People from Kerala, a southern state). I avoid eating rice as a dietary restriction. But I'd still rate Kanji as my most favourite dish(a rice dish).
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
The best is when u go to villages and they give u the freshly grown veggies, with fish right from the sweet water pond and cook them in mud pots and since no gas they use paper or hay to make a fire and keep blowing and then cooking and then laslty serve it banana leaves. This all with rice. Man that is amazing!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:The best is when u go to villages and they give u the freshly grown veggies, with fish right from the sweet water pond and cook them in mud pots and since no gas they use paper or hay to make a fire and keep blowing and then cooking and then laslty serve it banana leaves. This all with rice. Man that is amazing!!

I 've tried one fresh water fish courtesy of our Bengali friends and it taste so delicious that I forgot all about the rice that goes with it...err...ellis the name of the fish...devil correct if im wrong here about the name.......
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:

Add another billion from us Indians. People in India, especially down south have to have rice everyday.. If you visit any Indian restaurants in here, ask for "Motta Rice" (Its actually Matta Rice or Rose Matta rice) thats a staple for us Malayalees (People from Kerala, a southern state). I avoid eating rice as a dietary restriction. But I'd still rate Kanji as my most favourite dish(a rice dish).

Isnt it that rice is more of a staple food of southern indians than the northern counterparts? Am I right Luci.....?

Add to the Chinese and Indians; the millions of people from Southeast Asia, Japan and the Korean peninsula. Wow lots of rice eaters.... :P
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Foods/dishes... Apr 02, 2008
Nevermind :oops:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Foods/dishes... Apr 02, 2008
Concord wrote:The rice thread game an idea: There are people in the forum from all over the world so I was thinking what dish would they recommend (not a resptaurant by a dish) in say:

India
Bangladesh
Phillipines
Australia
America
Canada
UAE
China
Thailand
Malaysia
Pakistan
Nepal

Concord wrote:p.s. Of course the UK is excluded ("bake beans" is not a dish; its vomit).

:cry: but then again I really cant help it but :lol: :lol: :lol:
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Foods/dishes... Apr 02, 2008
SCY wrote:There's rice shortage is southeast asia. I eat rice everyday, can't survive without it.

Philippines used to be rice exporter, now we're importing percentage of rice supplies. Vietnam learned to plant rice from the Philippines and now we are importing rice from them. Shohada... :(

Yeah what prompted me to post the thread was a story on CNN where they spoke about a rice import crisis (double or triple the price in the phillipines). Apparently a virus has affected the rice harvest in Vietnam.

The report indicated that Phillipinnes is the worlds biggest importer of rice (surprised me).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 02, 2008
Most filipinos have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It gives us no abnormal medical conditions afaik, and overweight peeps are not common.
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
reviewer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:The best is when u go to villages and they give u the freshly grown veggies, with fish right from the sweet water pond and cook them in mud pots and since no gas they use paper or hay to make a fire and keep blowing and then cooking and then laslty serve it banana leaves. This all with rice. Man that is amazing!!

I 've tried one fresh water fish courtesy of our Bengali friends and it taste so delicious that I forgot all about the rice that goes with it...err...ellis the name of the fish...devil correct if im wrong here about the name.......

hehehe!! yeah ur right its called Eelish in Bengali but in english its called Hilsa and also one of those fishes which has a lot of bones in it. Most people in our country love it for the taste but avoid it because it takes time. Hehehe. I still remember when I first tried it. Iwas like I think 13 or something and just to eat a piece of the fish took me 2 hrs. hehehe. The fish that come here arent or isnt that great what u get right at the villages. But yeah if u fancy it I can get some!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Best is what we call Panta Bhat. Panta doesnt have any meaning and Bhat is rice. Its like u actually take ur rice and boil in fresh water and keep it like it goes for 2 days and three days and hehe then when u have it. U get all woozy. My grandmother used to have it to go to sleep.

Now I suppose the same procedure applies in Japan for Sake which is rice whine. Sake Sake Sake!! Hajimemashta!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
oops.. wrong thread..
pinoy1
Dubai chat master

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:Best is what we call Panta Bhat. Panta doesnt have any meaning and Bhat is rice. Its like u actually take ur rice and boil in fresh water and keep it like it goes for 2 days and three days and hehe then when u have it. U get all woozy. My grandmother used to have it to go to sleep.

Now I suppose the same procedure applies in Japan for Sake which is rice whine. Sake Sake Sake!! Hajimemashta!!

We call it Pazankanji- Pazan is an abstract word for Pazhayathu to mean Old. Kanji is the dish made of rice boiled in water.Pazankanjhi is normally a day old. I've never had it.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:Best is what we call Panta Bhat. Panta doesnt have any meaning and Bhat is rice. Its like u actually take ur rice and boil in fresh water and keep it like it goes for 2 days and three days and hehe then when u have it. U get all woozy. My grandmother used to have it to go to sleep.

We call it Pazankanji- Pazan is an abstract word for Pazhayathu to mean Old. Kanji is the dish made of rice boiled in water.Pazankanjhi is normally a day old. I've never had it.

Yeah I knew Kanji and yeah I tried it once and its allright!! The way of the old had a lot of advantages in the worng ways. Who needs booze do this and instant wooziness though I still like Jd and coke!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
But.. I hate JD with coke..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
Then have what u like. Thats my preferance!! hehe
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:Then have what u like. Thats my preferance!! hehe

:)well any whiskey.. J&B mostly.. even JD but dont spoil the taste by pouring coke in it.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Apr 02, 2008
Unknown Devil wrote:
reviewer wrote:

hehehe!! yeah ur right its called Eelish in Bengali but in english its called Hilsa and also one of those fishes which has a lot of bones in it. Most people in our country love it for the taste but avoid it because it takes time. Hehehe. I still remember when I first tried it. Iwas like I think 13 or something and just to eat a piece of the fish took me 2 hrs. hehehe. The fish that come here arent or isnt that great what u get right at the villages. But yeah if u fancy it I can get some!!

Thx for the offer DD, only if you give the fish sans the bones,:lol: but for a first timer its tasty I can even remember the taste.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 02, 2008
St.Lucifer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:Then have what u like. Thats my preferance!! hehe

:)well any whiskey.. J&B mostly.. even JD but dont spoil the taste by pouring coke in it.

Ahh u like it on the rocks well i still cant get the buds to adjust of mine. Hey people have their preferences. U might like ur icecream without a cone and I like with so yeah. Fine, Fine I undestand. Get all the whiskey or beer u want. I will get my coke!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
reviewer wrote:
Unknown Devil wrote:
reviewer wrote:

Thx for the offer DD, only if you give the fish sans the bones,:lol: but for a first timer its tasty I can even remember the taste.

Nah no issues. who doesnt. There are a lot of other dishes my mom makes. Thing with my mom is like she loves to cook so if I invited someone she would take atleast three days to prepare not like some people call in the caterers or dont even time for their cooking. and if I enter the kitchen my two horns go down and I become an Unknown Angel. hehe cuz she can get maaaaaaad!!
Unknown Devil
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
dubaidog wrote:

Hear hear!

I have had potatoes TWICE since arriving in Dubai. As a honkey white-bred canuck, I know it is funny but we eat rice 3-4 times a week. I just got the water-rice ratio right so please don't steal my thunder and tell me it will make me fatter!

who cares about being fat man , as long as you can listen to some matt minglewood and drink alexander kieths and have a good time eh?
nismo
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 02, 2008
KEITH'S...gimme a pitcher and a straw!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat