Quick Question About Getting Money In Dubai

Topic locked
Quick question about getting money in Dubai Sep 02, 2006
What is the best way for me to withdraw funds from a UK lloydstsb bank account whilst here in Dubai does anyone know? Will I face pretty much the same bank charges if I withdraw from an atm over here as buying currency on my card? I have a visa debit card so I won't get an extra charge for getting a cash advance at an atm, but I think i face a 3% charge for using my card abroad?

Will the exchange rate be as good at an atm as in a bureau de change?

cheers

Stan
Dubai Forum User

Sep 02, 2006
the rate is better in DXB - however if you withdraw from ATM's it will be your bank in the UK that sets the rate, plus you will be hit with a cash handling fee.

To be honest if you are talking a few grand, you would be better taking the cash over, the rates in the malls are brilliant compared to UK echange rates.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Quick question about getting money in Dubai Sep 02, 2006
Stan wrote:What is the best way for me to withdraw funds from a UK lloydstsb bank account whilst here in Dubai does anyone know?

Locate ATM, stand in front of it, find card slot, insert card, press pin number, select or key in amount, wait a few seconds, collect cash :roll:

Can't help you on the other questions :oops:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 02, 2006
I am in Dubai now :P

Well I want to get about £500 just now. So I am best to go to a beauru and just buy the money on my card?
Stan
Dubai Forum User

Sep 02, 2006
Stan wrote:I am in Dubai now :P

Well I want to get about £500 just now. So I am best to go to a beauru and just buy the money on my card?

Dude have you ever been outside the UK :roll: or needed to get money :roll:

Com'on with L500, any differnce in exchange rate won't be enough for a cup of coffee. For a second I thought you were talking about real money i.e. L500K and up. :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 02, 2006
I'm Scottish! We're safe with our money OK! :lol:
Stan
Dubai Forum User

Sep 02, 2006
For the Brits out there holidaying abroad, you should join Nationwide (either their credit card or current account) as they don't charge for overseas transactions. Every other bank that I know of, does!

I'd say that you should maybe withdraw one big lump sum, to avoid any additional charges (eg my bank charges me a rubbish exchange rate, plus £2.50 handling fee per transaction!)
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat