Permanent Visas For Long-term Expats

Topic locked
Permanent visas for long-term expats Feb 19, 2010
Kanoo backs permanent visas for long-term expats

by Joanne Bladd on Monday, 15 February 2010

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/581571-k ... erm-expats

SUGGESTION: Mishal Kanoo has lent his support to calls for long-term expatriates in the UAE to be granted permanent residency visas.A prominent Emirati businessman has backed calls for expatriates with long-term ties to the UAE to be granted permanent residency.

Mishal Kanoo, deputy chairman of the Kanoo Group, one of the country’s largest family-run businesses, said skilled foreign workers with roots in the UAE should qualify for permanent residency.

“Someone who has been here for 30-odd years, in the country, they should naturally get residency. That is my opinion,” he told Arabian Business.

“I have no issues with residency. As long as people are coming in to add value, why not? I think anyone who is willing to come and invest in my country, why should I say no to the best and the brightest?”

Under current visa laws, expatriate workers in the UAE are sponsored by their employers. Should an employment contract be terminated, the visa will expire. UAE immigration laws prohibit unemployed expatriates from residing in the country.

Qualifying expatriates would need to pass a background check and, in a reflection of immigration policy in Europe, the US and Australia, prove their job could not be filled effectively by a UAE national, Kanoo suggested. A failure to speak Arabic, however, should not necessarily be a barrier.

“[The language]… not necessarily. You can pick it up. But I do expect there to be a background check on people, which is done in every other country, to confirm they are genuine. And if I can replace them with my own population, fine. But if I can’t replace them? Then these people are bringing benefits to the country.”

The issue of permanent residency is a hot topic in the energy-rich Gulf countries, which rely heavily on imported foreign labour to support their economies. Each of the six GCC states has flatly refused to consider extending citizenship to long-term migrant workers, partly for fear of overwhelming the minority local population.

Bahrain has said it may introduce a residency cap for unskilled expatriates later this year, which would restrict their stay in the Arab state.

Kanoo, however, dismissed fears that opening up permanent UAE residency to qualifying expatriates would engulf the local population, arguing that the percentage of qualifying workers would be small. Expatriates currently account for roughly 80 percent of the country’s population.

“Let me properly put this in perspective. If I removed the labourers, who are building the country, I’ve probably removed 20 to 30 percent of the population of the UAE,” he said.

“The question the policymakers should be looking at is whether they want to have a concentration of one population, or they want to have a spread. But that is an issue for policymakers.”

When asked whether the introduction of residency for certain expatriates is inevitable, Kanoo said: “I personally don’t see why not.”

The numerous comments regarding the article make interesting reading.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Permanent visas for long-term expats Feb 19, 2010
yes mate, i agree.

However for as much as the good stuff there is quite a bit of crap ie so labourers make up 20-30% of population - Really !!!!.

No mention of an investor visa like i had for 6 years ???
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Permanent visas for long-term expats Feb 19, 2010
arniegang wrote:yes mate, i agree.

However for as much as the good stuff there is quite a bit of crap ie so labourers make up 20-30% of population - Really !!!!.

No mention of an investor visa like i had for 6 years ???

I think what is being suggested is a little more than the Invester visa, but lets see. As for the Labourers, this is what they have always been afraid of and are still unable to resolve the issue.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Permanent visas for long-term expats Feb 20, 2010
Laborers dont make up more tha 12% of the population. Blue collar workers +shop assistanst etc.? Yes they may make up 30% or even more.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Permanent visas for long-term expats Feb 20, 2010
BlackburnRovers wrote:Laborers dont make up more tha 12% of the population. Blue collar workers +shop assistanst etc.? Yes they may make up 30% or even more.

I think you may find the % is higher than you think for Construction Workers.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat