Dubai Expats Give New Meaning To Long-stay Car Park

Topic locked
Dubai expats give new meaning to long-stay car park Jun 03, 2009
For many expatriate workers in Dubai it was the ultimate symbol of their tax-free wealth: a luxurious car that few could have afforded on the money they earned at home.

Now, faced with crippling debts as a result of their high living and Dubai’s fading fortunes, many expatriates are abandoning their cars at the airport and fleeing home rather than risk jail for defaulting on loans.

Police have found more than 3,000 cars outside Dubai’s international airport in recent months. Most of the cars – four-wheel drives, saloons and “a few” Mercedes – had keys left in the ignition.

Some had used-to-the-limit credit cards in the glove box. Others had notes of apology attached to the windscreen.

chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Jun 03, 2009
Yeah we've known this for months - cheers.

I'm now going to decide which car I want to drive today!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 03, 2009
ahh.. i wish to get one soon!...
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 04, 2009
can you actually drive one out of hte parking lot without getting caught?
I would love to try it since I go to dubai almost every 2nd month. but taking such a risk in Dubai is out of my trip plan not sure which body part I will lose :) just a joke
voicebootcamp
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Dubai expats give new meaning to long-stay car park Jun 04, 2009
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:For many expatriate workers in Dubai it was the ultimate symbol of their tax-free wealth: a luxurious car that few could have afforded on the money they earned at home.

Now, faced with crippling debts as a result of their high living and Dubai’s fading fortunes, many expatriates are abandoning their cars at the airport and fleeing home rather than risk jail for defaulting on loans.

Police have found more than 3,000 cars outside Dubai’s international airport in recent months. Most of the cars – four-wheel drives, saloons and “a few” Mercedes – had keys left in the ignition.

Some had used-to-the-limit credit cards in the glove box. Others had notes of apology attached to the windscreen.

This is old news, what is the point of dredging it up again?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Dubai expats give new meaning to long-stay car park Jun 04, 2009
[

This is old news, what is the point of dredging it up again?[/quote]
so what is wrong with dredging up some dirty old news?
Now some NEW

3.62 million expatriates in Dubai

864,000 nationals

8% population decline predicted this year, as expatriates leave

1,500 visas cancelled every day in Dubai

62% of homes occupied by expatriates 60% fall in property values predicted

50% slump in the price of luxury apartments on Palm Jumeirah

25% reduction in luxury spending among UAE expatriates

Sources: Times database

"So now the Brits are getting their "locals" back, good riddance to people who run at the slightest difficulty and default on their payments.
chevaliers-de-sion
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dubai expats give new meaning to long-stay car park Jun 05, 2009
chevaliers-de-sion wrote:[

This is old news, what is the point of dredging it up again?

so what is wrong with dredging up some dirty old news?
Now some NEW

3.62 million expatriates in Dubai

864,000 nationals

8% population decline predicted this year, as expatriates leave

1,500 visas cancelled every day in Dubai

62% of homes occupied by expatriates 60% fall in property values predicted

50% slump in the price of luxury apartments on Palm Jumeirah

25% reduction in luxury spending among UAE expatriates

Sources: Times database

"So now the Brits are getting their "locals" back, good riddance to people who run at the slightest difficulty and default on their payments.[/quote]

So are you saying that all the ex-pats are Brits?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 05, 2009
He/she I am sure has no figures or data. At a guess I would say that as there are a lot of British and Indians here so there are more of them to leave, it's pure weight of numbers. I reckon that percentagewise, just as many of most other nationalities are 'skipping' too, but the actual numbers will be smaller.

There has been no official data on which nationalities are leaving as far as I know. So anything that is said is pure speculation.

In other threads this guy is trying to prod UAE nationals with various comments. Must have been here and had a bad experience....? :evil:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

chevaliers-de-sion wrote:For many expatriate workers in Dubai it was the ultimate symbol of their tax-free wealth: a luxurious car that few could have afforded on the money they earned at home.

This is old news and the situation is global. A lot of hard working people have been affected by this crisis, please don't try to start a Dubai specific bashing post, boring!!! :roll:
Scotsman

Scotsman wrote:

This is old news and the situation is global. A lot of hard working people have been affected by this crisis, please don't try to start a Dubai specific bashing post, boring!!! :roll:

I'm afraid this poster is making a habit of it. Obviously has some axe to grind. :roll:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

And what's your exit strategy??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 05, 2009
He already ran.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 05, 2009
Speedhump wrote:He already ran.

What kind of car did he have? I'm looking for one. I've already picked out the make and model, just waiting for the right color to come on the market.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 05, 2009
definitely a skipper :roll:
Scotsman

Jun 07, 2009
Dubai has 4,5 million ppl living within their city limits? I highly doubt that.
macjul
Dubai Forums Member

Jun 08, 2009
macjul wrote:Dubai has 4,5 million ppl living within their city limits? I highly doubt that.

Yup, sounds a bit over the top
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 08, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

What kind of car did he have? I'm looking for one. I've already picked out the make and model, just waiting for the right color to come on the market.

Speedy things are definitely the champions of Dubai airport long stay parking. They are available in all color.

Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 08, 2009
Red Chief wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:

Speedy things are definitely the champions of Dubai airport long stay parking. They are available in all color.

Rather poor photoshopping by jealous potential buyer who was turned away for credit, I have no doubt!

I'm sure this isn't your own PS effort, I think they must still teach how to propogate 'Ministry of Information' style disinformation in Soviet schools better than this attempt? :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2009
Of course, it was not me, and you know about that. Tell the truth. It’s your car, which is parked in Colchester, Essex.

http://www.rpmgo.com/angry-range-rover- ... -at-dealer

I don’t think that runaway from debt is the only truth for Land Rover’s owners. I think Brits can’t start engine if it’s being stopped once. Speedy don’t take out the ignition key.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 08, 2009
Well I certainly would not try to start my car if you were standing near, one spark would send your cheap alcohol soaked clothes up in flames.

On second thought, I'll start writing the eulogy now.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2009
And they're at it again.

:happy1: :icescream: Someone pass the soda please??
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 08, 2009
Speedy, don’t take it too serious. It was only random photo I liked to share. Just light banter. I believe you that your Range is worth your money and your nerves.

On the other hand I was trying to help Bora to do right choice. :)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 08, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Speedy, don’t take it too serious. It was only random photo I liked to share. Just light banter. I believe you that your Range is worth your money and your nerves.

You didn't notice that mine was also a joke. I really do not want to see you go up in flames. I have had some electrical problems with my RR, random faults showing up on dashboard display when there are none, I believe it is because it was the First Edition, only 64 made in the first run.

Any new model has teething problems I guess.

I will buy another soon and then we will see....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
Red Chief wrote:Speedy, don’t take it too serious. It was only random photo I liked to share. Just light banter. I believe you that your Range is worth your money and your nerves.

You didn't notice that mine was also a joke. I really do not want to see you go up in flames. I have had some electrical problems with my RR, random faults showing up on dashboard display when there are none, I believe it is because it was the First Edition, only 64 made in the first run.

Any new model has teething problems I guess.

I will buy another soon and then we will see....

I sympathize you as a person. Honestly.

Do you have BMW engine or Ford one?

Anyway I don’t think that Ford or Tata are good in luxury segment.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 08, 2009
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 08, 2009

There you go again you slimeball, dragging me into your petty crap.

You helping me?? I don't think so. Shaddup.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jun 08, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:

There you go again you slimeball, dragging me into your petty crap.

You helping me?? I don't think so. Shaddup.

Bored Bora is rude and repetitive, as usual. Why am I not surprised? I don’t blame all American people but US penitentiary system obviously did their job unprofessionally. I cannot see any success in correction your behavior to the pattern of a decent member of this great country. They wasted money of American taxpayer.
Shame on them!
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jun 08, 2009
:happy1:

my turn to sit in Gold Class.... :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat