Pekiti-Tirsia Kali Hype In DUBAI, UAE!

Topic locked
Oct 31, 2007
Oskar wrote:Guys,

Thanks for yesterday. It was fun training in the park. My body is sore and hands are full with blisters... but it was ok cause I showed the blisters to all the girls at work and they felt sorry for me and wanted to take care of me so it is all good... :D

Ill try to work on my footwork a little bit every day and maybe see you guys on the weekend.

Hello Oskar,

We are very glad that you have finally joined us and we welcome you not just as a student but as a dear friend here in Dubai. After a few months of consistent training you will get to know what Filipino culture is all about.

We welcome you again to our humble house of wisdom.

DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 01, 2007
Hi guys,

I am new to Dubai and to martial arts as well, but I am keen to try it and see how it goes. Stupid question, but do you guys allow girls to join?
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 01, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:Hi guys,

I am new to Dubai and to martial arts as well, but I am keen to try it and see how it goes. Stupid question, but do you guys allow girls to join?

Hi there! There is an 18 year old age restriction though, so if you are talking about adult women, then yes we do allow it. Send me a PM so I could tell you about the training details.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 04, 2007
Why the age restriction?
Sadly I am over 18... :(
abarawakijess
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 04, 2007
abarawakijess wrote:Why the age restriction?
Sadly I am over 18... :(

What I meant was, we really do not recommend people who are under 18 years of age to join the group because of the nature of the art and training.:)

Please introduce yourself by telling me your full name, age, nationality, profession, martial arts background (if any).
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 05, 2007
Hello everybody

new to Dubai - looking for more martial arts info. Sounds like you guys know what is happening here.

Here is my story. I've been training for 10 years. Last 5-6 years I've been training in Traditional Wing Chun with Sifu Shannon Moore in Columbia Maryland Washington DC. The grandmaster of our system is William Cheung. (I only state this so people understand where I'm coming from not trying to boast or anything like that - simply stating it as a matter of fact) Other experience includes Northern Chinese Long fist and a brief but very interesting stint in Aikido.

I'm 34 and looking for Wing Chun or Escrima in Dubai (preferably Mirdif).
Where do you guys train? Any good organizations around?

My teacher had experience in Escrima - and always talked about conceptual similarities to it and wing chun. I'd be interested in finding out more from you guys if you guys are willing to share.

Hopefully we can all learn from each other.

Best Regards
Ypnos
ypnos1
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 05, 2007
Hi ypnos1,

We are a fairly new group in Dubai. We train in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, an indigenous Filipino Martial Art which is weapons based.

If you want to see for yourself or experience what we do, come and visit us tomorrow night 7:30PM - 9:30PM, Nov. 6 at Gate 1 Al Safa Park. There is a 3 AED entrance fee in the park. When you enter gate 1, just proceed to the right side (towards football field area). If you see a group training with sticks and knives a few meters away, that's us. Currently classes are held by appointment since the group is still fairly small.

You can send me a PM or email sica.famosus(at)yahoo.com for further inquiries and information. Hope to see you!

All the best,

DaWarrior
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

The Pekiti-Tirsia Empty Hands Nov 15, 2007
Pekiti-Tirsia empty hands is a direct translation of the weapon movements to non-weapon motion. Angles of attack are the same as hacking with a blade and slashes and thrusts of the knife. The weapon attribute of range from a long weapon maybe absent but is immediately compensated with close range trapping, joint manipulation and grappling to ground fighting. The base of the hand becomes the pommeling tool for impact, open hand slaps replace the angular slashes of the blade, the fingers and nails substitues for blade tip jabs and rakes, elbows and knees attacks the same target areas for blade entries which makes the opponent grimace in pain whenever the areas are penetrated, the arm and leg limbs becomes the key trapping components for grappling. So basically the whole body contributes as one arsenal to be the whole empty hand weapon.

The key element of the empty handed fighter which may not be found in other empty handed arts is the ability to use limb destruction, small joint manipulation and turn the fight to his advantage. Upon enemy entry, limb destruction is applied to inflict great pain and destroy vital target areas which immediately finishes the encounter within 3 seconds flat.

Apart from striking and locking, the empty handed artist is also well versed in Filipino combative wrestling or Dumog. Dumog-Pangamut or Dumpag is the term called when combined with the empty hand striking aspect. In most cases, if there are feuds in between families, the first person called to serve as the middle man to pacify the trouble is the Dumoguero because the presence of the Dumoguero scares everybody. The Dumoguero is the most feared man of the barrio in the provinces of the Philippines. The situation will be settled immediately in the presence of a Dumoguero in a fistfight or when a drunkard turns wild. A Dumog expert has a well built body with sturdy legs and broad shoulders who walks with legs spread far apart and does not normally wear shoes.

Dumog is considered as a natural sport and a natural ground combat fighting art as well. On tournaments which are held during town fiestas, winners are given awards: a dozen chicken eggs, a fighting rooster, a sack of rice, a sack of corn, one gallon of coconut wine, a bunch of bananas, two dozens coconut fruits and many others. To be a complete warrior, the Kaliman trains in the empty handed aspect, weapons and Dumog. The Dumoguero's belief in life, health, and success is well practiced in the fighting system of Pekiti-Tirsia.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

The Pekiti-Tirsia Empty Hands Nov 15, 2007
Pekiti-Tirsia empty hands is a direct translation of the weapon movements to non-weapon motion. Angles of attack are the same as hacking with a blade and slashes and thrusts of the knife. The weapon attribute of range from a long weapon maybe absent but is immediately compensated with close range trapping, joint manipulation and grappling to ground fighting. The base of the hand becomes the pommeling tool for impact, open hand slaps replace the angular slashes of the blade, the fingers and nails substitues for blade tip jabs and rakes, elbows and knees attacks the same target areas for blade entries which makes the opponent grimace in pain whenever the areas are penetrated, the arm and leg limbs becomes the key trapping components for grappling. So basically the whole body contributes as one arsenal to be the whole empty hand weapon.

The key element of the empty handed fighter which may not be found in other empty handed arts is the ability to use limb destruction, small joint manipulation and turn the fight to his advantage. Upon enemy entry, limb destruction is applied to inflict great pain and destroy vital target areas which immediately finishes the encounter within 3 seconds flat.

Apart from striking and locking, the empty handed artist is also well versed in Filipino combative wrestling or Dumog. Dumog-Pangamut or Dumpag is the term called when combined with the empty hand striking aspect. In most cases, if there are feuds in between families, the first person called to serve as the middle man to pacify the trouble is the Dumoguero because the presence of the Dumoguero scares everybody. The Dumoguero is the most feared man of the barrio in the provinces of the Philippines. The situation will be settled immediately in the presence of a Dumoguero in a fistfight or when a drunkard turns wild. A Dumog expert has a well built body with sturdy legs and broad shoulders who walks with legs spread far apart and does not normally wear shoes.

Dumog is considered as a natural sport and a natural ground combat fighting art as well. On tournaments which are held during town fiestas, winners are given awards: a dozen chicken eggs, a fighting rooster, a sack of rice, a sack of corn, one gallon of coconut wine, a bunch of bananas, two dozens coconut fruits and many others. To be a complete warrior, the Kaliman trains in the empty handed aspect, weapons and Dumog. The Dumoguero's belief in life, health, and success is well practiced in the fighting system of Pekiti-Tirsia.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Lady PNP-Special Action Force Commandos Nov 21, 2007

Our female LE counterparts donning our signature moves. Make no mistake who you are with and who is using PTK in training.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2007
Nice pictures.

One thing is for sure - I wouldn't want to be in a secluded place with those ladies!

:lol:
burton
Dubai forums Addict
Location: meanstreets of satwa, outside your mosque, stealing your shoes...

Nov 21, 2007
burton wrote:Nice pictures.

One thing is for sure - I wouldn't want to be in a secluded place with those ladies!

I wonder why... :roll:
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2007
Guys

Great class last night! Oscar, how are your forearms??!

Look forward to some dumog wrestling next lesson...

:wink:
burton
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 22, 2007
In the Filipino Martial Arts scene, it is no different. Arnis tends to mix itself with Karate-do which makes Arnisdo. Escrima mixes with Kung-fu to make it Escrimafu while Kali mixes with Jiujitsu to make it Kalijitsu.
holiday
dubai travel
dubaitraveler
Dubai Forum Guest

Nov 22, 2007
dubaitraveler wrote:In the Filipino Martial Arts scene, it is no different. Arnis tends to mix itself with Karate-do which makes Arnisdo. Escrima mixes with Kung-fu to make it Escrimafu while Kali mixes with Jiujitsu to make it Kalijitsu.
holiday
dubai travel

Hi dt. Mixing, in martial arts, is not a sin. Far from it.
But trust me, we don't mix.

PKT. Pureline...
burton
Dubai forums Addict

The Reality of Things to Come Nov 30, 2007
One cannot argue that the true nature of fighting is indeed through weapons. Wars are fought and won by weapon wielding individuals. In the aspect of believing in life not in death, success not in failure and health not in sickness, we prepare for the worst by engaging in simulation training or assimulo. Assimulo can be subdivided into several modules namely terrain, elements, scenario, and volume.

Armies train in the elements of rain, snow and heat to prepare themselves for whatever weather the enemy encounters them. One mistake is limiting yourself to only training in daytime. Most confrontations happen at night with low visibility. A man may seem larger at night when fully clothed where locking up with your assailant is possible. Counters to this becomes touch and feel where knife tapping and lock flow comes into play. Moreover, training in water makes one loses his grip on things and movements becomes slow motion. Water resistance prepares the large and small muscles to sync with the entire body for common movement. It also simulates a heavier person who is pushing against you. Roadwork against the wind also attributes to this purpose. If you're out in the cold rain for hours and have to fight someone, you'll be fighting alot differently considering that you'll be dancing around puddles of water with your underwear drenched in water.

Outdoor training is essential in the fact that it takes away the comfort of the gym environment where you can easily get warmed up, have a water break or just simply stretch out and relax whenever the workout gets a little bit difficult. A scenario which keeps playing back in your head like if you would be held at gunpoint in a subway or held at knifepoint in a leisurely park at night is not only supposed to remain in your mind's eye but acted out in a proper supervised way. Being attacked in an alley or staircase or being blitzed by a mob while out for coffee or a cigarette in an al fresco cafe are some of the things that we very well take note of.

Training outside is wise, good for the soul and makes sense considering the unlikely probability of actually fighting on the ground of one’s choosing.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2007
Pekiti-Tirsia Europe Festival 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmDug42vS0

Kali Means To Scrape featuring the Manila Pitbulls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvtusTnmcRQ
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Pekiti-Tirsia Holiday Message Dec 24, 2007
In behalf of Pekiti-Tirsia Dubai Sicas Famosus, we would like to thank Dubai Forums administrators for a job well done and letting us post our thoughts here on FMA and close the year 2007.

To all the viewers and contributors, expect more to come in 2008.

Merry Christmas and A Prosperous and Healthy New Year to all!
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 06, 2008
hi is this still going on at safa park? if so i might come and visit. please post or pm me some details. :oops: i also have no formal training on kali so im a complete noob. i just have background on boxing and currently doing muay thai.
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 07, 2008
xero_ wrote:hi is this still going on at safa park? if so i might come and visit. please post or pm me some details. :oops: i also have no formal training on kali so im a complete noob. i just have background on boxing and currently doing muay thai.

Sent you a PM.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 07, 2008
This just in from Discovery Channel's new series Fight Quest:

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?playerI ... 1351336740
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Combative Edge of Pekiti-Tirsia Jan 11, 2008
When you talk about Pekiti-Tirsia, you talk about blade culture. The Philippines' martial heritage is rich when it comes to edged weapons fighting. From the birth of man when Cain killed Abel and up until modern times in the countryside, blades are still being used mostly by farmers, meat butchers, woodshop workers, fruit vendors, etc. A farmer uses an itak or bolo to cut high weeds for panabas in the field and keeps a gun beside him to protect himself from carabao bandits at night. A meat butcher is identically equipped with numerous knives of all sizes around his waist that he uses to carve up pig and cow carcass that he carries on his back to be transported around the wet market for public consumption. A ginunting is also issued to the few but proud Force Recon Marine Corps to fend off insurgents in southern Philippines.

The nature of blade fighting is so inherent in the Philippines that one is not advised to practice disarming techniques. Dismemberment, maiming and puncturing are characteristics not found in impact weapons such as sticks, batons and staves but is apparent on a live blade. It is foolish to immediately disarm a ginunting which is travelling at 160 mph aimed right for your collarbone. Imagine that a 6 inch spyderco knife at the hands of a trained kali man is expected to take out at least 6 armed or unarmed assailants before subdued.

The Pekiti-Tirsia system taught as it was in the past is revived and applied to the Force Recons Marines, Philippine Marine Corps, Special Action Force Commandos, Crisis Response Group, Scout Rangers of the Philippine Army. This is also present through the joint military exercises "BALIKATAN" between the US Marines and the Philippine Marine Corps. Training is done to bring out the warrior spirit, not just a mere exercise or workout for fitness. When every factor is taken out of the equation, primal instincts for survival takeover. This is what we prepare for.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 13, 2008
Guys congratulation for organizing such a group. I used to practice MA in manila but that was ages ago. i dont have any money to pay those expensive trainings here in Dubai, all i want is to have some exercise because im not getting any younger i want to learn self defense as well. hope to meet you guys in the next training. Pls post or pm me the details. Thanks and Happy new year!!!
Last_Laolan_Seed
Dubai Expat Wannabe

What Was Lost Is Now Reborn! Jan 22, 2008
As Grand Tuhon Gaje says: "Pekiti-Tirsia Kali is the Art of Modern Times in the Living Past!" The practical use and counter offense against impact and edged weapons has always been and still is the focus of Pekiti-Tirsia Kali training. This is the reason why the art is still up to date as it was 100 years before.

Through the birth of Dubai Sicas Famosus, the art is propagated by indulging oneself with intense training. It is encouraged to train not every day but every minute of the day as one should be always in a training mindset when dealing with the fighting arts. In full view of the city skyline at night or out in the desert sand dunes of Dubai, distinctive young professionals from all over the world gather around to experience what is truly Filipino. It is inherent, brought by the good discipline and upbringing by their parents, that these superior individuals are the living re-incarnation of the warlords of today as real as it was in their yesterdays. It doesn't matter if one is a beginner with no actual martial experience or if one is a novice who has already mastered various arts. What is important is to have a clear mind and an empty cup when learning this killing system.

In the absence of a teacher, the student is expected to be training on his own, mastering the movements of the weapon, entry points, and respectable footwork applications. This way, when training day comes, it would not be difficult for one to grasp the lesson at hand and review the lessons previously learned. Knowing that the nature of fighting is bladed weapons through close quarters, it is expected that a practitioner is serious especially when there is a life on the line. The life may be yours or a loved one. We do not deal with sports, we mean COMBAT. Having a killer instinct as the basic mental state of mind, it is expected that killing time only takes 3 seconds flat. To achieve this is through tactical and strategic planning. The key... applying the 5 elements of combat which is speed, power, accuracy, timing and precision.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008
Sup Da!

Great class the other night.
Yo Oskar, see you at safa - if you reading this!

I got some espada y daga fo yo ass!

burton
Dubai forums Addict

New Class Schedule Feb 08, 2008
Please be advised that there is a new class timing starting Sunday, February 10, 2008.

Time: 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Days: every Sunday and Wednesday
Venue and Location: inside Gate 2, Al Safa Park, Jumeira 2, Dubai, UAE.

This is to accommodate people who are having difficulty making it in time due to working late and traffic.
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 08, 2008
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Key Essentials The Martial Way Feb 13, 2008
In this modern day and age, one always has to be wary about what he or she is getting into. In the field of martial arts alone, there are many groups who claim that they are the true ultimate art which can lead you to salvation. Below are some key points to consider when choosing a martial art to learn.

- Martial History
Does the art have a good martial history? This means that the art has been tried, tested and proven effective by old and new alike. If you are looking for an art which will protect your life, then it should have a history wherein its practioners were able to save lives, protected oneself, family and land. Who were its practitioners? Any notable personalities involved?

- Efficiency and Realism
Is the art comprehensible? Does it require grandiose and magnificent moves one needed to perfect in 10 years before one can apply it? Does the art provide realistic survival means and techniques in the field of battle? Am I being taught only an aspect of fighting or will it cover all ranges including the use of weapons?

- Qualified Instructor
Is the teacher qualified to teach? What is the teacher's martial resume? What is the character? Who are the ones allowed to teach?

- Promotes Good Values/Character
Does it only promote violence? Will immersing oneself in the art make you a better person physically, intellectually and spiritually? Will it enable me to help myself and then my fellowman?

- System of Progression
Is there a good solid base for progression? What will one be able to achieve in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years? Do they have a hierarchical system based on skill level or based on how much one can pay?

- Techniques vs. Principles
Is there a curriculum to the system? Am I being given final movements or building blocks for me to develop my move? Am I being allowed to express myself in the movement or am I limited?

- Self-defense vs. Self Preservation?
Am I being taught to defend myself or to keep myself alive? Will this extend to others as well or be only limited to myself? Does the art promote good health, good living and success in everything that I do?
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2008
Guys,

My friend left so im ready to swing the sticks with you guys again!

See you in Safa park tomorrow!

Burton, watch out...
Oskar
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 25, 2008
How are you doing guys? How did you find last night's class?
DaWarrior
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat