Only 11 Cars Abandoned At Airport In Past Year

Topic locked
Only 11 cars abandoned at airport in past year Feb 07, 2009
The official reply... 8)

http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_and_The_Courts/10282898.html

Dubai: Lieutenant-General Dhahi Khalfan Tamim, Chief of Dubai Police, has strongly denied a rumour that many people are abandoning their cars at Dubai International Airport amid the global economic crisis.

The report was published in the Arabic electronic newspaper Elaph.com.

During an urgent press conference in Dubai, Lieutant-General Dhahi denied the report published on Thursday, which based its information on The Times of London which claimed there were 3,000 abandoned cars at Dubai International Airport.

"I swear by the Lord that Benyamin [writer of the article] lied even as he based his report on The Times article," Lieutant-General Dhahi said at the beginning of the press conference.

The reporter contributed to spreading a rumour that many people are greedy, envious and resentful about the economic growth of Dubai, he said.

"A reporter should always verify the facts of a report. Did the reporter come back to us or request a comment and we said 'No' to him?! Credibility, objectivity and accountability are essential in journalism and this report lacked credibility.

"Be assured that if we had at least 50 or 25 or 15 cars abandoned at the airport, I would have told you about it. There have only been 11 cars left at the airport since January 1, 2008, which is before the global economic crisis," he said.

"False statements on the market collapsing, as stated in the article, are nothing but incorrect rumours. If there is any disruption we will inform the media about it," said Lieutant-General Dhahi.

"It is not even worth a story to write about the abandoning of 11 cars in a 6,000 car parking lot," he stated.

"We are not denying the presence of the global financial crisis, but what's been attributed to Dubai is completely false whether it is locally or internationally published. There is a fierce campaign against the reputation of the blooming city of Dubai.

I have clear and direct instructions from His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, to be completely honest with the media."

"The country is still witnessing a smooth flow in its economy. The title of the article creates an atmosphere of fear, mistrust, and contributes to spreading a rumour of a rumour. We have to put a limit to this, we are aware of the reports published on this but now it has gotten out of proportion," he said.

quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 07, 2009
So now where is the truth?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 07, 2009
Guess the people who live there and got fired would know what really happend. As an outsider, would be very interesting to know the REAL status of Dubai. The media has only brought up the construction projects that is delayed or cancelled, which is one effect of the crisis. in the economic forum...they still see Dubai as a good place to invest...
Nivine79
Dubai Forum User

Feb 07, 2009
dam it , so expensive cars to buy fro an auction :(

hey sage it could be that reporter ones posted a reply asking something and you were wondering why is he getting info from a forum, remember? I can't recall witch thread was it.. DF is getting popular
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Only 11 cars abandoned at airport in past year Feb 07, 2009
I swear by the Lord

Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 07, 2009
Dubai official in "Head in the sand"shocker.
It's funny how every time a negative news story about the Emirate appears then there's always a quick retraction, denial or cover up.
That's what media censorship does . Spoonfeeding the masses what they need to hear. Keeps the locals subservient I suppose
CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 07, 2009
CVB wrote:Dubai official in "Head in the sand"shocker.
It's funny how every time a negative news story about the Emirate appears then there's always a quick retraction, denial or cover up.
That's what media censorship does . Spoonfeeding the masses what they need to hear. Keeps the locals subservient I suppose

the only ones seems to be worried what this country does are the expats !! locals are fine... move along...next plzzzzz
uaekid

Feb 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:
the only ones seems to be worried what this country does are the expats !! locals are fine... move along...next plzzzzz

Worried? Who? The expats?
I swear by the Lord that uaekid is lying as he based his facts on some bogus articles and news reports about expats getting laid off.
zzzane
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 08, 2009
Well somebody is telling porkies!

Statements like that smack of desperation
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 08, 2009
it's funny him using "I swear by the Lord" its like he is going on 18th century war LOOOOOL.

but like I said before the reporter is like you guys !a Parrot, only repeats what it hears, no intelligent to go further LOOOL...lets start another fight up in here, it's been a couple of day since I started the stupid (I shell not fight in this day )crap, it is not doing it for me.
uaekid

Feb 08, 2009
uaekid wrote:it's funny him using "I swear by the Lord" its like he is going on 18th century war LOOOOOL.

No, its funny that your saying this. I'm sure its merely a translation of "Walla" that Arabs use in every sentence even when speaking english.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 08, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
uaekid wrote:it's funny him using "I swear by the Lord" its like he is going on 18th century war LOOOOOL.

No, its funny that your saying this. I'm sure its merely a translation of "Walla" that Arabs use in every sentence even when speaking english.

"Walla" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 08, 2009
CVB wrote: That's what media censorship does . Spoonfeeding the masses what they need to hear. Keeps the locals subservient I suppose

I think you'll find this happens in every country that has a media, to a greater or lesser degree.

Fox News, anyone?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 08, 2009
K-Dog wrote:

Yes... its the translation of WALLA... the interview originally was in Arabic and officially posted om the Arabic version of Emirates today newspaper
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 08, 2009
where do they exactly park the abandoned cars in the airport parking? is it in the long term or short term parking? or is it the dirt parking next to the taxi base?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:where do they exactly park the abandoned cars in the airport parking? is it in the long term or short term parking?

They use the 'no return' parking lot.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 08, 2009
rudeboy wrote:where do they exactly park the abandoned cars in the airport parking? is it in the long term or short term parking? or is it the dirt parking next to the taxi base?

Maybe '11 cars abandoned' is a trick answer. Perhaps if you leave the keys, the car isn't classed as 'abandoned'.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat