Abandoned Cars

Topic locked
Re: what happens to these cars Jun 18, 2009
bsr wrote:
RobbyG wrote:When people are fleeing their financial responsibilities to avoid jailtime in a downturn economy....would you still think of formalities?

One thing is for sure, not one company will ever get my original passport for safekeeping. They can get a copy but it ends there.
The only thing of true value to me in this world is my nationality status. Ain't getting mine ;)

O and by the way: I'm fiscally responsible :D

Eventually, what happens to all these abadoned cars.. are these sold in auction or what !!!

At this time their are no official figures as to how many have been abandoned and I believe that the amount will dramatically increase over the next couple of weeks due to the end of the School year.

Sometimes the holding of the passport is completely misunderstood, for instance at times Labour Department Inspections are carried out, if they come to your office you better have all the passports of the people you employ, so on one hand they tell you it is not allowed to retain an employees passport and on the other they penalize you because you don't have it!!!!!!!

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: what happens to these cars Jun 19, 2009
bsr wrote:Eventually, what happens to all these abadoned cars.. are these sold in auction or what !!!

Most of them end up landing into the second hand car show rooms in Al Aveer
janathar
Dubai Forums Member

janathar wrote:
bsr wrote:Eventually, what happens to all these abadoned cars.. are these sold in auction or what !!!

An opinion or a fact?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
janathar wrote:

An opinion or a fact?

Mister "I don't trust anyone"...

Want a government broadcast to confirm it? :D
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 19, 2009
I do also. :P

I still say they're being sunk as artificial reefs for the marine life. :D Care to disprove me anyone?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 19, 2009
Speedhump wrote:I do also. :P

I still say they're being sunk as artificial reefs for the marine life. :D Care to disprove me anyone?

Planes only. They don't want oily engine bays destroying the corals ;)
RobbyG

Jun 20, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Planes only. They don't want oily engine bays destroying the corals ;)

Not really. They sank some chassis and tires off Fujairah coast for artificial reefs and a dive spot called "car cemetery" at depth of 15 meters. The guide made a joke that it was a Bentley ;)
Some pics I took when diving, the red tide was awful.
Image Image
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jun 20, 2009
Is it just me or do you also not see any dive attraction
just a big lump of rust... :shock:

I want planes and trains (stamping my foot now) :D
RobbyG

Jun 20, 2009
LOL, I was actually joking. My point being that if someone makes a comment (like saying they all end up at Al Awir used car lots) then it doesn't have to be accepted as 100 pct true, S&O has the right to say 'opinion or fact?'! :D

Yep Robby, not such a big attraction now :) but I think the steel skeletons in xty's photos will be indistinguishable from natural coral formations after some years (10-20 years? no idea how long personally) once the organic action of the coral's growth has taken it in its own directions? We need to be doing stuff like this to make up for the corals we have destroyed. When I went to the Maldives I saw how much damage was done by tourists who have no idea how to swim over coral beds.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: what happens to these cars Jun 20, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
An opinion or a fact?

No, just what overheard
janathar
Dubai Forums Member

Re: what happens to these cars Jun 20, 2009
janathar wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
An opinion or a fact?

No, just what overheard

Well you should go to Al Aweer and see the amount of 2nd hand vehicles available.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: what happens to these cars Jun 21, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
bsr wrote:
RobbyG wrote:When people are fleeing their financial responsibilities to avoid jailtime in a downturn economy....would you still think of formalities?

One thing is for sure, not one company will ever get my original passport for safekeeping. They can get a copy but it ends there.
The only thing of true value to me in this world is my nationality status. Ain't getting mine ;)

Eventually, what happens to all these abadoned cars.. are these sold in auction or what !!!

At this time their are no official figures as to how many have been abandoned and I believe that the amount will dramatically increase over the next couple of weeks due to the end of the School year.

Sometimes the holding of the passport is completely misunderstood, for instance at times Labour Department Inspections are carried out, if they come to your office you better have all the passports of the people you employ, so on one hand they tell you it is not allowed to retain an employees passport and on the other they penalize you because you don't have it!!!!!!!

I beg to differ ol' wise S&G. The labour dept has no authority of the immigration issues. And they will never ask for your passport, but instead ask for your Labour Card which is there jurisdiction and if they do its outside their rights. Passport and Visa issues are Immigration Dept related issues.

Just like the Traffic police have no right to ask for anything other than your license and registration for example in case of an accident.

I have witnessed many labour checks in my 33 years here and never once had to show my passport to any labour official. Even at the labour dept they don't demand for your original passport when renewing or applying for a new labour permit.
desertdudeshj

Re: what happens to these cars Jun 21, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
bsr wrote:

I beg to differ ol' wise S&G. The labour dept has no authority of the immigration issues. And they will never ask for your passport, but instead ask for your Labour Card which is there jurisdiction and if they do its outside their rights. Passport and Visa issues are Immigration Dept related issues.

Just like the Traffic police have no right to ask for anything other than your license and registration for example in case of an accident.

I have witnessed many labour checks in my 33 years here and never once had to show my passport to any labour official. Even at the labour dept they don't demand for your original passport when renewing or applying for a new labour permit.

It is the Company that has to produce the passport, not the individual.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 21, 2009
No company has also been never asked to produce passports either. My family has owned and run bussiness here and are all too fimilar with these things.
desertdudeshj

Jun 21, 2009
So what happens, like my passport is in my keeping but stored in my domicile and not in the office, will they penalize the company?

That will be totally unfair to my employer nor do i want my employer keeping my passport too!
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:No company has also been never asked to produce passports either. My family has owned and run bussiness here and are all too fimilar with these things.

Wrong again, you should state no company that you have been involved with, because I have been in this situation with the labour dept a couple of times with different companies.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat