New Years Eve Plans

Topic locked
Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 02, 2012
Good try FD!

I'm no Xpert in Yorkshire-ish but here's my attempt

Aah lass, I wa' wick 'n' f'st fooit that neet.

Sorry Bora, I was sh*t faced on New Years Eve after visiting my friends.

Supwier?

Would you care to join me for a drink?

The's nowt t'ummer wi' keyboard!

There is nothing wrong with my keyboard.

sitha,

Bye Bye (or it could be 'you see')

weer ta bahn wi summat allock? Gawby kitlin.

Absolutely no idea on this bit (that's me saying that, not a translation)

We will have to wait to hear the correct version from the horse's mouth.

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 02, 2012
Bethsmum wrote:We will have to wait to hear the correct version from the horse's mouth.

Are you saying this is horsespeak? Is Dillon a vet???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Re: New Years Eve plans Jan 03, 2012
Well there were some brilliant attempts at interpretations but sadly none of which were to do with Podophilia or Dr Doolittle, BM was nearest and I nearly fell off my chair laughing at the “Sorry Bora, I was sh*t faced on New Years Eve after visiting my friends” comment, :lol: so very true although slightly off what was written.

Aah lass, = Yes dear, (a term of endearment from a male to a female, Lad would be used F to M.)

I wa' wick 'n' f'st fooit that neet = I was quick and first foot that night, (The first person over the threshold of a friend or neighbour on New Year’s Day, an old custom to bring Luck, a first fooit should carry a piece of coal, a lump of bread and a pinch of salt, to signify warmth, food and health for the household for the Year to come, and in return should be offered the hospitality of the house)

Supwier? = What is the matter with you?

The's nowt t'ummer wi' keyboard! = There is nothing the matter/bother with my keyboard!

Sitha, weer ta bahn wi summat allock? Look here, where exactly are you heading with those droll tiresome comments :)

Gawby kitlin. = Silly cat. :lol:

Some sort of thick forgotten British accent???
:shock:

Yorkshire dialect's, although still spoken, like all regional dialects have declined due to standard education, movies, the advent of T.V., Political Correctness and the increasing mobility of it’s sons and daughters.

All the differing local versions of Yorkshire dialect are characterised by short staccato bursts of glottalised words with the aspirant absent or misplaced; vowels are short but very clear, e.g. 'nose' and 'knows' which in standard English are pronounced very similarly are quite different in Yorkshire. Double '0' is pronounced as if there was an i following, e.g. boot = booit, and some other similar combinations are found: coal = coil, hole = 'oil, with a strong emphasis on the ending of the word.

It was in Yorkshire (as well as Pennine parts of Lancashire, Staffordshire, and Derbyshire) that Anglo-Saxon speakers mixed with Scandinavian settlers in the market places, etc., during the 8th to the 11th centuries, and engaged in a simplified speech to make themselves understood to each other, dropping gender, word endings, complex conjugations, etc. The result was the birth of a lingua franca of simplified Anglo-Saxon/Middle English that spread throughout England; a revolution speeded up after the Norman Conquest. Yorkshire can take pride in this important part in the early origins of what is now the world language, English.

In more recent times the Yorkshire dialect has been conservative thus, for example, keeping the ‘thee’ form of the second person pronoun. Yorkshire is on the linguistic border of two varieties of English called Northern and North-Midland English, and thus shares some characteristics with Lowland Scots English as well as that spoken in the Midlands.

Yorkshire can take pride in Dr. Joseph Wright (1855-1930) of Bradford, the first systematic compiler of dialect forms in the United Kingdom. This remarkable man was largely self¬ educated. He started life as a textile worker studying in his spare time and with nothing but a meagre bursary he walked to Heidelberg, Germany, where, recognised for his outstanding talents, he gained a doctorate in 1885. Back in England in 1891 he began the monumental Dictionary of English Dialects which took 14 years to complete. In 1897 he founded the Yorkshire Dialect Society, http://www.yorkshiredialectsociety.org.uk/index.html In 1901 he was appointed Professor of Comparative Philology at Oxford.

A quote From; Huddersfield, A Most Handsome Town.

:lol:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 03, 2012
Supwier? = What is the matter with you?

Of course! I even tried to say it in a daft accent but I think I was harking back to my northeastern roots then as 'to sup' is to drink.

There's a 'reet hap up' forecast here today!

Any takers?
Bethsmum

Re: New Years Eve plans Jan 03, 2012
Well it's definitely not Yorkshire, for the same as Germans our aiches are silent and I've never heard of it from the North East, so I would guess it's from the Nortn West and you're talking about a covering of snow?

:?:
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Bethsmum wrote:There's a 'reet hap up' forecast here today!

Any takers?

reet hap = a$$ bite, so maybe "up yours", ya'ani very bad wheather.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Yes, it's snowing!
Bethsmum

Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 04, 2012
Happy new year, i just watched some fireworkd shows and had a big dinner...
yuqtegsdfr
Dubai Forum User

yuqtegsdfr wrote: just watched some fireworkd shows

You seem to like fireworks. Next year you should come to London. We have the best firework display in the world.
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:
yuqtegsdfr wrote: just watched some fireworkd shows

You seem to like fireworks. Next year you should come to London. We have the best firework display in the world.

That's a tough call, Sydney has a spectacular display aswell. I'd like to be on The London Eye at the time wouldn't you? That would be amazing!
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

London was definately better than Sydney this year, I think we were trying to make a statement or something. I'm not sure about being in the London Eye, most of the fireworks seemed to be coming from the Eye itself. A bit like being in the middle of Baghdad on a bad day.

I think the best view would have been from the other side of the river.
Bethsmum

Lol @ BM!
Has Beth gone back to school today? My babies have & I'm missing them loads!cant wait to collect them! What's that all about:-/?!!!
Sandstormlady
Dubai Forums Member

Sandstormlady wrote:Lol @ BM!
Has Beth gone back to school today? My babies have & I'm missing them loads!cant wait to collect them! What's that all about:-/?!!!

I'm not sure as I'm not very maternal, I'm afraid :(

Yes, Beth is back at school today and has a big term ahead. It's GCSE year, not that you'd notice of course as she spends the majority of her time with her head stuck in her Blackberry.

I think she's in training to be a WAG. Her favoutite programme is TOWIE. That won't mean much to anyone with normal intelligence.

She's doing well despite all of the above!

My beautiful Beth :D
Bethsmum

Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 06, 2012
However, i think it is not important where has the most amazing fireworks show ,but to watch that with the one you love ,right?
yuqtegsdfr
Dubai Forum User

Re: New Years Eve Plans Jan 06, 2012
yuqtegsdfr wrote:However, i think it is not important where has the most amazing fireworks show ,but to watch that with the one you love ,right?

If you can’t be with the one you love, honey, love the one you’re with.

The World According To Neil Young and BM. :drunken:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat