Man's Inhumanity To Man

Topic locked
Man's inhumanity to man May 06, 2007
Our housemaid shifted from our sponsorship to a local's cos we were struggling to pay around AED7000 a year 'deposit' here in Sharjah. He charged her AED 6000 and she gets a 2 year visa. She's just found out that her brother has died in an accident in Sri Lanka. We managed to get her on a flight tomorrow but when I asked if she had her passport she told me her sponsor is holding it.
And get this: he wants her to pay him AED 500 to give it back to her so she can travel. I called him to discuss it and he was adamant - business is business.
I think my disillusionment with this place is at an all time high.

sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Man's inhumanity to man May 07, 2007
sauron wrote:Our housemaid shifted from our sponsorship to a local's cos we were struggling to pay around AED7000 a year 'deposit' here in Sharjah. He charged her AED 6000 and she gets a 2 year visa. She's just found out that her brother has died in an accident in Sri Lanka. We managed to get her on a flight tomorrow but when I asked if she had her passport she told me her sponsor is holding it.
And get this: he wants her to pay him AED 500 to give it back to her so she can travel. I called him to discuss it and he was adamant - business is business.

That's sick.

Call him and tell him someone told you that it is illegal to hold somone's passaport and that you don't want to create trouble for him so he should give it back to her. Else call the police. Or call the the newspaper and just tell them the story.

What goes around comes around.
Salik
Dubai Forums Member

Salik wrote:
sauron wrote:Our housemaid shifted from our sponsorship to a local's cos we were struggling to pay around AED7000 a year 'deposit' here in Sharjah. He charged her AED 6000 and she gets a 2 year visa. She's just found out that her brother has died in an accident in Sri Lanka. We managed to get her on a flight tomorrow but when I asked if she had her passport she told me her sponsor is holding it.

That's sick.

Call him and tell him someone told you that it is illegal to hold somone's passaport and that you don't want to create trouble for him so he should give it back to her. Else call the police. Or call the the newspaper and just tell them the story.

Whilst agreeing with what you say, this action will certainly lose the girl her sponsorship and then what will she do.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Salik wrote:

That's sick.

Whilst agreeing with what you say, this action will certainly lose the girl her sponsorship and then what will she do.

And what makes you think that she considers her job as a maid more important than her family :roll:
Salik
Dubai Forums Member

This housemaid issue sickens me, lots of sponsors regardless of their raise abuses them and their rights of salaries rate, day off and daily business working hours. Me and my wife handle the kids and never let the maid deal with them and the ironing is done by the laundry people so it is mostly cleaning 5 bedrooms .and she does get her day off for whatever needs she has.
The passport thing, well though she is in a hold of it but I would agree to holding it at least for sometime until you make sure she is ok I mean she wont steal something and run away or harm the kids .
I liked what the country of Philippine did and the roles they forced to hiring their citizens working here and the fair salary rate they forced, this is what every county should do, just look out for its own citizen.
firefingers

firefingers wrote:I liked what the country of Philippine did and the roles they forced to hiring their citizens working here and the fair salary rate they forced, this is what every county should do, just look out for its own citizen.

This is kind of passing the buck though isn't it? Why leave it to the 100 countries who have workers here to set the rules when the government of just 1 country i.e. the UAE could set and enforce the rules?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Salik wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Salik wrote:

That's sick.

And what makes you think that she considers her job as a maid more important than her family :roll:

This is what makes it worse. As well as her own family, she will now probably have to help support her brother's three young kids so she is now even more reliant on her work and salary here.
She's just called me now to say she spoke to the sponsor again and he's so angry that I tackled him about it, he is refusing to release her passport to her.
What do we do now? As if she didn't have enough on her plate.
Ian is right: the government is well aware that this is going on and are turning a blind eye to it.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

sauron wrote:
Salik wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Salik wrote:

That's sick.

This is what makes it worse. As well as her own family, she will now probably have to help support her brother's three young kids so she is now even more reliant on her work and salary here.
She's just called me now to say she spoke to the sponsor again and he's so angry that I tackled him about it, he is refusing to release her passport to her.
Ian is right: the government is well aware that this is going on and are turning a blind eye to it.

I would call him again and if he threthens you tell him you will call the police.

Telll him about his article http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06 ... 46487.html use the names in the article Aref Miraf director of legal department of the ministry of labor and lieutenant general Sheik Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, minister of interior, state in the article. Both state that withholding the passport is illegal under UAE law.

Else call the newspaper. Just pick up a copy of emirates today, 7 days and gulf news and these reporters will be happy to speak to you. This bastard should be publically shamed. But first and most important is to get the maid's passport back.
Salik
Dubai Forums Member

Salik wrote:
sauron wrote:
Salik wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
Salik wrote:

That's sick.

I would call him again and if he threthens you tell him you will call the police.

Telll him about his article http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/06 ... 46487.html use the names in the article Aref Miraf director of legal department of the ministry of labor and lieutenant general Sheik Saif Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, minister of interior, state in the article. Both state that withholding the passport is illegal under UAE law.

Else call the newspaper. Just pick up a copy of emirates today, 7 days and gulf news and these reporters will be happy to speak to you. This bastard should be publically shamed. But first and most important is to get the maid's passport back.

But Road Toll, 7Days hasn't named and shamed anyone for the past two years (except a few that they know won't sue them). Have you read those service complaint letters that seem to never name a company? 7Days edits out the name of the company.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

^ian^ wrote:
firefingers wrote:I liked what the country of Philippine did and the roles they forced to hiring their citizens working here and the fair salary rate they forced, this is what every county should do, just look out for its own citizen.

This is kind of passing the buck though isn't it? Why leave it to the 100 countries who have workers here to set the rules when the government of just 1 country i.e. the UAE could set and enforce the rules?

oh my again with demands, what is it you want from this country ? tugging you in bed ? anyway I agree but don't you think international businesses in the country wont like it, I mean if the country is going to apply a rule then it will be applied to all, right? and all these businesses shifted to country bcz of comfortable easy non taxing rules..
firefingers

firefingers wrote:oh my again with demands, what is it you want from this country ? tugging you in bed

Not sure I've made any demands from this country.... not last time I checked. Of course, if you just want to lump everyone into one category of 'expats' and treat them with disdane go for it.

I happen to think most local are great level headed people... you not so much. But I'm not going to let that affect my opinions of others.

? anyway I agree but don't you think international businesses in the country wont like it, I mean if the country is going to apply a rule then it will be applied to all, right?

And why not?

and all these businesses shifted to country bcz of comfortable easy non taxing rules..

And what about all the local businesses in this country that flourish under these comfortable easy non taxing rules? The same rules that require 50% local ownership outside a free zone?

Face the facts man, I think what's going on here is great, but issues relating to 'humanity' can't be passed to other countries. Laws should be passed HERE, and these LAWS should be enforced... HERE.
^ian^

^ian^ wrote:
firefingers wrote:oh my again with demands, what is it you want from this country ? tugging you in bed

Not sure I've made any demands from this country.... not last time I checked. Of course, if you just want to lump everyone into one category of 'expats' and treat them with disdane go for it.

I happen to think most local are great level headed people... you not so much. But I'm not going to let that affect my opinions of others.

? anyway I agree but don't you think international businesses in the country wont like it, I mean if the country is going to apply a rule then it will be applied to all, right?

And why not?

and all these businesses shifted to country bcz of comfortable easy non taxing rules..

And what about all the local businesses in this country that flourish under these comfortable easy non taxing rules? The same rules that require 50% local ownership outside a free zone?

Face the facts man, I think what's going on here is great, but issues relating to 'humanity' can't be passed to other countries. Laws should be passed HERE, and these LAWS should be enforced... HERE.

what's with you picking on us, god.. now you don't agree with citizens taking advantage of their citizenship, comaaaan, that's a bit too much, don't you think.
and I wont use this word ( Humanity ), what country you want compare the UAE with ian, give me an example, let us discuss it like adults and by numbers, shall we?
firefingers

firefingers wrote:what's with you picking on us, god.. now you don't agree with citizens taking advantage of their citizenship, comaaaan, that's a bit too much, don't you think.

I think you've got a massive chip on your shoulder man. Not once have I 'picked' on you, but I have pointed out that there is a bit of responsibility dodging going on here.

Nice a country works hard to prevent exploitation of its workers, but it's shame that the UAE doesn't work as hard to prevent exploitation of ALL workers regardless of nationality.

and I wont use this word ( Humanity ), what country you want compare the UAE with ian, give me an example, let us discuss it like adults and by numbers, shall we?

For sure... what about Australia?
^ian^

May 07, 2007
that was easy man and i didn't search further.
http://www.nswccl.org.au/issues/hr_violations.php
firefingers

May 07, 2007
firefingers wrote:that was easy man and i didn't search further.

Sorry to Butt in...But couldnt help myself...Firefingers did you go thru the link on the so called violations..

1. Tasmanian anti-gay laws violate right to privacy - UAE it is illegal for a couple to me together out of wedlock....You are jailed!!!!! Forget gay rights...

2. Deportation - ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS...UAE does the same.....

3.two years for a court to bring down judgment violates right to a speedy trial - UAE POLICE DOESNT GIVE A RIGHT TO A CALL WHEN THEY ARREST SOME ONE...So a person in jail has no way to contact his family, lawyer until investigations arent complete...Unless they are a local...Then everything is forgiven.....

Do you want me to go on...And that link most of it is to do with illegal immigration....

So please know one was trying to blame you but the rules have to change...In no other country are citizen treated differently than people on work permits...Laws are same for everyone..

NOT HERE

Cheers
devilsdiciple
Dubai Expat Helper

True, because UAE is slow in drafting & implementing its labour policies. Cases of abused victims are higher here in mid-east. Regarding the salary, it is nothing compared to salary of Filipinos (working as caregivers, nannies, and househelp) in G8 countries plus they are protected, not being raped and were treated like family members. Here, they are treated like dogs and no payment of salary. That is why, they run away.

Philippine government is on the process of implementing a policy to streamline exporting of workers to work as “maids” and to discourage its female citizens to come to mid-east & work as maids due to high cases of reported abuse, ill-treatment etc. In return, the Philippine government offered other alternative - accessible facilities for trainings & work skills that can be learned through the training center. Though this kind of policy takes a little time, at least Philippine government is doing something to prevent its citizens becoming a victim of abusive employers. In due time, deployment of workers to work as “maids” will become lesser and lesser. And only quality employers can hire them, because of the terms & conditions in the newly amendment contract signed by UAE Ministry of Labor and Department of Labor of the Philippines. This is a way of thanking the Filipino Overseas Workers for their bigger economic contribution and continuous dollar inflows through remittances.

Good Point Ian.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2007
firefingers wrote:that was easy man and i didn't search further.

LOL! Perhaps you should have...
^ian^

May 07, 2007
The problem of course this will also create is hiring Phillipino maids might become 'too much trouble' and create a bias towards hiring maids from countries with no such home government looking out for them.

The laws need to be created and enforced here giving legal protection to everyone... equally.
^ian^

May 07, 2007
Sauron,

This lady can always go to the police - to their Human Rights department.
freza
Dubai chat master

May 07, 2007
freza wrote:Sauron,

they have that there :shock: :shock: *leaving village to get visa for dubai*. i will tell neighbors also.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2007

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken such a case to their Human Rights department - in fact, I'd like to hear from anyone who knows it exists.
Anyway, all she wants at the moment - as anyone would in a similar situation - is to get on a plane and be with her family. The good news is that he gave her the passport ( still demanding the 500 ).
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 08, 2007
sauron wrote:

I'd like to hear from anyone who has taken such a case to their Human Rights department - in fact, I'd like to hear from anyone who knows it exists.
Anyway, all she wants at the moment - as anyone would in a similar situation - is to get on a plane and be with her family. The good news is that he gave her the passport ( still demanding the 500 ).

did she leave? hope alls ok now
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 08, 2007
:D Yes, she went last night. Thanks for asking.
sauron
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 08, 2007
Thats great, hope all goes well on her return as well.:)

cheers
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 08, 2007
sauron wrote::D Yes, she went last night. Thanks for asking.

great work sauron hope you gave her money for taxi. i'll remove bad thoughts about you now (but only for 17 hours).

i was ready to call in the mac-force to go have a chat wid him as i know people in low places and high places.
MAC
Dubai Expat Helper

May 08, 2007
Firefingers, your country is great, at least amongst the other Gulf countries I feel it has done extremely well. However, you can become even greater if you become tolerant and can take constructive criticism, and thats what is happening here. Ian is right
zonker
BANNED

May 10, 2007
Sauron - you probably couldn't have a worse reply than mine. Its just some experience I would like to share. Similar set-up happened to my sister's maid...it was her son who was serious and maybe dying. Investigation proved the lady was plain lying and her son was fine. We spoke to her one and only son (20yrs)- who didn't know he was supposed to be sick. She just wanted to get out of the country and hold of her ppt, so she could come back and take up 10's of part-times and hopefully earn more.

Sis sent her back home after cancelling her visa. Years ago I had a sort of a simlar situation, where the lady (who I had then illegally hired - never repeated that again) claimed her little son was very sick and she took depression leave and was considering going back home (but could not as she did not have a visa). Eventually, this lady died within a month (yes died) suddenly at her place (she use to live out) and we found out she had been living with her boyfriend and was pregnant - tried to get illegal abortion and lost her life in the process. She was hoping to somehow get to India for the abortion. She was a good househelp I must say - but when she died I found out she never had a son (only a daughter). No wonder, whenever she has wanted depression leave it was something her son had done, or something that had happened to him.

I hope all turns out fine for you.
AFG
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 10, 2007
The whole setup is open to abuse from either side.

There should be specialist commercial agencies set up which adhere to clearly set government guidelines or have their license revoked - this could then protect both the maid and the employer.

Of course this will drive up the prices of maid's as they will then require the rights that the rest of us enjoy such as medical insurance, holiday allocation and the other factors which we all take for granted. Some will moan about this because they cannot afford it - well i cannot afford to have someone clean my house everyday, so I do what I have always done, clean it myself.

Under no conditions should anyone hold anyone else's passport apart from the police.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

May 10, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:The whole setup is open to abuse from either side.

There should be specialist commercial agencies set up which adhere to clearly set government guidelines or have their license revoked - this could then protect both the maid and the employer.

Of course this will drive up the prices of maid's as they will then require the rights that the rest of us enjoy such as medical insurance, holiday allocation and the other factors which we all take for granted. Some will moan about this because they cannot afford it - well i cannot afford to have someone clean my house everyday, so I do what I have always done, clean it myself.

Under no conditions should anyone hold anyone else's passport apart from the police.

I am sure you work for a good company, but I'd say about 80% of the companies here hold employee passports. DEWA does it. JAFZA multinationals do it. My "American" college does it. Hell, even those stupid little car rental agencies wanted my passport (which is funny because those small-time retards should know companies hold passports). Laws are only for show over here and can be bent whenever needed.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 10, 2007
Really - I did not know that, which shows how little I do know.

My wifes passport was held for the first month while they processed her residency. She works for 100% owned UAE buisness - and its the same there for all nationalities.

I registered with a freezone in RAK and they just took a photocopy until the residency was placed on my passport which took a week.

So what do you do if you want to go out of the country? Are you sure its as high as 80% that hold a passport for the full duration of employment or just the initial stages during residency process?

I must say I don't quite understand how laws are chopped and changed so frequent.

I took a work colleague to the e-card registration office after reading on the web site that anyone from the 33 or so countries allowed visa's on arrival could apply could collect one. When we got there we were told, immigration has changed law, only for residents, but come back in two months when they might change it back!??!?
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat