Man's Inhumanity To Man

Topic locked
May 10, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Really - I did not know that, which shows how little I do know.

My wifes passport was held for the first month while they processed her residency. She works for 100% owned UAE buisness - and its the same there for all nationalities.

I registered with a freezone in RAK and they just took a photocopy until the residency was placed on my passport which took a week.

So what do you do if you want to go out of the country? Are you sure its as high as 80% that hold a passport for the full duration of employment or just the initial stages during residency process?

I must say I don't quite understand how laws are chopped and changed so frequent.

I took a work colleague to the e-card registration office after reading on the web site that anyone from the 33 or so countries allowed visa's on arrival could apply could collect one. When we got there we were told, immigration has changed law, only for residents, but come back in two months when they might change it back!??!?

It might different for Western folks on the passport issue, as everyone who has this issue are Asian. When a person wants to go on leave or need it for some formality, you just have to ask the company formally for the passport. Of course, many a-hole companies use it to blackmail employees from changing jobs. Usually, people higher up in terms of jobs get to keep their passports though, whereever they are from.

gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat