Large Fire Hits Al Quoz Industrial Area Of Dubai

Topic locked
Large fire hits Al Quoz industrial area of Dubai Mar 26, 2008

on Gulfnews.com

Dubai: At least one person is believed to have died after a huge blast rocked the Al Quoz industrial area early on Wednesday.

A large black cloud of smoke could be seen billowing into the air following what witnesses say was a large explosion which shook windows in the surrounding area.

Police sources say the fire occurred in a firecracker warehouse, with some reports claiming that firecrackers are still going off more than two hours after the initial blast.

An RTA technician Ameer Pineda, who was on his way to work, saw the explosion. "I was terrified. My ears popped and I thought it was a bomb."

All routes towards the industrial area have been closed off.

There are a number of injuries but it is unclear how many.

Residents nearby said they had heard a large explosion nearby which shook windows.

It is still unclear what has caused the fire.

quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 26, 2008
Gosh, thats really bad, i feel sorry for the person/s family/s.

I'd be curious to know what started this.
little_miss_sunshine
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 26, 2008
I just saw an article yesterday about the UAE starting its nuclear program and today a mushroom cloud! Coincidence...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 26, 2008
I was in the area when the explosion occurred, the ensuing fire was incredible and unfortunately lives were lost. It also highlights the inadequacy of the Authorities in implementing the proper codes and standards. Hopefully their will be a "lessons learned" exercise to follow.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 26, 2008
sage & onion wrote:I was in the area when the explosion occurred, the ensuing fire was incredible and unfortunately lives were lost. It also highlights the inadequacy of the Authorities in implementing the proper codes and standards. Hopefully their will be a "lessons learned" exercise to follow.

hey mate... this is the latest article on this topic

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/514699-explosion-in-al-quoz-in-dubai?ln=en

the authorities found out that the fireworks warehouse is an *illegal* warehouse!!!!! :shock:

how on earth such thing could operate in the first place!!!! where is the authorities..

its NOW not the question of implementing the proper codes and standards.... but controlling the operations of such *dangerous* firms...
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Mar 27, 2008
quatroporte wrote:
sage & onion wrote:I was in the area when the explosion occurred, the ensuing fire was incredible and unfortunately lives were lost. It also highlights the inadequacy of the Authorities in implementing the proper codes and standards. Hopefully their will be a "lessons learned" exercise to follow.

hey mate... this is the latest article on this topic

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/514699-explosion-in-al-quoz-in-dubai?ln=en

the authorities found out that the fireworks warehouse is an *illegal* warehouse!!!!! :shock:

how on earth such thing could operate in the first place!!!! where is the authorities..

its NOW not the question of implementing the proper codes and standards.... but controlling the operations of such *dangerous* firms...

I am well aware of the reason for the fire, implementing the proper codes and standards also includes controlling the storage of such items, as well as the proper means to control such fires.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 27, 2008
I thought storage/import of pyrotechnical goods was prohibited in this country ................
JMK
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 27, 2008
hehehe there are no bloody standards here and you will be suprised how things get into UAE. just go and see the smaller boats at the creek and you will be shocked with what you will find here.

i have heard lots of rumours especially terroists and nuclear weapons in the region. even the customs dont know whats coming into the country.

toys with lead in them, fake car parts, wrong construction material and wrong steel. you name it.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 27, 2008
rudeboy wrote:hehehe there are no bloody standards here and you will be suprised how things get into UAE. just go and see the smaller boats at the creek and you will be shocked with what you will find here.

i have heard lots of rumours especially terroists and nuclear weapons in the region. even the customs dont know whats coming into the country.

toys with lead in them, fake car parts, wrong construction material and wrong steel. you name it.

That includes human smuggling too....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat