Lack Of Public Toilets Raises A Stink In Dubai

Topic locked
Lack of public toilets raises a stink in Dubai Jan 11, 2009
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Lack of public toilets raises a stink in Dubai Jan 11, 2009

almost all of them are my friends :lol:

I saw a video that people are drinking urine of animals i-kid i-kid :pukeright: :brushteeth:
spirophonix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Lack of public toilets raises a stink in Dubai Jan 11, 2009
edited: double post!
spirophonix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009
From the GN article:

Reaction: New facilities in pipeline

Around 100 high-tech public toilets are to be built in Dubai by Dubai
Municipality in cooperation with Med K&K Advertising and Marketing
Company as part of a public private joint venture.

These air-conditioned toilets will have facilities like an automatic sensing system for flushing, sanitised liquid, tissue paper, hand driers and automatic doors.

The company will invest Dh50 million to build the toilets on a Build Operate Transfer (BOT) basis with a 10-year contract with the municipality. People will have to pay Dh2 to use the toilet, which will have automatic doors that will open once the coins are inserted. The existing free public toilets managed by the Dubai Municipality will continue to serve people.

However, major road and bridge construction projects might delay the building of these high-tech toilets."

It'll never happen! Using these figures, that $300,000 (500,000Dhs) per toilet? At 2Dhs per use? Thats a lot of money to a guy earning 25Dhs a day when it can be better spent on food or basic living. He will continue to use the 'free' facilities (wall, bush) and none of these units are being installed anywhere near the labour camps where they are needed.

MedK&K are an advertising company and this will be like the branding on the bus shelters for them. An opportunity to sell more ad space for expensive products the labourers could never afford.

This is an example of the poor planning and infrastructure endemic in the system. Bottom line is: DM and the owners of the labour camps simply don't want to spend any money looking after the largest majority here. They then expect a private company to fund a project that, at the end of the day, will remain unused and just be yet another advertising hoarding cluttering up the streets. But what the heck...someone will make money. and its tough sh1t for the guy in the labour camp!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 11, 2009
Why am I not surprised in the slightest by this attitude:

'Mizaffar, a Pakistani labourer, said he was not bothered about keeping the city clean. "I work at a construction site located nearby. If I want to relieve myself do you think I will go searching for a proper toilet or think of the environment? At times people give me angry looks - some even curse me, but I just don't care and go ahead."
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 11, 2009
just keep a plastic bottle with you all the time... nasty
spirophonix
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat