Inflation - What's The Rub?

Topic locked
Inflation - what's the rub? Aug 20, 2007
Spurred on by the milky topic below... I want to see what everyone think about inflation in the Emirates at the moment.

I believe the target inflation this year for the government was 5 or 6%, but it seems it is tracking at 9% - how does this affect you? (besides being pissed your breakfast went up by 50 fils).

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 20, 2007
My only concern is the price of housing !!

Its ridiculous !! :shock:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 20, 2007
Most of the grocery items have increased too and thus affect our budget. :(
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 20, 2007
Everything is more expensive now and even people that are paid really well have difficulties living in Dubai.

Its not only about accomodation, there are other things that affect everyone such as transportation and studies.
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 20, 2007
I never pay attention to food prices and stuff as I always see the prices as converted into my home/city currency and they seem to be cheaper here (in most cases).

However, where I live now there is a small store and all I ever buy there is ice. 1 bag = 2.50 but on Saturday 1 bag = 3.00 dhs :shock:

Now when a bag of ice goes up by 20% something is wrong!

Rent is ridicoulus (so much so I forgot how to spell the word).

If the goverment does not take steps to curb inflation (however that is done) they migh be in trouble...soon.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
Concord wrote:However, where I live now there is a small store and all I ever buy there is ice. 1 bag = 2.50 but on Saturday 1 bag = 3.00 dhs :shock:

Buying ice is ridicoulus.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:
Concord wrote:However, where I live now there is a small store and all I ever buy there is ice. 1 bag = 2.50 but on Saturday 1 bag = 3.00 dhs :shock:

Buying ice is ridicoulous.

But not ridiculous. My little ice tray cannot possibly accommodate "Fridays at Dr. D's"
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Buying ice is ridicoulous.

:lol:

I need it so I can take a shower. I put the bag over the pipe which is fcking hot!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
I know most of you aren’t doing this. But let me share this: Saving while beating the heat of the summer heat.

Let a pail of water sit overnight for your morning bath. Make sure the pail of water is enough for your bath. If it’s too cold, try mixing the cool water that you have saved with the hot water from the faucet.

Not stingy but economical, methinks.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 20, 2007
SCY wrote:I know most of you aren’t doing this. But let me share this: Saving while beating the heat of the summer heat.

Let a pail of water sit overnight for your morning bath. Make sure the pail of water is enough for your bath. If it’s too cold, try mixing the cool water that you have saved with the hot water from the faucet.

Not stingy but economical, methinks.

Can you lend me a bucket?
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
Now, that's stingy Ian! :D Go to carrefour and grab yourself a bucket.
SCY
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 20, 2007
Okay.... so yet me get this straight.......

I need to bring:

1. Marmite
2. Ice
3. Bucket
4. Russian girlfriends (Bleakus)!

please continue.................................
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 20, 2007
English Girlie wrote:Okay.... so yet me get this straight.......

I need to bring:

1. Marmite
2. Ice
3. Bucket
4. Russian girlfriends (Bleakus)!

please continue.................................

I think you are in the wrong forum. Games forum is a few steps down.

But no worries the Mod Squad will send you PM's, Smileys and Winks about it.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 20, 2007
Yep, this is a post to discuss inflation.

Pointless games, second forum on the left... the one run by Tropic23.
^ian^

Aug 20, 2007
1 = Inflation rate is high when 5 guyz send PM to one girl :=).

2 = Inflation rate is high when Sage and Arniegang writes number of posts :=)
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 20, 2007
The true inflation figure is probably much hiher than 9% Ian. If local government is calculating the index figure then you can bet they have not included things like % increases in housing etc.

I read a few months probably 6, that the estimated true figure is around 15% inflation
arniegang

Aug 21, 2007
i agree with Arnie, the published inflation rate of 9.8% is much lower than the realistic rate, I've heard people estimate all over the map but most commonly around 17%
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 21, 2007
I have no doubt that the real inflation rate is much higher, that's for sure.

'True Inflation' ironically is an adjusted measure, much like 'Real Unemployment' that economists use.
^ian^

Aug 21, 2007
Please forgive...... :oops:

I wasn't aware that the conversation was soooooo serious!

Ice is clearly a big thing to you guys!

Please for give my ignorance! :oops:
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

Sep 01, 2007
I tried avoiding this ...but it'snt helping the frustration that's creeping in. A 6 box tissue paper used to be 12 dirhams n now its 14. Mcvities chocolate digestives used to be 5.50 .. now its 6.50. The nearest chai shop fellow used to sell masala tea for 1 dirham 2 months back, its now 1.50 dirhams. A taxi ride to cactus jack used to be 12 ..its now 16.thanks to salik. Just some of the prices that come to my mind..The worst part, there are so many products sold with the price tags stuck on to them by the stores guys.. how can one veryfy the actual cost of it? are there any rules or even an MRP rule for any product here?.. unless u cross check the difference between two shops u'd continue buying from a shop that charges more just for the reason that its a bit near to your home(does it matter coz usually all shops are a phone call away) .
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 01, 2007
i dont care if something goes up a dirham. thats 15p to me, and that is nothing, everything here is cheaper here (except sodding tins of beans and soup!) so i pay no attention to prices.
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 01, 2007
dave101 wrote:i dont care if something goes up a dirham. thats 15p to me, and that is nothing, everything here is cheaper here (except sodding tins of beans and soup!) so i pay no attention to prices.

I cant agree thats the way to compare.. if I compare that way.. I'dnt dare to even eat or drink.. a litre of milk is 5 dirhams.. in India u'd get 2 litres n more for that.. a tea wouldnt cost anything more than 5 bucks in any normal shop in India.. but i buy for almost 20 bucks here :) a hair cut from a normal pinoy saloon costs 40 aed.. I can go to the best in town with that money back home.
I'm not comparing like that.. or yeah may b even 1 dirham increase on every stuff u buy daily (say atleast 15 things * 365 days = 5475 AED) wouldnt put a hole in yoa pocket...but the studio rent which climbed a cool 25% in an year is defenitely stuff worth ranting..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 01, 2007
ok then, carry on!

milk is cheaper here, hair cuts are cheaper here, for me anyway
dave101
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 01, 2007
St.Lucifer wrote:I tried avoiding this ...but it'snt helping the frustration that's creeping in. A 6 box tissue paper used to be 12 dirhams n now its 14. Mcvities chocolate digestives used to be 5.50 .. now its 6.50. The nearest chai shop fellow used to sell masala tea for 1 dirham 2 months back, its now 1.50 dirhams. A taxi ride to cactus jack used to be 12 ..its now 16.thanks to salik. Just some of the prices that come to my mind..The worst part, there are so many products sold with the price tags stuck on to them by the stores guys.. how can one veryfy the actual cost of it? are there any rules or even an MRP rule for any product here?.. unless u cross check the difference between two shops u'd continue buying from a shop that charges more just for the reason that its a bit near to your home(does it matter coz usually all shops are a phone call away) .

Why would anyone want a 6 pack of tissue paper?
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat