gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 09, 2008
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 09, 2008
I think youve opened a big window here.
:shock:

Do you reckon she took the veil off for mugshots after getting nicked?
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 09, 2008
hmmm...maybe if the picture was taken by a woman. I really wonder about her pictures on ID´s (p.e passport)...btw this raises another question...how do they do that in the UAE or the Gulf in general with women wearing a burqa or something similar? How does there passport photo look like?
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 10, 2008
I don't know why some people get upset at such rules. Perhaps in their culture they feel they must cover completely (as far as I know the Quran does not say that women must cover completely), but in Dutch and UK cultures it is not okay to obscure your face which hides your identity. A headscarf doesn't hide one's identity and therefore doesn't cause any problems. In France and Germany they made the headscarf rule for schools only, not for all public places. I personally think the school rule is stupid, but if they think it helps protect the children from taunting or abuse then I guess that is their decision. I think it is better to teach the children to accept differences and crack down on any kids taunting the Muslim girls. That would get to the root of the problem and still allow the girls to follow their religious obligations.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 10, 2008
Flying Dutchman wrote:hmmm...maybe if the picture was taken by a woman. I really wonder about her pictures on ID´s (p.e passport)...btw this raises another question...how do they do that in the UAE or the Gulf in general with women wearing a burqa or something similar? How does there passport photo look like?

Some years back GG women are photograph with the burqa yet after the 9/11 a law was passed that the face should be uncovered whether they like it or not.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 10, 2008
kanelli wrote:I don't know why some people get upset at such rules. Perhaps in their culture they feel they must cover completely (as far as I know the Quran does not say that women must cover completely), but in Dutch and UK cultures it is not okay to obscure your face which hides your identity. A headscarf doesn't hide one's identity and therefore doesn't cause any problems. In France and Germany they made the headscarf rule for schools only, not for all public places. I personally think the school rule is stupid, but if they think it helps protect the children from taunting or abuse then I guess that is their decision. I think it is better to teach the children to accept differences and crack down on any kids taunting the Muslim girls. That would get to the root of the problem and still allow the girls to follow their religious obligations.

Correct, Muslim women are not required to cover their faces. The total-covering ideology is from the same type of tribal people that thought up the no-women-drivers ideology.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat