Dubais (In(Justice) System

Topic locked
Dubais (In(Justice) System Mar 02, 2009
Oh dear.
Banning Israeli tennis players and some books is one thing, but if foriegners can't feel safe in a country and certainly can't expect to see proper justice dealt out to offenders of certain nationalities then it's bad news.
I know it's nothing new, but I guess this shows that imparities in the system still exist, potentially bad timing since the western world press is appears to be turning against Dubai

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Police_a ... 90717.html

CVB
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 02, 2009
It actually doesn't seem *that* bad. He's still going to prison for quite a long time. And it's true that it wasn't premeditated murder. He's a cold blooded bastard but that's probably already figured into the 7 year sentence. Then again, I also read (maybe just a rumor) that he proceeded to run over the woman's body after she was already lying on the ground after being hit the first time.

Personally, I would prefer if they would stop putting people away for years for vice-related crimes.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 02, 2009
What was worrying was the number ofpeople who felt he should be set free because "its his country"
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2009
Excuse me! But what exactly was not premeditated about his actions?! He deliberately ran her down, then reversed back over her on purpose - that is premeditated! 10 years was not long enough in the first place, let alone reducing it to seven! This scum bag should be run over himself or locked up for life!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 02, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:What was worrying was the number ofpeople who felt he should be set free because "its his country"

Yeah, I've had that before! got into a bit of an argument with a national, who was driving like a maniac....His response was you should not be on "my" road and either dissappear or "I'll call the police and tell them that you swore at me"

I was speechless for once.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Excuse me! But what exactly was not premeditated about his actions?! He deliberately ran her down, then reversed back over her on purpose - that is premeditated! 10 years was not long enough in the first place, let alone reducing it to seven! This scum bag should be run over himself or locked up for life!

That's not the definition of premeditated murder. Premeditated means that considerable thought and consideration went into planning and implementing it. Yes, he deliberately killed her but it was neither planned nor clearly thought out.

But now that I think about it, 7 years for murder does sound really short. Then again, "life imprisonment" in the UAE amounts to 25 years.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 02, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:What was worrying was the number ofpeople who felt he should be set free because "its his country"

Would have made for bad publicly for Dubai. Local local news can be kept under wraps. Who are they going to complain to? Whereas, expats get the news out.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Mar 02, 2009
smoggie wrote:

Yeah, I've had that before! got into a bit of an argument with a national, who was driving like a maniac....His response was you should not be on "my" road and either dissappear or "I'll call the police and tell them that you swore at me"

Well, he is right. He also has the right to take your money, or to abuse/assault you. Its his country !!! :lol:

Money can buy you flashy cars, but it cant buy you respect in the world's eyes.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
smoggie wrote:

Well, he is right. He also has the right to take your money, or to abuse/assault you. Its his country !!! :lol:

These kind of things really make me think when people say Dubai is safer than New York or London. Our civil liberties are on the line and our rights can be taken away just by getting accused of flipping the bird.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:
smoggie wrote:

These kind of things really make me think when people say Dubai is safer than New York or London. Our civil liberties are on the line and our rights can be taken away just by getting accused of flipping the bird.

Well this guy didn't have the bottle to do anything else except threaten me with lies....But that's also the norm....isn't it?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2009
Most western countries have terrorist laws allowing them to put people (easterners-Muslim- looking people) behind bars for long time without charging them. And then send them to the waiting party comity in their country.

I’m not agreeing with these morons (it’s my road or country types), but what goes around comes around, and in different shapes. It doesn’t seem so bad until it hits you, on the receiving end. The only thing you don’t get is where all the anger and resentment comes from.

Same in US after 9/11. “Hey, in these bad times we have to accept some of our freedoms to be cut”. Just, it wasn’t their freedom being cut, but the Middle Easterners in US. Then came Patriot act and mass wire-tapping and bugging against US citizens.

Remember OJ trial? It was payback time for the blacks.
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat