Dubai 2015-2020

Topic locked
Dubai 2015-2020 Feb 28, 2007
Just thought I'd share this thing I've been working on for a while. It's a 3D model of what dubai should look like in 10 to 15 years if all goes to plan. Of course it doesn't show anything since my PC would probably die trying to handle it all so I've focused on certain areas. In fact I started this off with the burj dubai are since I know tons of stuff will get built there (more than the marina in fact :)). One of the reasons was that when developers publish an artist's impression they show their new building surrounded by lush greenery when in fact it's boxed in on all sides by towers twice the height. Also there were no renders showing all the projects together so that's what I wanted to do.
In fact, considerable time has been wasted making this since I had to research heights, etc. to model each building. There are so many though, a lot unreleased as well so I've left them as boxes to act as placeholders to give an impression of scale. Eventually I added in some more projects along the creek and eventually palm jumeirah and the marina but I got bored so only only the burj dubai area is done in any detail.

Nuff blabbering, let's get to the pics 8)

A view over the new creek extension. Burj dubai on the left (I know they're keeping the height 'secret' but info from the contractors reveals 808m as the final figure), the tower in the middle is not very well known but a design exists and the one on the right is burj al alam at about 480m. In the distance is a new project called "the lagoons".

Showing the whole thing:

From above:

Skyline (best in the world by 2020???), see if you can spot the emirates towers :D

The "lagoons", including dubai towers (they were in the news a few months ago)

The DIFC district, you can see the big ben replica they plan to build on the left :lol: . The tower on the top left with the wind turbines is supposed to be the world's first zero carbon emmiting tower, ironic that it's being built in the UAE which has the worst energy consumption per capita (more than the US)

The last one:

2007:

2017?:

Thoughts and suggestions? :)

malec
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Feb 28, 2007
Very good work, Malec 8)

It looks great!!
Tropic23
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Feb 28, 2007
Wow! Excellent work... are you getting paid to do this or is it just a hobby?

If you're not getting paid... you should be.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Feb 28, 2007
That is lovely!!
Niice work!
Lithium222
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

nice Feb 28, 2007
Thats great, i geuss you must of put a lot of time and effort in to this. Thanks a lot for sharing it with everyone. Keep it going.
kay1730
Dubai Forums Talker

Feb 28, 2007
Good stuff Malek
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Feb 28, 2007
Good stuff. I hate to be a "wet blanket" but Google Earth already does that. Although, as of now not for Dubai as it is to be built but...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2007
Nice one Malec !!

Concs... go walk your dawg or something ! :P
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2007
KeithL wrote:Nice one Malec !!

Now that I think about it you were the guy who called me a "wet blanket" befor (or was it Nick81 - I told you I confuse the two of you). And remember I'm "a sensitive man" (quoting Freza).

BTW, do dawg to walk.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2007
Concord wrote:

Now that I think about it you were the guy who called me a "wet blanket" befor (or was it Nick81 - I told you I confuse the two of you). And remember I'm "a sensitive man" (quoting Freza).

BTW, do dawg to walk.

Wet blanket is not a derogatory term that you should be sensitive about.... grow up for heavens sake !
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2007
KeithL wrote:
Concord wrote:

BTW, do dawg to walk.

Wet blanket is not a derogatory term that you should be sensitive about.... grow up for heavens sake !

please don't let Freza see this she'll call me some pet name...

Sorry Malec its Keith's fault - great stuff keep it up. Did I mention googl....
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 28, 2007
... sorry about that Malec !

:oops:

Great pics ! :wink:
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Feb 28, 2007
wow amazing.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Feb 28, 2007
Great pics!!! Very impressive!
dubai girl
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 28, 2007
Concord wrote:Good stuff. I hate to be a "wet blanket" but Google Earth already does that. Although, as of now not for Dubai as it is to be built but...

Google Earth is good but not that good.

Few other developments coming online may change it a bit but not fundamentally. Surely the Palms will have sunk by then too!
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 28, 2007
Great pics 8) 8)
Galactico
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 28, 2007
Google earth is good but does it show the buildings in any other place apart from US cities? Also are they done in any considerable detail? As well I can get some seriously cool lighting effects.
Oh and btw, I do have a life outside this, just something I work on bit by bit every now and again for fun, started it about a year ago. :)

Some older pictures:

A nice aerial view (click for massive version):

Various more:

Image Image Image Image

Tallest buildings. There are more since I made this pic. Also sears tower is thrown in for comparrison :)

malec
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 01, 2007
Amazing work Malec!! I knew I saw your nickname somewhere, once I saw the renders and drawings I recalled where! SSC!!!!

Keep it up mate!
liverpool4ever
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 01, 2007
Very impressive - so that's what Dubai is going to look like in 10 years time??
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

Mar 02, 2007
the_zooter wrote:Very impressive - so that's what Dubai is going to look like in 10 years time??

Traffic not shown of course... 8)
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 02, 2007
scot1870 wrote:Surely the Palms will have sunk by then too!

No, the Palms have huge robotic poles underneath that will raise the whole development each year to compensate for global warming and melting ice caps.

Either that, or the developers convinced a few thousand foolish rich people that global warming is a myth.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 06, 2007
Look at what these crazy nutters want to build in the marina. The current tallest tower is the 3rd one from the left. This is a shared project btw, that tower and the beige one were made by someone else, I made the rest.

And of course traffic not shown :)

malec
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 06, 2007
Imagine the fun you can have with binoculars if you lived in one of those stupid towers.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 06, 2007
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P 8)
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 06, 2007
Just to tell you guys none of this is pie in the sky stuff, I went through various websites, spent quite a while finding renders, floor plans, etc. Also for the boxes (not yet done towers) the heights should be accurate to within 1m. As for traffic these towers are first of all extremely thin, and are all residential (which means way less people per square foot) so it's nowhere near like putting 10 nyc world trade centre towers together, even though some exceed them in height. What I'm worried about is that this combined with JBR traffic and the rest of the marina will result in an absolute nightmare for traffic even with the new interchange being built. Also I'm worried about fire safety with so many so close together (look what happened today).

In case you don't know I'll tell what all the important towers are:

1st on the left (the twisty one) is infinity tower, that's the one where the marina wall collapsed. It's still being built though and work has started again. Being built by a reliable developer so will almost certainly be built.
The massive one next door is ocean heights 2 by damac. "Damac" says it all, they can't even even get ocean heights 1 off the ground (also in there somewhere) so no chance of this one done any time soon.
The blue one and the one in front are princess tower and the torch. Within 2 months they will be above ground and rising 1 or more floors a week.
One on the very far right (pencil one) is 23 marina and is also set to rise, foundation now complete.
The gigantic one to the left of it is a new one called "pentominium". At 516m (bigger than the current world's tallest) it's insane but again seems like a good developer (trident).
malec
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 07, 2007
D = Don't
A = Anticipate
M = Making
A = A
C = Cent
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 07, 2007
Incredible work.. You sure can b in the 3d modelling business. btw what tools do u use?
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

May 07, 2007
Malec, this is awesome .. best of luck completing this .. you should set up a site and have people help you fill in all the towers that are not done yet.

btw, can we repost these on other sites ? do you have a site to credit it to ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 08, 2007
Yes go ahead and post it elsewhere if you want. Just mention it comes from www.skyscrapercity.com

BTW I've already gotten some of my images robbed. This is a scan from al bayan newspaper. Nobody told me about this :)
malec
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 09, 2007
That looks AMAZING, I'm gobsmacked......you should work for the Tourism board...lol
dubailover
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat