Dh50,000 Fine For Violators Of 'one Villa, One Family' Rule

Topic locked
Dh50,000 fine for violators of 'one villa, one family' rule Jul 22, 2009
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Housing_ ... 33635.html

In this age of recession, should I laugh or should I cry reading the above?

I dont understand why they focus so heavily on residents and housing. And why not road violations. I'd love to see a 50k fine on someone double parking.

michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 22, 2009
Remember last year when over 10 people (got to confirm the exact number) got burned to death in a crowded villa in Deira?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:Remember last year when over 10 people (got to confirm the exact number) got burned to death in a crowded villa in Deira?

So the problem is crowding; let there restrictions on having more than 10 people for 4 rooms or something.

Banning 2 families (which can be 6 individuals in 3 bedrooms) is just a way to induce indirect taxes (through the 50k fine)
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
Metaphor79 wrote:Remember last year when over 10 people (got to confirm the exact number) got burned to death in a crowded villa in Deira?

So the problem is crowding; let there restrictions on having more than 10 people for 4 rooms or something.

Banning 2 families (which can be 6 individuals in 3 bedrooms) is just a way to induce indirect taxes (through the 50k fine)

40% safety 60% revenues I would say.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 22, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:

If people were stopped from sharing villas and had to move into apartments maybe the rental of villas like mine would come down as much as apartments have....two sides to every story guys...... :roll:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:

If people were stopped from sharing villas and had to move into apartments maybe the rental of villas like mine would come down as much as apartments have....two sides to every story guys...... :roll:

True, but...
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 23, 2009
jhbsnoopy wrote:Obviously, this is another way of making money and helping real estate company..

This is the real reason ;)
RobbyG

Jul 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
jhbsnoopy wrote:Obviously, this is another way of making money and helping real estate company..

This has nothing to do with it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 23, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Of course not. Only behind the curtains :D
RobbyG

Jul 23, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Speedhump wrote:
BlackburnRovers wrote:

True, but...

But what...you think my money grows on trees?? :D :evil:

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
Speedhump wrote:

Why shouldnt natural market forces decide what prices are for apartments and for villas, why should villa prices be artificially brought down so that you and me can afford them more easily ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 23, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

yea sure :D

If safety was the main concern then the ban would be on criteria like people/rooms, and not 1 family , 1 villa.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 23, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

Why shouldnt natural market forces decide what prices are for apartments and for villas, why should villa prices be artificially brought down so that you and me can afford them more easily ?

You're making your own decisions as to what you consider artificial and what you don't.

It's basic sense for safety and hygene to put some limit on the use of villas (and apartments for that matter).

Problems with several families sharing villas (example in Rashidya) have been reported in the press, sanitation was just one.

Also a Muslim country will be more comfortable with 'one villa for one family' mores.

Therefore when this restriction is imposed it should be enforced. That's not artificial market manilpulation, it's a country enforcing its laws for correct reasons.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
how many families you are suggesting to live in one villa ? I mean are there more than one family living in one now ? that would be kind of weird ,don’t you think ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 23, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
It's basic sense for safety and hygene to put some limit on the use of villas (and apartments for that matter).

Also a Muslim country will be more comfortable with 'one villa for one family' mores.

Agree with point 1, so impose restrictions of no. of people in 1 villa, like 4 in 2 bedrooms or whatever, 1 villa in 1 family, regardless of size doesnt make sense so 1 family of 3 members is ok for a 6 bedroom villa?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 23, 2009
uaekid wrote:how many families you are suggesting to live in one villa ? I mean are there more than one family living in one now ? that would be kind of weird ,don’t you think ?

Yes there are more than one family living in many villas. Filipina/Indan/Pakistani families have all been reported in the press. It's the ony way they could afford to live in UAE. The Police are catching up wth them slowly, cutting off their water, electricity etc, (very inhumane actions actually), don't you read the newspapers?

I told you that it would sound strange to a Muslim! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
Speedhump wrote:

Agree with point 1, so impose restrictions of no. of people in 1 villa, like 4 in 2 bedrooms or whatever, 1 villa in 1 family, regardless of size doesnt make sense so 1 family of 3 members is ok for a 6 bedroom villa?

Sounds reasonable, but I still have in my head the idea that the UAE would never be happy with different families sharing the same private accomodation due to their own ideas of what is proper. Maybe I'm wrong, UAEkid is reading this thread, maybe he can make some comment?

:)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
its because of social problems involved in sharing villas.

and its a way of making money as well. but they wont make money if they dont catch any ppl. and thats only possible if ppl abide with the laws. then when the muncipality sends so many inspectors around dubai and they do the maths, they figure out hey these inspectors are not brining any money so we will just 4get about it for a while.

so just move out of a villa if you are sharing.

also I think its because Dubai wants to make its city have ppl with the best qualities i.e only the rich live in dubai. thats why u have other states like ajman heheh, sharjah and RAK.

yes there are indirect taxes but these indirect taxes are doing alot to make sure that we are safe, we get electricity, we get to drive on good roads, hospitals are up and running and parks are green and the grass gets its water at night :D.

I guess none of you have played SIM City 3000 then ;)
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
rudeboy wrote:its because of social problems involved in sharing villas.

and its a way of making money as well. but they wont make money if they dont catch any ppl. and thats only possible if ppl abide with the laws. then when the muncipality sends so many inspectors around dubai and they do the maths, they figure out hey these inspectors are not brining any money so we will just 4get about it for a while.

also I think its because Dubai wants to make its city have ppl with the best qualities i.e only the rich live in dubai. thats why u have other states like ajman heheh, sharjah and RAK.

yes there are indirect taxes but these indirect taxes are doing alot to make sure that we are safe, we get electricity, we get to drive on good roads, hospitals are up and running and parks are green and the grass gets its water at night :D.

Don't get carried away. When you pay taxes you should get free medical care, free education for your children and unemployment benefits. Here you pay indirect taxes and once unemployed you get deported or thrown in jail for not repaying your credit card or personal loan.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 23, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
uaekid wrote:how many families you are suggesting to live in one villa ? I mean are there more than one family living in one now ? that would be kind of weird ,don’t you think ?

Yes there are more than one family living in many villas. Filipina/Indan/Pakistani families have all been reported in the press. It's the ony way they could afford to live in UAE. The Police are catching up wth them slowly, cutting off their water, electricity etc, (very inhumane actions actually), don't you read the newspapers?

I told you that it would sound strange to a Muslim! :D

LOL no I'm not looking at it from a religious view but how could you live with another family anyway ? how can I allow my date to scream on bed (like I'm that good LOL ) or what if I want to use the living room or their naughty kids playing tricks on me or the other family wants the house to them selves ? and why would a low income family live in a villa ? I thought many flats are available in Dubai, no?

about the electric and water getting cut off I thought that was for an old area that had old locals housing being rented to expats and the municipality passed out warning to all of them but they refused to leave and the hall area needs to be demolished for some town planning ,but If I'm wrong then yes it is a very inhumane actions .
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 23, 2009
the people who are having a hard time will sure face more difficulties now. i say let them be unless there is illegal activities in the villas...
xero_
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 23, 2009
It has been going on and the Municipality have been making half hearted attempts to stop it for some time, quoting fire hazards and also health danger from asbestos partitions being erected inside the villas as two major reasons. It's also to remove groups of batchelors from housing areas which are designated by the Municipality as 'family housing'. Quite reasonable:

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/one-villa-one-family.php

The short version of the "One Villa, One Family" campaign by the Dubai Municipality (DM) is that the DM during 2008 handed out eviction notices (sometimes) where more than one family was sharing a villa in Dubai, or unrelated people were sharing villas. If tenants didn't leave, the power and water was disconnected, and the tenants or landlord fined 50,000 dhs, or 100,000 dhs if it was a repeat offence. In early 2009 there appeared to be a revision of that policy with the DM saying that more than one family could share a villa if they applied for a villa sharing licence, but unrelated singles could not share villas. However, reports in May 2009 indicated that was either not correct, or had been changed again to a one family per villa rule.

etc.....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 23, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:
rudeboy wrote:its because of social problems involved in sharing villas.

Don't get carried away. When you pay taxes you should get free medical care, free education for your children and unemployment benefits. Here you pay indirect taxes and once unemployed you get deported or thrown in jail for not repaying your credit card or personal loan.

like i said they probably want dubai to be the place for the rich ppl only. they probably want to increase the quality of life and that the image of dubai should be that its for the rich only.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 24, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote: When you pay taxes you should get free medical care, free education for your children and unemployment benefits. Here you pay indirect taxes and once unemployed you get deported or thrown in jail for not repaying your credit card or personal loan.

Depends on a persons background. If he comes from a struggling background, he will think, wow, Dubai is so kind to me, giving me cheap electricity. There are people that demand more, and wont consider electricity and roads as the best thing since sliced bread.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 24, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote: When you pay taxes you should get free medical care, free education for your children and unemployment benefits.

So not the USA then! :)

No-one can say what you should and shouldn't get for your money. It varies from country to country.

Most developed countries I believe have direct AND indirect taxation (including the UK) , so we really shouldnt be moaning......

By the way, when VAT is introduced here it's supposed to replace customs duty, so what's the betting that alcohol will attract a 50 pct VAT rate? :roll:

Same old same old.....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 24, 2009
I don't understand why there is a 1 family 1 villa rule but the same doesn't follow for apartments. If the law is about safety, hygiene, and preventing overcrowding etc., then the same rule should apply to both types of accommodations. If the rule is about moral, economic or prejudicial reasons then that is another matter... :)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jul 24, 2009
Notice how Gulf News does not allow feedback on articles like that lol..
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 24, 2009
Yep I see that :(
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 24, 2009
kanelli wrote:I don't understand why there is a 1 family 1 villa rule but the same doesn't follow for apartments. If the law is about safety, hygiene, and preventing overcrowding etc., then the same rule should apply to both types of accommodations. If the rule is about moral, economic or prejudicial reasons then that is another matter... :)

What I notice from the real estate reports is that villa prices are stabilizing faster than other residential area's, while villa's had a bigger drop at first. So I think that groups of people make use of the lower villa pricings and improve their living status like this, while detiorating the 'riches' environment so to say.

Just imagine this: A street with ferrari's and Porsche's with a house with 5 Filipino families in 5-7 bedrooms and a 20 year old Toyota van in front of the door... perhaps even 5 of them...

Can't blame them for trying, but the 'rich' fellow who sees this happening in the villa next door is not happy. Bye bye investment...or standard of living.

So the 'one family, one villa' rule is a good thing. Only if they explained the term a bit more clearly...and consistently; http://dubaithoughts.blogspot.com/
RobbyG

Jul 26, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
kanelli wrote:I don't understand why there is a 1 family 1 villa rule but the same doesn't follow for apartments. If the law is about safety, hygiene, and preventing overcrowding etc., then the same rule should apply to both types of accommodations. If the rule is about moral, economic or prejudicial reasons then that is another matter... :)

What I notice from the real estate reports is that villa prices are stabilizing faster than other residential area's, while villa's had a bigger drop at first. So I think that groups of people make use of the lower villa pricings and improve their living status like this, while detiorating the 'riches' environment so to say.

Just imagine this: A street with ferrari's and Porsche's with a house with 5 Filipino families in 5-7 bedrooms and a 20 year old Toyota van in front of the door... perhaps even 5 of them...

Can't blame them for trying, but the 'rich' fellow who sees this happening in the villa next door is not happy. Bye bye investment...or standard of living.

So the 'one family, one villa' rule is a good thing. Only if they explained the term a bit more clearly...and consistently; http://dubaithoughts.blogspot.com/

So a big and expensive van should only be for rich people and big homes should also only be for rich people?
Stylinexpat
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat