Dear Moderators

Topic locked
Dear Moderators Jan 11, 2010
Where is the Sheikh Eisa thread I started last night? If it was removed, please explain why.

Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Dear Moderators Jan 11, 2010
It is in Fight club.what did u write in that thread? It's blocked in Iran, I can not open it.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Dr Strangeglove wrote:Where is the Sheikh Eisa thread I started last night? If it was removed, please explain why.

thank viking-warrior for it being in the fight club .
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

I wrote this:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/crime ... e-1.566093

Dear Fellow Board Members

I write this laying with my head propped against a soft fluffy pillow in the emergency ward of Rashid hospital. What sorry circumstances led me here? I so knew you'd ask. You're predictable like that :wink:

It was sometime after supper, I was reclining on the chaise lounge in my favourite jammies and Mrs Strangeglove had just fetched my usual port and brandy mixed with horse tranquiliser to get me off to sleep. By chance, I happened to peer at mumsies bifocal laptop and noticed that Gulf News (motto: always trusty, never suspect) had posted the story as seen above.

It was upon reading the section of the report that mentions how Sheikh Eisa's two accomplices were both jailed for 5 years each (for spiking the drink that turned our beloved hero Sheikh Eisa from adorable cat lover into homocidal maniac) that I accidentally laughed so hard, my sides split and I was immediately rendered to emergency care.

So laying prostrate as I am, I say this: We are a gaggle of simple minded fools. How could we not see that far from being the offender, the perennially super Sheikh Eisa is a victim of a nefarious (and some would say, convenient) conspiracy. I'm just bloody glad that the guilty parties have been rightfully punished, so we can all sleep safely tonight.

Don't feel too sorry for me though chums, for not only will I be able to sleep soundly knowing that in one small corner of the world, Justice is not blind (merely egregious), but also, nursey has promised me an extra long bed bath for the princely sum of 18 dirhams. God bless the global economic crisis. Toodlepip.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Dr Strangeglove wrote:Where is the Sheikh Eisa thread I started last night? If it was removed, please explain why.

Try something funny: If you want a thread removed just post a link in it on Sheikh Issa torture case, a case about some disturbing truth on the rulers, a link on Herve's book, or anything considered toxic to the UAE.
capsicum
BANNED

capsicum wrote:

Try something funny: If you want a thread removed just post a link in it on Sheikh Issa torture case, a case about some disturbing truth on the rulers, a link on Herve's book, or anything considered toxic to the UAE.

the only reason they are removed bcz most of you does not know how to behave and use harsh language, not bcz of the thread content. so if you wana keep it in the general forum just have some manners while talking to others which I hardly think you have the know how of it LOL.but give it a shot, its not hard.
uaekid

Our friction-loving friend is absolutely correct, keep this thread free of overt insults and it might just survive.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

They should, I mean all the interesting threads are removed the same or the next day. man up ppl and use the PM if you must be "your self"
uaekid

Abusive language
by Andyba » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:09 pm

Due to the fact that this is an open forum please abstain from using abusive language.
You are free to use any language you wish in Fight Club forum.

If you care to check this is what is written by the Forum Administrator regarding Abusive Language, it is very clear I believe.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I disagree, "abusive language" is by definition totally dependent upon the readers subjective sensitivities. For instance, I could call uaekid "an amoeba-brained muppet" and he might be no more offended by that than if someone called him a "silly bunny". If he doesn't feel abused, is it still abusive language?
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Dr Strangeglove wrote:I disagree, "abusive language" is by definition totally dependent upon the readers subjective sensitivities. For instance, I could call uaekid "an amoeba-brained muppet" and he might be no more offended by that than if someone called him a "silly bunny". If he doesn't feel abused, is it still abusive language?

You are free to disagree however the forum is being moderated as the Forum Administrator and the various appointed Moderators see it.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dr Strangeglove wrote:I disagree, "abusive language" is by definition totally dependent upon the readers subjective sensitivities. For instance, I could call uaekid "an amoeba-brained muppet" and he might be no more offended by that than if someone called him a "silly bunny". If he doesn't feel abused, is it still abusive language?

just to let you know strangeglove, I did pay your mo* what I owe her for .....you know, so why are you taking it so personal :P
uaekid

Sage is correct. If people cant express themselves without resorting to using bad language of any form then they are not in a position to complain when a thread gets moved.

I would very much doubt the majority who post on here conduct themselves in their personal life or in their jobs by using such lamguage so why use it here.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Dear Moderators Jan 12, 2010
arniegang wrote:Sage is correct. If people cant express themselves without resorting to using bad language of any form then they are not in a position to complain when a thread gets moved.

I would very much doubt the majority who post on here conduct themselves in their personal life or in their jobs by using such lamguage so why use it here.

Amen Bro.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Dear Moderators Jan 13, 2010
arniegang wrote:Sage is correct. If people cant express themselves without resorting to using bad language of any form then they are not in a position to complain when a thread gets moved.

Are you being deliberately stupid?

Of course people are going to use abusive language online. It's precisely because of the anonimity the web provides, that people do it. that you fail to comprehend that (as a board mod) is very concerning.

However, the main issue here is not the use of abusive language, but getting access to this mysterious Fight Club forum. Let's face it, it's only the interesting, thought provoking (potentially Dubai bashing) threads that are being moved there.

As many of us have mentioned before, we have requested numerous times from both those mods who are able to provide access, and still nothing has happened. My first request for access to fight club was in October 2009. As mods, should it not be your responsibility to track down the people we need for this?

Or does your mandate stop at using your own subjective, over-sensivitive and morally ambiguous values to CENSOR what regular board members can see?
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

Makes you wonder what the mods actually do on here apart from censor perfectly good threads
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

I can't see what's the crying is all about, trust me, there is nothing to see there and you will hardly get a reply. and why is it so hard for you guys ! they are not asking to behave bcz they know you wont knowing where you come form LOL but they are asking you not to use those harsh words. you know those words wont make you more of a man nor prove what ever point you are trying to enforce. I really can't see why don't you go along with the rules. but hey that's you.
uaekid

uaekid wrote:I can't see what's the crying is all about, trust me, there is nothing to see there and you will hardly get a reply. and why is it so hard for you guys ! they are not asking to behave bcz they know you wont knowing where you come form LOL but they are asking you not to use those harsh words. you know those words wont make you more of a man nor prove what ever point you are trying to enforce. I really can't see why don't you go along with the rules. but hey that's you.

Just for the record, my ployglotted friend, I have NEVER once used a word that could be described as a swear word. I may have insulted people, but I always try to use my imagination when going about it.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

I wonder if language is the problem and that people can't tell the difference between 'constructive criticism' and 'ranting'.

In one of my posts I clearly said 'its up to a country to set its own rules, stick to them and make them transparent' melika agreed and berrin interpreted it completly different and took it as I was being nasty about islam.

p.s Please add me to fight club, pm's not working. Kinda weird - deleting threads is easy but getting fight club access seems impossible.
Roadtester
Dubai forums Addict

I have sent a request to the Forum Administrator, you are requested to have a little patience.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dr Strangeglove wrote:

Are you being deliberately stupid?

Of course people are going to use abusive language online. It's precisely because of the anonimity the web provides, that people do it. that you fail to comprehend that (as a board mod) is very concerning.

However, the main issue here is not the use of abusive language, but getting access to this mysterious Fight Club forum. Let's face it, it's only the interesting, thought provoking (potentially Dubai bashing) threads that are being moved there.

As many of us have mentioned before, we have requested numerous times from both those mods who are able to provide access, and still nothing has happened. My first request for access to fight club was in October 2009. As mods, should it not be your responsibility to track down the people we need for this?

Or does your mandate stop at using your own subjective, over-sensivitive and morally ambiguous values to CENSOR what regular board members can see?

Without having to resort to name calling ie Stupid which i really dont appreciate i will attempt to correct your misconceptions Dr.

1/ I am not stupid

2/ Yes people resort to using bad or abusive language on the net and here. However they can do whatever they like on the "net", but they will not, and i repeat will not do it here in DF. We (the Mods) are tired of telling everyone this, but the same people continue to do this. In light of this we (the mods), will tranfer any thread that in our opinion contains bad, abusive, and foul language.

3/ We will also transfer to FC any thread that contains posts, which are IN OUR (the Mods) OPINION contain remarks that may cause offense to either, a particular poster or may possibly offend the general public who access this PUBLIC forum.

4/ We (the Mods) have no access to either ammend, censor or transfer any posts in FC.

5/ We (the Mods) do not have Admin access or power. We (the Mods) cannot and have not the means to grant anyone access to FC. This has too/can only be done by the site owner ie "Andyba" and his No2 "smartd".

6/ No, it is not the responsibility of the Mods to track down Admin on your behalf. We can only PM them, the same as you. If they dont reply, then this has no reflection on the moderation of DF.

Dr, if in future you wish to address us (the Mods) or have issues with Moderation in general, it would be very much appreciated if you would do so respectfully. I personally, find your tone offensive. I also find the way you bully others (yes you know who i mean) offensive.

I hope this clarifies things for you and indeed everyone else.
arniegang

Re: Dear Moderators Jan 14, 2010
Arnie: We know the rules and what is required to get into fight club.
A few of us are simply wondering why when we initiate or contribute to a thread, when it is pulled on a whim, we no longer have access to it.
It is very frustrating because, let's face it, a lot of threads are moved.
A few of us have fulfilled the criteria and cannot get replies.
Do you think it might be a good thing for this forum if you and the other mods are aligned and request powers from the owner to grant access????

Seems like the logical way to go because this situation is silly. The attention has now shifted to you being offended.
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

What a bunch of silly comments from so-called "mods" and I did not know one mod spoke for all modes but I guess that is the case...talk about bullying.

anyway, I've noticed that the only topics that get more than one page of posts are those related to complaints about the mods or the movement of threads. I recently expressed my opinion about the over sensitity and subjective "morality" as to what is or is not offensice. all for nothing. but hey, I have a real job!

In my view a forum ought to reflect all opinions including offensive ones as one can learn about others as opposed to pretenting to be someone on a forum (no swear words, "respectful" etc) which may or may not be a front for how they are in real life.

Arnie your opinion is that the posters here likely do not swear or are disrecpectful in their real life. Likewise that a person is "nice" or "respectful" here does not mean they are so in real life. IT IS JUST A FORUM FOR CHRISSAKE!
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

XPT :
I don't know how you got raised or by whom but it isn't hard to express your opinion without hurting others and its for sure a wrong. Now if you wana insist in the wrong doing then this will make you behave like your" avatar" ! you will need lots of training before you are allowed to walk ,set , play dead or post such offensive language in this matter LOL
uaekid

uaekid wrote:XPT :
I don't know how you got raised or by whom but it isn't hard to express your opinion without hurting others and its for sure a wrong. Now if you wana insist in the wrong doing then this will make you behave like your" avatar" ! you will need lots of training before you are allowed to walk ,set , play dead or post such offensive language in this matter LOL

i don't know what you are talking about but do tell me what in my post is "hurting others"? And no worries I'm house trained.
XPT
Dubai forums Addict

arniegang wrote:

Without having to resort to name calling ie Stupid which i really dont appreciate i will attempt to correct your misconceptions Dr.

1/ I am not stupid

2/ Yes people resort to using bad or abusive language on the net and here. However they can do whatever they like on the "net", but they will not, and i repeat will not do it here in DF. We (the Mods) are tired of telling everyone this, but the same people continue to do this. In light of this we (the mods), will tranfer any thread that in our opinion contains bad, abusive, and foul language.

3/ We will also transfer to FC any thread that contains posts, which are IN OUR (the Mods) OPINION contain remarks that may cause offense to either, a particular poster or may possibly offend the general public who access this PUBLIC forum.

4/ We (the Mods) have no access to either ammend, censor or transfer any posts in FC.

5/ We (the Mods) do not have Admin access or power. We (the Mods) cannot and have not the means to grant anyone access to FC. This has too/can only be done by the site owner ie "Andyba" and his No2 "smartd".

6/ No, it is not the responsibility of the Mods to track down Admin on your behalf. We can only PM them, the same as you. If they dont reply, then this has no reflection on the moderation of DF.

Dr, if in future you wish to address us (the Mods) or have issues with Moderation in general, it would be very much appreciated if you would do so respectfully. I personally, find your tone offensive. I also find the way you bully others (yes you know who i mean) offensive.

I hope this clarifies things for you and indeed everyone else.

Rarely have I read a more disingenous post on this forum, and that's saying something. I shall reply to each point as you took the time to answer me, which I appreciate:

1. If I'd actually called you stupid, you would have a right to be offended, as I merely enquired if you are, I respectfully request that you stop behaving like you have the sensibilities of a victorian housewife. If you want to naively suggest that internet behaviour in anyway resembles real life, you need a reality check. I continue to be concerned that someone in your position has such trouble understanding the difference. I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just how it is.

2. "bad" language?! So are you telling me I can't use split infinitives or double negatives? You're the grammar police now?

I don't know, I guess it must be the times I visit this site, but I can only remember seeing truly offensive language on a small number of occasions. In those instances, I too would agree that the threads should be removed. However, the MAJORITY of threads that have been moved in the last month or so have pretty much exclusively related to those threads with contentious comments towards censorship in Dubai, press coverage of Dubai or media freedom in Dubai (oh and the flagrant corruption within the UAE's legal system). So it seems to me, and quite a few others on this board, that you're using "offensive language" as merely the excuse to have these threads moved.

Of course, if I had access to fight club (having sent four PMs, to three people,and two personal emails) I might be able to see whether the decision to move them was justified or not. But it seems barely any of us do. Handy that, huh.

3. "may possibly offend the general public who access this PUBLIC forum" Seriously? Are you deliberately trying to make this the most dumbed down, boring forum on the web? Are you aware of how easily the "general public" is offended? What you're suggesting is either impossible, or a carte-blanche excuse for you to censor whatever the hell you like. If it's the latter, we'd all have a lot more respect for you if you were just honest about it from the start. If you actually said "we'll censor what we feel like censoring" we could at least either accept if or go somewhere else for our debates.

4. Didn't point 3 start with "We will also transfer to FC any thread"? You're either completely contradicting yourself, or you're saying only the admins can transfer threads? If so, they must be accessing the site regularly and you'd have thought that they'd be answering their PMs. It's funny how you like to reference your opposition to offensive language. I would suggest that ignoring a PM from a site user is pretty offensive too, if it's done deliberately, but that's just me, I'm funny about responding to people who genunely request my help (no uaekid, I'm STILL not going to tell you where babies come from).

5. Fine, thanks for the clarification, understood. You should understand site users frustration when all the interesting threads are moved somewhere they can't access. Sounding like a petulant child when responding is also frustrating to site users. Isn't it the site's users who make the site what it is? Who make it worth visiting? I would suspect you'd have a lovely friction free forum without us.

6. This is where we disagree. It is ABSOLUTELY a reflection on the moderation of DF. There are enough people making noise about this to suggest that the mods (who presumably must have some kind of contact method with the ever-allusive Andyba or the not so Smartd) to at least try and update us given that in the 4 months I've been requesting access, nothing has happened, at all. You can say "not in my job description" all you like, see where that gets you. More annoying post about FC I suspect.

And so, to the part of your message that actually made me laugh on a day where I saw England 4 wickets fall for peanuts. Bullying? After the email you just wrote, you're going to accuse me of bullying? I may be an ignorant, opinionated bore, but the one thing I ain't, is a bully. If I have a pop at uaekid once in a while, it's because I get tired of his constant need to cause friction where it is not necessarily required. Although I do appreciate his overall contribution to the forum.

Lastly, respect has to be earnt or it is worth nothing.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

A very boring read Ian. In summary if you have issues here please feel free to bore people elsewhere

Thread Locked
arniegang

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat