One Arrested In Deira Building Crash

Topic locked
One arrested in Deira building crash Aug 17, 2009
Dubai: One person has been taken into custody after part of a six-storey building collapsed in Deira yesterday, officials said.

No one was injured in the incident, Yousuf Foulath, Chief Prosecutor, Deira Public Prosecution, told Gulf News. This was confirmed by Khalil Al Mansouri, Head of the Criminal Investigation Department, Dubai Police.

The building near the Ramada Continental Hotel in Abu Hail was in its final stages of completion, Foulath said there were 23 workers and an engineer in the building when they heard strange noises from the three-storey basement. The men grew suspicious and ran out of the building. They informed the police, who reached the site immediately. "After about 35 minutes a few chunks from the building started crumbling," Foulath said.

The Public Prosecution has started investigations into the collapse.

The incident occurred around 3.30pm when half the portion of the building gave way. "It was around 3.30pm when I saw the building collapse. I've never seen anything like this. There was glass everywhere. It seemed like half the building just fell to the floor," recounted Shahid Bashir Ahmad, a Gulf News reader.

"I don't know how it happened - it happened really fast. I was standing at a traffic signal nearby and within a few minutes, police cars and ambulance vehicles sped to the location," he added.

Construction workers were present, working at the nearby bridge. No one could believe it.

"I was walking near the Ramada Hotel when I saw the building collapse. It was a glass building and half of it was on the ground within minutes. Shattered glass was everywhere. Some of the debris fell on other buildings nearby too. It was so out of the blue! At least 15 police vehicles came to the area and stopped traffic from all directions. People got out of their homes and cars and were clicking pictures," said Waqas, another reader.

Traffic came to a standstill for a few hours as police put up roadblocks as a safety precaution. Gulf News counted at least seven vehicles parked near the building damaged, but no official statistics were available.

One of the contractors has been arrested, according to Brigadier Anas Al Matroushi, Deputy Head of Operations for Rescue and Transportation Affairs at Dubai Police.

Eisa Al Maidour, Assistant Director General at the Planning and Engineering Department at Dubai Municipality, told Gulf News that a technical committee has been formed to investigate the cause of the collapse. "Preliminary findings have revealed that there was a fault in the structure, which put extra pressure on one half of the building. The structure was made of steel and hence it took a long time to collapse. This gave workers time to leave the site safely," he said.

Sniffer dogs were deployed to ensure no one was trapped in the debris.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/General/10340812.html

redtilldead
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 17, 2009
In such construction incident , whom do you really blame? the construction company or the consultant ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 17, 2009
I would blame the municipality. As far as I know, every step of the construction process has to be supervised and approved by the DM, right?
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 17, 2009
Metaphor79 wrote:I would blame the municipality. As far as I know, every step of the construction process has to be supervised and approved by the DM, right?

DM does testing of the cement and the steel bars. but even then the suppliers get away with suppling cheap and wrong material. dont know how they do it but they do it :D DM does send inspectors around for checking the building.

so in this case. it could be anything from cheap material to a safety issue which the contracting company wasnt following. in short, ppl go for short cuts to save money and to save time but they dont know that these things could have a huge affect.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2009
Wow. Glad no one was in it. They would have to look at several things. Design, architect, materials and if it was constructed according to plan.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 28, 2009
No, they don't look at architects. Architects have nothing to do with structural design.
ahzao
Dubai Forum Visitor

Aug 28, 2009
ahzao wrote:No, they don't look at architects. Architects have nothing to do with structural design.

This is not strictly true, generally the Architects whilst not actually doing the actual structural design lead the overall process.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 28, 2009
uaekid wrote:In such construction incident , whom do you really blame? the construction company or the consultant ?

There are lots of people to be blamed including officials from the government department.
rongson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2009
rongson wrote:
uaekid wrote:In such construction incident , whom do you really blame? the construction company or the consultant ?

There are lots of people to be blamed including officials from the government department.

if it's a gov thing then many of dubai bulidings will have the same problems !
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 29, 2009
uaekid wrote:
rongson wrote:

if it's a gov thing then many of dubai bulidings will have the same problems !

and that's just a speculation of me (and sorry for my negligence of word using, it should be "maybe some gov officials to be blamed"). and also we could not say that since there is no problem with other construction sites, government departments have no responsibilities. and what do you think of that?
rongson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2009
The responsibility of such an incident lies with the Consultant and the Contractor, the Government Department (Dubai Municipality) has no direct responsibility other than to verify that the Companies involved have the correct documentation (License) to carry out the works.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 29, 2009
sage & onion wrote:The responsibility of such an incident lies with the Consultant and the Contractor, the Government Department (Dubai Municipality) has no direct responsibility other than to verify that the Companies involved have the correct documentation (License) to carry out the works.

to some extent the collapse of that building has some positive perpectives. government officials will probably start an overall verification over most contracting companies and pay enough attention to on-site checkings of construction sites. but the premise is there is no one injured in that accident.
rongson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2009
rongson wrote:
sage & onion wrote:The responsibility of such an incident lies with the Consultant and the Contractor, the Government Department (Dubai Municipality) has no direct responsibility other than to verify that the Companies involved have the correct documentation (License) to carry out the works.

to some extent the collapse of that building has some positive perpectives. government officials will probably start an overall verification over most contracting companies and pay enough attention to on-site checkings of construction sites. but the premise is there is no one injured in that accident.

Whilst you may be correct in what you say, it is very difficult to control the use of cheap non specified / approved materials, this is where vigilance has to be shown by the Consultant.
Agreed that we should be thankful that nobody was injured.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 29, 2009
That's scary and simply horrific - Good to hear that no one was injured.
mehreen
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat