Chinese DVD Subtitles

Topic locked
chinese DVD subtitles May 25, 2006
**Legal disclaimer: I in no shape or form partake in any illegal pirating activities :D **

phew.. now that we're done, don't you guys love the subtitles in some of these dvd's. sometimes they have absolutely NO relation to what's being said on screen, but are hilarious. I actually get more fun outta them than most of the crappy movies nowadays.

terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2006
I would find it hilarious if I read Chinese...

Oh, I do not take part in the purchase of illegal DVDs either. Its just so unethical... :roll:

:lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2006
Liban wrote:I would find it hilarious if I read Chinese...

Oh, I do not take part in the purchase of illegal DVDs either. Its just so unethical... :roll:

:lol:

You bloody Creep Liban. You know Chocs will read this. Ohhh bud, can i borrow the Da Vinci code plz.

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 25, 2006
not the chinese subtitles. the english ones!!

some of them are so annoying you can't even turn the subtittles off.

anyways, here's a really funny blog i found about this whole thing

http://www.sinosplice.com/life/archives ... surrealism

A: How did you end up writing obituaries?
汉A: What kinds of things do you like?

D: Well, I had dreams of being a writer…
汉D: I like drinking beer.

D: But I had no voice — what am I saying??
汉D: But I don’t drink often. Also…

D: …I had no talent. So I ended up in obituaries, which is…
汉D: I love singing. I can sing many songs.

D: …the Siberia of journalism.
汉D: …including German folk songs.

muhahahhahhaah :lol: i'm so bored at work today
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2006
arniegang wrote:
You bloody Creep Liban. You know Chocs will read this. Ohhh bud, can i borrow the Da Vinci code plz.

I'm counting on Choco reading things... :twisted:

But I never said I partake in piracy... I said its *cough* unethical and *cough cough* immoral to engage in this *chuckle* deviant industry... :lol:
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2006
I too find them very annoying on those pirate DVD's.
Oh, erm, not that I have ever watched pirate DVD's, or ever illegally downloaded music from the internet or sold them to my friends - honest Chocs
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2006
is chocs our resident moral police? :(
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2006
Terranova Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lets just say she has standards.

I would like to put on record that i never buy or copy old DVD's and certainly nothing older than those just released on DVD or prior to its release in the cinema.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

May 25, 2006
the funniest subtitles are when its for the wrong movie...i was watching memoirs of a geisha and the subtitles were for the matrix...so here's how it went...

mamasan "i think she will suit us"

subtitle from matrix "do you want the red pill or the blue?"

mamasan "take her inside"

subtitle from matrix "she's going down"

constantine
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 25, 2006
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

May 25, 2006
arniegang wrote:Terranova Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lets just say she has standards.

I would like to put on record that i never buy or copy old DVD's and certainly nothing older than those just released on DVD or prior to its release in the cinema.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its always worth reiterating that point - and I'd like to also point out that I have never used the colour copier at work to photocopy the sleeves from DVDs either.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2006
I would also like to put on record, i never ever copy music from Cd's and i categorically never download any music from illegal file sharing sites.

:D
arniegang

May 25, 2006
and like Zoots, i have never ever visited sites like cdcovers.net

arniegang

May 25, 2006
can you please give me an example of such illegal file sharing sites. for reference only of course!
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2006
terranova wrote:can you please give me an example of such illegal file sharing sites. for reference only of course!

Well, I would use, should I be interested in illegally downloading music from the internet, which of course I am not, I'd use a program like LimeWire, because you can get a wide choice of music on their as it works via P2P networks - I think, erm, someone told me that - never ever have I or would I ever try it myself though, obviously
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2006
lime wire

bit torrent (with which you need azureous )

some perks to staying within the freezone... :lol:
constantine

May 25, 2006
and e-mule

never used it...but heard its like napster...the original monsta
constantine

May 25, 2006
my evil movie and music downloading friends inform me that all those above mentioned sites work outside the freezone too 8)
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 25, 2006
curious
does skype work outside freezone...somehow i get like a peak of 40 kbs d/l speed whist downloading offa my conection in here...which i think is pretty darn good...
constantine

May 25, 2006
I agree guys, i hear people do use sites such as Emule and Limewire etc, but like Zoots and Cons i have personally never visited these sites.

But if i did want a particular song then its nice to know these sites are there. But as i dont want a particular song then obviously i do not visit them.

I also put on record that i disagree in principle with P2P.
arniegang

May 25, 2006
arniegang wrote:I agree guys, i hear people do use sites such as Emule and Limewire etc, but like Zoots and Cons i have personally never visited these sites.

But if i did want a particular song then its nice to know these sites are there. But as i dont want a particular song then obviously i do not visit them.

if only the record companies wernt as greedy in putting an outrageous markup on CDS...i know its a very contorversial debate with overheads etc...but i do think cds and dvds are overpriced and sometimes outrageously expensive...having said that...i just got me delivery of DR WHO season 1...and i didnt mind paying a premium on it...coz after all there is something to be said about the original artwork/sentimental value...but i would never invest in a mediocre movie or a mediocre album with one gem of a song...let the fireworks begin :lol:
constantine

May 25, 2006
arniegang wrote:I agree guys, i hear people do use sites such as Emule and Limewire etc, but like Zoots and Cons i have personally never visited these sites.

That goes without saying - obviously. Erm, erm, I too disagree with it - definately have never and would never use it to download music, DVD movies or software that may or may not include operating systems and or word processing programs.
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

May 25, 2006
constantine wrote:

if only the record companies wernt as greedy in putting an outrageous markup on CDS...i know its a very contorversial debate with overheads etc...but i do think cds and dvds are overpriced and sometimes outrageously expensive...having said that...i just got me delivery of DR WHO season 1...and i didnt mind paying a premium on it...coz after all there is something to be said about the original artwork/sentimental value...but i would never invest in a mediocre movie or a mediocre album with one gem of a song...let the fireworks begin :lol:

Now your in trouble when Chocs reads this. Dont say you haven't been warned

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang

May 25, 2006
Tisk, tisk Arnie, we're talking hypothetically here - of course!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 25, 2006
Well, as the entire music and film library of the planet are actually stored in the central processor of my R2 unit, I am therefore not guilty of any illegal download as the droid is a semi sentient robotic entity...mind you, I do need Threepio to translate some of those Chinese DVD subtitles!

Even funnier are the reviews and film details on the sleeves of the hooky ones! But I don't read them as I don't buy them of course...it was a rumour I heard from an alien in a cantina in Mos Eisley!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 26, 2006
Ya i think in most cases they have subtitles that are from a different movie thats why they are hilarious. I usually turn them off they are so distracting from the movie itself.

BTW, skype works outside of the freezones, its just that you cant download the file itself. So i usually send the file to my friends and they install it and it works fine.

They cant really block skype or P2P programs since there is no central server or single ip that if blocked would bring the system down. So they really cant do anything about it. Unless they start looking into the traffic itself and trying to figure out what program is initiating it and blocking accordingly, which would be really expensive and slow the network down really bad.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 27, 2006
MaaaD wrote:They cant really block skype or P2P programs since there is no central server or single ip that if blocked would bring the system down. So they really cant do anything about it. Unless they start looking into the traffic itself and trying to figure out what program is initiating it and blocking accordingly, which would be really expensive and slow the network down really bad.

So they'll probably still try then!! :lol:
the_zooter
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat