Canadians In Dubai ?

Topic locked
Canadians in dubai ? Sep 29, 2007
being canadian myself, just wondering whos canadian here ?

Long live canadians :D lol

ici.nadeem
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 29, 2007
Last I heard there were about 7,800 of us in Dubai although you damn Quebecois separatist, You’re not really Canadian, :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Just playing, if you’re interested in meeting other Canadians there is a thanksgiving day dinner, you do need to buy tickets soon though the last day is tomorrow. Check here for more details.
http://www.clubforcanadians-dubai.org/
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 29, 2007
fayz wrote:Last I heard there were about 7,800 of us in Dubai although you damn Quebecois separatist, You’re not really Canadian, :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Just playing, if you’re interested in meeting other Canadians there is a thanksgiving day dinner, you do need to buy tickets soon though the last day is tomorrow. Check here for more details.

What, they have thanksgiving day in Canada :shock:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 29, 2007
hahaha yes and like everything else it is ahead of the US, in Oct vs Nov.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Sep 29, 2007
fayz wrote:hahaha yes and like everything else it is ahead of the US, in Oct vs Nov.

Hey those kids from South Park are right: "Blame Canada"!
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 25, 2007
It's nice to meet fellow Canadians.
gay.canadian
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2007
fayz wrote:Last I heard there were about 7,800 of us in Dubai although you damn Quebecois separatist, You’re not really Canadian, :P :P :P :lol: :lol:

Sweet maple you're turning me on.
gay.canadian
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Oct 25, 2007
gay.canadian wrote:

:shock:

did u hear that fayz? :lol:
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Oct 25, 2007
I took a last minute escape and got into Toronto and Montreal for a few days on route to Vegas and after leaving in 2003 its like . . . seriously just . . .

you know what i mean ? . . .

Exactly !

Cheers,

D

P.S: . . .
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Oct 25, 2007
gay.canadian wrote:

Smatd is also from Canada ...keep eye on him too :lol:

PS" fayz watch ur AS.S now :P
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Oct 25, 2007
Why on earth do they have Thanksgiving in Canada?
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 25, 2007
^ian^ wrote:Why on earth do they have Thanksgiving in Canada?

To celebrate the first settlers of Canada?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 25, 2007
gtmash wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Thanksgiving actually centered around an even that happened to the first Pilgram settlers in the US?

Reading the Wackypedia article about it now.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oct 27, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
gtmash wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Thanksgiving actually centered around an even that happened to the first Pilgram settlers in the US?

Reading the Wackypedia article about it now.

What you didn't read about is that a few of them settlers like snow, so they decided to settle in Canada.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Oct 28, 2007
Actually, I think, and don't quote me on this. But I'm pretty sure we've been celebrating in Canada longer.

History of Thanksgiving in Canada

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an English explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been futilely attempting to find a northern passage to the Orient. He did, however, establish a settlement in Canada. In the year 1578, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in what is now the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, to give thanks for surviving the long journey. This event is widely considered to be the first Canadian Thanksgiving, and the first Thanksgiving celebrated by Europeans in North America. More settlers arrived and continued the ceremonial tradition initiated by Frobisher, who was eventually knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him — Frobisher Bay. The innermost point of the inlet of Frobisher Bay is the location of the Nunavut capital, formerly itself called Frobisher Bay, and now called Iqaluit.

It should be noted that the 1578 ceremony was not the first Thanksgiving as defined by First Nations tradition. Long before the time of Martin Frobisher, it was traditional in many First Nations cultures to offer an official giving of thanks during autumnal gatherings. In Haudenosaunee culture, Thanksgiving is a prayer recited to honor "The Three Sisters" (i.e., beans, corn, and squash) during the fall harvest.

In 1957, the Canadian Parliament declared Thanksgiving to be "a Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed" and officially decided that the holiday take place on the second Monday in October.

I skimmed very quickly that the Americans didn't start until the late 1700's I think. Again, ask an American about theirs. Hope that answers your questions Ian...if anyone bothered to read the whole thing.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Oct 28, 2007
Oh...and GT...Massachusetts, where the first settlers landed in America is cold and snowy. Just like Canada. A lot of the US is cold and snowy just like Canada. Actually, Southern Ontario, Canada is lower than a lot of the Northern states. (ie) Minnesota to name one. For reference please see an atlas, Google Earth or Mapquest.
giggsy
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat