Calling All British Expats!!

Topic locked
Calling All British Expats!! May 13, 2008
ARE YOU A BRIT LIVING ABROAD BUT THINKING ABOUT COMING HOME TO THE UK?

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS?

ITV1 are making the second series of ‘No Place Like Home?’ about British Ex-Pats who are considering moving back to the UK.

We’re keen to hear from Brits who are living abroad, but who are now thinking about returning permanently to Britain.

Perhaps you miss your family and friends, maybe you are
struggling with the language, or very simply you yearn for a bit of British culture.

However, it’s not an easy decision – what if you make a mistake?

You’ll be flown back to the UK and given the opportunity to ‘test-drive’ the reality of living in the UK.

Relocation expert Catherine Gee will give you the information you need to make an informed decision about whether to remain an expat or come home for good.

If this sounds like you, or anyone you know, please contact Kaaj.

Email: nplh@fevermedia.co.uk
Or call 00 44 (0) 20 7428 5755

noplacelikehome
Dubai Forum Guest

May 14, 2008
Move back to the UK? Ha, I just laughed so hard that I nearly got a nosebleed.

Move back to a place where constant taxation, teenage pregnancy, knife crime, awful weather and the most over-rated and disappointing football team in the world are all we have to look forward to?

The Doc would rather scoop out both his eyes with a blunt rusty spoon and then use them as ear-rings.

When I move away from Dubai, it won't be back to Not So Great Anymore Britain.
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

May 14, 2008
hahahahahahahaha

Nice 1, Dr S.

Couldn't agree more. Except at 0417 this morning, when the fkg construction site adjacent to our place started :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
g00se
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 14, 2008
I couldn't agree more! a programme on why Brits WON'T move back to the UK would be a better idea! Why do you think we're all leaving in the first place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2008
Dr Strangeglove wrote:Move back to the UK? Ha, I just laughed so hard that I nearly got a nosebleed.

Move back to a place where constant taxation, teenage pregnancy, knife crime, awful weather and the most over-rated and disappointing football team in the world are all we have to look forward to?

The Doc would rather scoop out both his eyes with a blunt rusty spoon and then use them as ear-rings.

What's wrong with knife crime?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2008
Dude, that's really not funny seeing as two teenage boys were stabbed to death only in the last few days!

Moron!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:Dude, that's really not funny seeing as two teenage boys were stabbed to death only in the last few days!

Moron!

I challenge you to a duel!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 14, 2008
You're an idiot!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 15, 2008
Dr Strangeglove wrote:Move back to the UK? Ha, I just laughed so hard that I nearly got a nosebleed.

Nice one Doc

8)
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 15, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:You're an idiot!

You're an idiot!
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

May 15, 2008
I have to really wonder why anyone would want to go back to be honest. Not much good in that country right now. Such a shame really.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 17, 2008
Every year I meet many Brits in airports round the world... complaining about the conditions in Britain...may be other western countries should learn about drawbacks of immigration and make changes.
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

May 18, 2008
Chocoholic wrote:I have to really wonder why anyone would want to go back to be honest. Not much good in that country right now. Such a shame really.

Everyone to their own
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

May 19, 2008
Yeah each to their own! I have to back for a week next month and I'm dreading it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 19, 2008
Chocoholic, you couldn't bring me back a family pack of Walker's Cheese & Onion Crisps could you?!

I still can't believe they sell Ketchup flavour here but not C&O!
Dr Strangeglove
Dubai forums Addict

May 20, 2008
Doc

Spinneys in Marina walk sell Cheese and Onion - Walkers

:wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 23, 2009
What are the US taxation rates for captial gains from foreign investments?
I am a US Permanent Resident. I own approximately 12% of a UK based partnership which owns 6 overseas offices. I have been an equity partner for 3 years. The partnership is valued between £8,000,000 and £10,000,000. Should we sell the company, what US captial gains tax liability might I have? I can't seem to get a straight answer on this from my accountant.
stephanikaathur
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 23, 2009
I am not in a gang, nor a teenage girl and I own a coat.

I enjoy my visits to the UK.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 23, 2009
FTD wrote:I am not in a gang, nor a teenage girl and I own a coat.

I enjoy my visits to the UK.

Key word here: "VISIT".
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Key word here: "VISIT".

What's your point, caller?
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 23, 2009
FTD wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Key word here: "VISIT".

What's your point, caller?

As opposed to LIVE. You have been disconnected.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 23, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:As opposed to LIVE. You have been disconnected.

No, I'll be going to back to live at some point.

A pity, as I'll miss the prevalent and pleasant attitude in region, demonstrated by your good self.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 23, 2009
FTD wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:As opposed to LIVE. You have been disconnected.

No, I'll be going to back to live at some point.

A pity, as I'll miss the prevalent and pleasant attitude in region, demonstrated by your good self.

Well you can always keep in touch through DF.

I think you know the difference between visit and live. You posted you were liked your visits. Generally people don't visit their country, so I assumed that you were not a resident of the UK. Visitors rarely get to see the underbelly of any country they visit.

You take on me is quite wrong.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Apr 23, 2009
Ah ok, apologies, a mix up in grammer.

I'm British and live in Dubai, which apart from the usual moans - bad driving, people pushing in line etc - is rather pleasant, especially at this time of year.

However, when I go back every two months or so I do enjoy it and completely forget about the downsides that made me consider a life out here in the first place. At the same time the upsides are accentuated.

No plans yet, but I'm sure I'll feel the same about Dubai when I move back.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 23, 2009
i want to go to brits how to get a visa? hehehe
im considering work or immigration...
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 23, 2009
FTD wrote:Ah ok, apologies, a mix up in grammer.

I'm British and live in Dubai, which apart from the usual moans - bad driving, people pushing in line etc - is rather pleasant, especially at this time of year.

However, when I go back every two months or so I do enjoy it and completely forget about the downsides that made me consider a life out here in the first place. At the same time the upsides are accentuated.

No apology necessary. I feel I have the best of both worlds between Dubai and the US. I look for the best in both.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

"Whats wrong with knife crime" Apr 23, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Dude, that's really not funny seeing as two teenage boys were stabbed to death only in the last few days!

Moron!

Slight Overreaction?
dresden
Dubai chat master

Re: Calling All British Expats!! Apr 23, 2009
noplacelikehome wrote:ARE YOU A BRIT LIVING ABROAD BUT THINKING ABOUT COMING HOME TO THE UK?

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS?

ITV1 are making the second series of ‘No Place Like Home?’ about British Ex-Pats who are considering moving back to the UK.

We’re keen to hear from Brits who are living abroad, but who are now thinking about returning permanently to Britain.

Perhaps you miss your family and friends, maybe you are
struggling with the language, or very simply you yearn for a bit of British culture.

However, it’s not an easy decision – what if you make a mistake?

You’ll be flown back to the UK and given the opportunity to ‘test-drive’ the reality of living in the UK.

Relocation expert Catherine Gee will give you the information you need to make an informed decision about whether to remain an expat or come home for good.

If this sounds like you, or anyone you know, please contact Kaaj.

Email: nplh@fevermedia.co.uk
Or call 00 44 (0) 20 7428 5755

Looks like another chance for the UK media to do a bit of expat bashing (not even limited to dubai this time!).

I can see it all.

Oh I have to do my own ironing...oh dear.

Oh dear, more cold and rain, it's not like where I was before.

Oh dear, the streets are so small and dirty in London.

Oh no, half my money gone in tax this month.

Whiny expat family returns to Dubai, Bahrain, Hong Kong, or wherever.

etc. etc. etc...

I have to watch this one!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 23, 2009
portland wrote:i want to go to brits how to get a visa? hehehe
im considering work or immigration...

be a mail order bride
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 23, 2009
FTD wrote:Ah ok, apologies, a mix up in grammer.

Hi, I guess everyone is different. When my family go back to visit the UK, a week is plenty then can't wait to get back here. That's after five years living here. Maybe our views will change one day? I miss my friends and family only, nothing else. Oh sorry, and decent TV!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat