Birds Walking

Topic locked
Birds walking Aug 14, 2007
Have you even seen birds walking while crossing the streets?

Why dont they just fly over? alot easier that way..

hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Birds walking Aug 14, 2007
hamadl wrote:Have you even seen birds walking while crossing the streets?

They're playing chicken.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Birds walking Aug 14, 2007
hamadl wrote:Have you even seen birds walking while crossing the streets?

they dont want to consume energy, they r lazy like me :P
Might be they want to imitate arab people .
HP
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 15, 2007
did watching the birds inspire you to log in and create this thread or was it something else...

I mean seriously now... do tell

Cheers,

D
smartd
Dubai Forums Vice-Admin

Aug 15, 2007
Probably the same reason I sometimes try to pick up the TV remote with my feet.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Aug 15, 2007
smartd wrote:did watching the birds inspire you to log in and create this thread or was it something else...

Cheers,

D

I was going to work in the morning and saw the birds, and kept on thinking about it, then i thought maybe share the thought with other people and see what they think, what is the best place to do that? DUBAIFORUMS!
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2007
i thought about them being lazy, but then wouldnt it be easier to fly? i mean how many steps to cross the road? plus in this hot weather, they will probably get some wind blown at them when they fly which would make them feel cooler..

I know i would fly if i could!!
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2007
Hamdi,

Lazy is a good theory, but your netted end results are incorrect.

It takes 27 times the energy for said bird to flap a wing once versus the energy dispersed taking a step, assuming a dual carriage way and the median bird wing span of 2/3rds : 7 ratio with legs,the dispersed energy to walk across would be 7901 kjs vs 8017.63 to fly assuming power lines and other things that may effect flight path are not factored in., if however there are more than 4 lanes to cross then it is lazier to fly.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Aug 15, 2007
Hey Fayz,

My name is Hamad and there is an L after my name as Hamad was taken so i added the first letter from my last name..

Anyway, thank you for your answer, although i was looking for simpler answers, i dont think that birds would know how to count and wouldnt know the number of lanes on the road.

Something like: "they might have tried flying over that road and walking across and found it easier to just walk" would do..
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2007
i was taking the piss, (joking)

you may wish to edit your post though and remove your full name, lots of wackos on this forum.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 15, 2007
fayz wrote:Hamdi,

It takes 27 times the energy for said bird to flap a wing once versus the energy dispersed taking a step, assuming a dual carriage way and the median bird wing span of 2/3rds : 7 ratio with legs,the dispersed energy to walk across would be 7901 kjs vs 8017.63 to fly assuming power lines and other things that may effect flight path are not factored in., if however there are more than 4 lanes to cross then it is lazier to fly.

Nice. But you forgot to factor in the burning hot asphalt if the bird walked or the effects of wind and humidity if it flew. If the bird just had a big meal is a factor too.
Of course the behaviour of the bird's specie should also be considered.

I have nothing to do at the moment..
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 16, 2007
hamadl wrote:
smartd wrote:did watching the birds inspire you to log in and create this thread or was it something else...

Cheers,

D

I was going to work in the morning and saw the birds, and kept on thinking about it, then i thought maybe share the thought with other people and see what they think, what is the best place to do that? DUBAIFORUMS!

hmmm maybe they wanted to exercise their legs since most of the gyms are close in the morning (tickle me!) they preferred to walk ....kinda tired of spreading their wings :D
Donnabelle
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2007
hamadl wrote:Hey Fayz,

My name is Hamad and there is an L after my name as Hamad was taken and my last name is Al Lawati..

Anyway, thank you for your answer, although i was looking for simpler answers, i dont think that birds would know how to count and wouldnt know the number of lanes on the road.

Something like: "they might have tried flying over that road and walking across and found it easier to just walk" would do..

....but believe me I dont think anybody can easily find them in the roundabouts :lol:
Donnabelle
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2007
fayz wrote:Hamdi,

And of course should they get hit, they'll receive approximately 200~1000 times that energy depending in whether its a hummer or motorcycle and the speed upon which ~5% of that energy is turned into sound energy (something like 'thunk'), another ~5% of the energy into heat (scorched), with the remaining 90% of the energy converted into kinetic, whereupon the bird will most likely fly faster than it has ever done, without the need for any flapping.
Al Jon
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2007
fayz wrote:i was taking the piss, (joking)

you may wish to edit your post though and remove your full name, lots of wackos on this forum.

Hamad, it's ok to leave your name on. It's only the women who get stalked around here. :lol: ...... :(
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 16, 2007
gtmash wrote:
fayz wrote:i was taking the piss, (joking)

Hamad, it's ok to leave your name on. It's only the women who get stalked around here. :lol: ...... :(

hmmmm
Donnabelle
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 16, 2007
gtmash wrote:..... It's only the women who get stalked around here. :lol: ...... :(
Awww don't worry soon you'll have your own stalker too, happens to some guys on here as well, just fewer guys complain about it. :lol: :lol:
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 16, 2007
dp
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Aug 16, 2007
jabbajabba wrote:Probably the same reason I sometimes try to pick up the TV remote with my feet.

I suddenly got visuals of someone doing this LOL :lol: :lol:
DeeDee
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat