U.S. Backs U.A.E. Nuclear Bill

Topic locked
U.S. Backs U.A.E. Nuclear Bill May 21, 2009
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama gave official backing to an agreement allowing the U.S. to share nuclear technology with the United Arab Emirates, part of his broader push to promote and better manage nuclear power globally.

The agreement, if it passes through Congress, could mean billions of dollars for American power companies competing to build the U.A.E.'s first fleet of nuclear reactors. General Electric Co. and Westinghouse Electric Co. are among the U.S.-based firms that have submitted bids for the Emirates' nuclear program, according to industry officials.

The Obama administration touts the U.A.E. agreement as a model for the peaceful development of nuclear power internationally. Abu Dhabi has agreed to extensive United Nations inspections of its nuclear facilities and says it will buy nuclear fuel from international suppliers.

The U.A.E. has renounced its right to enrich uranium or reprocess plutonium, which minimizes the risk of nuclear materials being diverted for military purposes, according to U.S. officials.

Washington has pledged to assist countries in developing civilian nuclear programs if they commit to these conditions. U.S. officials call the U.A.E. program a counterexample to Iran's, which they see as aimed at producing nuclear weapons, although Tehran says its program is peaceful.

Mr. Obama said Wednesday he determined that the U.A.E. agreement "will promote, and will not constitute an unreasonable risk to, the common defense and security" of the U.S. Former President George W. Bush signed the U.A.E. agreement during his last week in office, but agreed to allow Mr. Obama to determine whether to send it to Congress.

Mr. Obama at first planned to sign the deal last month, aides said. But a number of lawmakers voiced concern, particularly following the airing on U.S. television networks of a video showing an Abu Dhabi sheikh brutally beating an Afghan businessman. Some lawmakers argued Abu Dhabi doesn't have enough legal safeguards against leakage of nuclear technologies.

U.S. officials said they viewed the nuclear agreement and the video as separate issues. The Obama administration has praised the legal infrastructure Abu Dhabi is developing in support of its nuclear program as well its close cooperation with the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

Once the State Department submits the U.A.E. legislation to Congress, lawmakers will have 90 days to amend or seek to kill it. Some U.S. representatives, including Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Republican vice chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, have said they will fight it. Some say the deal could spark a nuclear arms race across the Mideast.

Administration and industry officials say opposition is limited, and they said they expect the bill to become law by September.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124287084571141947.html

uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

May 21, 2009
this will cause i brows with iran...
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 21, 2009
portland wrote:this will cause i brows with iran...

Think of it as an export opportunity. UAE can give them enriched uranium as long as they promise to only nuke Israel and not us.

kidding!
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 21, 2009
...Still has to pass congress...
dresden
Dubai chat master

May 21, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
portland wrote:this will cause i brows with iran...

Think of it as an export opportunity. UAE can give them enriched uranium as long as they promise to only nuke Israel and not us.

kidding!

Hehehe agreee...

Hmmm i feel that this will be another of the US defence strategy to combat iran and take over the hormuz straigh...
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

UAE nuclear energy plant seen ready in 2015 May 21, 2009
DUBAI, May 21 (Reuters) - The United Arab Emirates has told the International Atomic Energy Agency it plans to have its first nuclear power plant ready in 2015, an IAEA official said on Thursday, although the body believes this is optimistic.

"The UAE government told us that the plant would be ready and generating power by 2015," Ali Boussaha, a director at the IAEA, told Reuters on the sidelines of a conference in Dubai.

"I think this is optimistic because it generally takes 10-15 years to get people trained and infrastructure in place."

The Gulf Arab state was on a fast-track plan to develop nuclear power and was taking technical advice from the IAEA, Boussaha said.

Latest industry estimates pegged the earliest date to set up such a plant in the UAE at 2017.

U.S. President Barack Obama approved on Wednesday a nuclear energy deal with the UAE worth potentially billions of dollars to U.S. energy companies.

The administration of former President George W. Bush signed the pact with the wealthy Gulf state just days before leaving office in January.

The UAE, the world's third-largest oil exporter, is planning to build a number of nuclear reactors to meet an expected need for an extra 40,000 megawatts of electricity by 2017.

U.S. nuclear reactor builders, GE (GE.N) and Westinghouse Electric Co, a subsidiary of Toshiba Corp (6502.T), stand to get a big share of the expected $40 billion market if Congress approves the deal.

France's Total (TOTF.PA), Suez (LYOE.PA), and state nuclear reactor maker Areva (CEPFi.PA) said last year they planned to develop two third-generation nuclear reactors in the UAE.

The UAE has said it plans to establish a $100 million agency to look into developing nuclear energy to satisfy rapidly rising electricity demand as its economy grows.

The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), a loose gathering of Arab states including the UAE, said in 2006 it was studying developing a joint nuclear energy programme.

The announcement raised concern about a regional arms race between the bloc and Iran.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssCons ... 5620090521
uaebadoo
Dubai forums Addict

May 21, 2009
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 21, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:My my my, someone has been busy.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/search.php?s ... repower123

He's like dogsh!t all over the forum. I checked, and what a surprise, no Admin on line and no mod. I guess we will have to wait til after the weekend and they sober up before someone does something.

This animal is totally, totally toxic.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 21, 2009
Edited - MOD
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 21, 2009
firepower123 wrote:USA motherfu.cker US of A

how u like world domince?? how u like being opressed. USA invade whole middle east take all the oil and iron ores. take it all

The only dominance you think you have, is in your Wii toys.

Mental screwup :lol: :lol:

RobbyG

May 21, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:My my my, someone has been busy.

http://www.dubaiforums.com/search.php?s ... repower123

He's like dogsh!t all over the forum. I checked, and what a surprise, no Admin on line and no mod. I guess we will have to wait til after the weekend and they sober up before someone does something.

This animal is totally, totally toxic.

It's amazing that subnormals like this don't get the fact that everyone hates their guts. This is the first poison troll I've seen since I've been here :)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

how u like world domince?? how u like being opressed. USA invade whole middle east take all the oil and iron ores. take it all

The only dominance you think you have, is in your Wii toys.

Mental screwup :lol: :lol:

:D nice one.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
firepower123 wrote:fu.ck UAE blow UAE off the face of the map. congress approve a deal for you sand niggars arabs to get nuclear power. ahahhaha in ur dreams buddy. the only thing u will get from america is fully charged nuclera warhead about expode over ur sh.it hole country

FU partypooper :lol:

gagging!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

May 21, 2009

I corrected your essay.

firepower123 wrote:How would you like (to have) world dominance? How do you like being oppressed? USA (should) invade (the) whole Middle East (and) take all the oil and iron ore. (We should) take it all.

F-
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

May 21, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
firepower123 wrote:fu.ck UAE blow UAE off the face of the map. congress approve a deal for you sand niggars arabs to get nuclear power. ahahhaha in ur dreams buddy. the only thing u will get from america is fully charged nuclera warhead about expode over ur sh.it hole country

FU partypooper :lol:

gagging!!!!

;) I knew you would 8)
RobbyG

May 21, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:

I corrected your essay.

firepower123 wrote:How would you like (to have) world dominance? How do you like being oppressed? USA (should) invade (the) whole Middle East (and) take all the oil and iron ore. (We should) take it all.

F-

What's the point, you think they have REAL schools in Utah? :roll:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat