Abu Dhabi To Pursue Nuclear Power, Undeterred By Japan

Topic locked
Abu Dhabi to pursue nuclear power, undeterred by Japan Mar 29, 2011
...“It’s a technology we should bring to the region,” Abdullah Saif al-Nuaimi, director general of Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority said. Newer technology than that used in Japan’s damaged plants would make Abu Dhabi’s reactors safer, he said...

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/abu-dhab ... 90483.html

At a time when the world flinches to the world "nuclear power" , These guyz have their priorities seriously messed up. Perhaps the AUD is keen on experiencing what its like to manage a radiation disaster :shock:

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Abu Dhabi to pursue nuclear power, undeterred by Japan Mar 29, 2011
I’ve no doubt the nuclear debate of it’s pro’s and con’s will continue, but as far as the risk of experiencing a radiation disaster in the region goes? This already exists less that 300Kms East of Kuwait and 600Kms Northwest of the UAE at Bushehr in Iran where, built on a junction of three tectonic plates (the things that move and cause earthquakes and tsunami, regardless of what any religious fanatic may believe) the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Atomic Energy Contractors have just completed the commissioning of the Middle East’s first Nuclear Plant.
Dillon
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Abu Dhabi to pursue nuclear power, undeterred by Japan Mar 29, 2011
Dillon wrote:I’ve no doubt the nuclear debate of it’s pro’s and con’s will continue, but as far as the risk of experiencing a radiation disaster in the region goes? This already exists less that 300Kms East of Kuwait and 600Kms Northwest of the UAE at Bushehr in Iran where, built on a junction of three tectonic plates (the things that move and cause earthquakes and tsunami, regardless of what any religious fanatic may believe) the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Atomic Energy Contractors have just completed the commissioning of the Middle East’s first Nuclear Plant.

I don't know what is better bald-faced lie or this half-truth. You forgot to mention that It was not Russian blah blah blah, who chose area and started building that huge structure, but very respectable Kraftwerk Union, the subdivison of even more respectable Siemence from Bundesrepublik Deutschland in 1975. Russians only completed the construction and mounted pretty aged German equipment.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Abu Dhabi to pursue nuclear power, undeterred by Japan Mar 30, 2011
Red Chief wrote:
Dillon wrote:I’ve no doubt the nuclear debate of it’s pro’s and con’s will continue, but as far as the risk of experiencing a radiation disaster in the region goes? This already exists less that 300Kms East of Kuwait and 600Kms Northwest of the UAE at Bushehr in Iran where, built on a junction of three tectonic plates (the things that move and cause earthquakes and tsunami, regardless of what any religious fanatic may believe) the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Atomic Energy Contractors have just completed the commissioning of the Middle East’s first Nuclear Plant.

I don't know what is better bald-faced lie or this half-truth. You forgot to mention that It was not Russian blah blah blah, who chose area and started building that huge structure, but very respectable Kraftwerk Union, the subdivison of even more respectable Siemence from Bundesrepublik Deutschland in 1975. Russians only completed the construction and mounted pretty aged German equipment.

Chief, can you let us know what your point is?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Abu Dhabi To Pursue Nuclear Power, Undeterred By Japan Mar 30, 2011
Sage, the chief's point is obvious. Iran's Nuclear program was started by a German multi-national Company back in 1975, and only completed by the Russians. However, as for the risks of Nuclear Power, these are going to grow with time. The genie of atomic power and its risks is well and truly out of the lamp now. People have talked about suit-case nuclear devices, I dont know if there is any truth to that, but I am sure it wont be long before such devices do become available. The implications of this are quite horrendous.
zonker
BANNED

Red Chief wrote:

Bald faced lie? Half Truth? How dare you? :shock: Siemens walked away from that partially completed project in 1979, 32 Years ago!

The ‘pretty aged German equipment’ was designed into the current hybrid model by the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Atomic Energy Contractors, Atomstroyexport, I don’t see how they could agree to utilise such equipment if they didn’t consider it to be fit for purpose :roll: .

There is no confusion over who’s responsible for the design and build of the current hybrid Nuclear Power Plant in Bushehr, and the fact that it has been built on a junction of three mobile tectonic plates, there are no bare faced lies or half truths in my statements.

Bushehr was in fact hit with a 4.6 magnitude earthquake in 2002.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-0 ... afety.html

zonker wrote:Sage, the chief's point is obvious. Iran's Nuclear program was started by a German multi-national Company back in 1975, and only completed by the Russians.

This is not the case at all, the Russians didn't complete Siemens 32 Year old design, The current hybrid plant was designed by the Russian Federation’s Ministry of Atomic Energy Contractors, Atomstroyexport.
Dillon

What do you want to say, Dillon, putting Russian spin on choosing the wrong place for the Atomic Plant? As far as I understand it was the main fear of yours. Do you mean that in 1979 Siemence suddenly recognised the fear and withdrew themselves from the construction for that reason? I don't think so.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Dillon wrote:
(the things that move and cause earthquakes and tsunami, regardless of what any religious fanatic may believe)

Dillon please say what you want to say without mixing religion and fanatism together..Being a believer has nothing to do with fanatism...If you are an atheist then should I call you a Darwinist fanatic? As far as I am concerned darwinism is the religion of atheism!..
On this forum I guess when you implied religious fanatic, you meant me as we were disscusing this same issue in the religion forum at the same time.. Since you mentioned it again I'll continue to enlight you..

Since Wegener's day, scientists have mapped and explored the great system of oceanic ridges, the sites of frequent earthquakes, where molten rock rises from below the crust and hardens into new crust. We now know that the farther away you travel from a ridge, the older the crust is, and the older the sediments on top of the crust are. The clear implication is that the ridges are the sites where plates are moving apart (click on the picture at the left to see a map of the age of the ocean crust). Where plates collide, great mountain ranges may be pushed up, such as the Himalayas; or if one plate sinks below another, deep oceanic trenches and chains of volcanoes are formed. Earthquakes are by far most common along plate boundaries and rift zones: plotting the location of earthquakes allows seismologists to map plate boundaries and depths (click on the picture at the right to view a map of quake epicenters).

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/wegener.html
http://www.miraclesofthequran.com/scientific_98.html

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Red Chief wrote:What do you want to say, Dillon, putting Russian spin on choosing the wrong place for the Atomic Plant? As far as I understand it was the main fear of yours. Do you mean that in 1979 Siemence suddenly recognised the fear and withdrew themselves from the construction for that reason? I don't think so.

What I want to say is exactly what I wrote RC, no spin, all fact, nothing more and nothing less.

1. Did Atomstroyexport design and build the current hybrid nuclear power plant at Bushehr?
2. Is it built on top of a junction of three mobile tectonic plates?
3. Did a cooling pump fail, forcing a shutdown during its initial start-up phase?

I’ll save you the bother of looking up the answers RC and I’m sure it won’t come as a surprise to you that the answers to the above three questions are…Yes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-0 ... afety.html

Q.E.D.

:lol:
Dillon

Sorry friend I forgot how boring you have always been. British arrogance without British sence of humour is unbearable mix for me.
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

The sign of a poor sportsman RC! you really do need to learn a little humility as an alternative to your usual insults.

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

Re: Abu Dhabi To Pursue Nuclear Power, Undeterred By Japan Mar 30, 2011
Awww Dillon. You're the second Brit that RC has taken on and can't seem to get ahead of. Speedhump (a very intelligent man and knew his history!) used to give Teddybear quite a run for the money.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

they ought to think about turning the whole desert into a solar plant!!!
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Abu Dhabi to pursue nuclear power, undeterred by Japan Mar 31, 2011
Red Chief wrote:Sorry friend I forgot how boring you have always been. British arrogance without British sence of humour is unbearable mix for me.
8) 8) 8)

Gosh RC! Do you find Dillon boring? I don't! There is nothing more attractive than an intelligent English man.:love4:
Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Abu Dhabi To Pursue Nuclear Power, Undeterred By Japan Mar 31, 2011
How may the Persian interfere between the Russian and the Brits? :shock:
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat