Are You Glad You Moved To Dubai And Why?

Topic locked
Are you glad you moved to Dubai and why? Dec 30, 2008
Just a random question...if you could turn back time would you still have come to Dubai or gone somewhere else? Has it lived up to your expectations?

It's funny old place but the marketing is very clever so it's very easy to be misled...(that's my opinion anyway)

newfromLondon
Dubai Forum User

Dec 30, 2008
The Dubai Marketing Machine is not doing very well at the moment. It's trying very hard to suppress the bad news, but alas the old proverb still rings true........... in that

"you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time"
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 30, 2008
My only regret is not coming here sooner.

I do not love Dubai, but neither do I hate it. You could say "it is a means to an end."

I would never call Dubai home, thats for sure.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2008
Its still too early for me, I'm willing to give it a little more time. I think I have more regrets so far but we'll see. I was planning to spend at least 3-5 years to build up my resume with some International projects. The way things are changing rapidly I could end up going back a lot sooner.
And Yorky, yes your right. Nobody feels Dubai is home to them. I think thats the intention of the rulers as well. No matter how long you live in this country, born and raised. Your still an expat, an outsider, if your not an Emirati. The sentiment among most high ranking officials is that Indians/Pakistanis are responsible for ruining their culture.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Are you glad you moved to Dubai and why? Dec 30, 2008
newfromLondon wrote:Just a random question...if you could turn back time would you still have come to Dubai or gone somewhere else? Has it lived up to your expectations?

It's funny old place but the marketing is very clever so it's very easy to be misled...(that's my opinion anyway)

Never regretted the move.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 30, 2008
Its like the Parson's egg: "Good in parts.."

I don't regret the experience, however I feel the city has changed around me for the worse.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 30, 2008
I never regretted the move too... Dubai is far better than my home country... what is happening around in Dubai is in the favor of many... thankfully all the crazy projects stopped, many left the country and the prices are stabling including house rents.
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2008
quatroporte wrote:I never regretted the move too... Dubai is far better than my home country... what is happening around in Dubai is in the favor of many... thankfully all the crazy projects stopped, many left the country and the prices are stabling including house rents.

Sorry, rents are still on the up, I should know, I am looking! hahahahaha
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2008
I do enjoy being here. It's been over 5 years for me now and yeah I will call Dubai home - mind you I don't know where I'd call home, as my family are all over the world.

It has good and bad, but then so does everywhere.

The thing to remember is, you get out what you put in. It's as good as you want it to be.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 30, 2008
Just over 4 years and it is NOT my home and like you Chocs, my family are spread all over the world too.

People ask me where home is - I can never answer. :roll:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2008
It's rubbish when that happens! I feel like a world orphan! :lol:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dec 30, 2008
We're glad we left Dubai. The only thing we miss is our dear friends.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Dec 30, 2008
kanelli wrote:We're glad we left Dubai. The only thing we miss is our dear friends.

We miss you too K!!!!

How is E? Saw you were having a bad few nights?

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 30, 2008
I don't regret coming here. I'm still making money and I'm getting good life experience living in another country.

I do miss my mates back home though. It is difficult to make good friends here, but I guess the onus is on me to try harder.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2008
K-Dog wrote:Nobody feels Dubai is home to them. I think thats the intention of the rulers as well. No matter how long you live in this country, born and raised. Your still an expat, an outsider, if your not an Emirati. The sentiment among most high ranking officials is that Indians/Pakistanis are responsible for ruining their culture.

Totally correct. I am one of those who are supposedly ruining the local culture of excess with my frugality.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2008
K-Dog wrote:The sentiment among most high ranking officials is that Indians/Pakistanis are responsible for ruining their culture.

Trying to wind up the sub-continent guys eh...right....? Though not surprised hearing such comments from you....... 8)
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 30, 2008
reviewer wrote:
K-Dog wrote:The sentiment among most high ranking officials is that Indians/Pakistanis are responsible for ruining their culture.

Trying to wind up the sub-continent guys eh...right....? Though not surprised hearing from you....... 8)

Not at all. Just quoting what I read in Gulf News the other day. They had some kind of forum on protecting their heritage and blaming it on Indians/Pakistanis. Personally I thought what a load of crap.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 30, 2008
K-Dog wrote:
reviewer wrote:

Trying to wind up the sub-continent guys eh...right....? Though not surprised hearing from you....... 8)

Not at all. Just quoting what I read in Gulf News the other day. They had some kind of forum on protecting their heritage and blaming it on Indians/Pakistanis. Personally I thought what a load of crap.

I bet those are from locals who have vested interest on the successful businesses established by sub-continentals themselves. They cant wait to devour the profits these indians/pakistanis are getting. About the culture, cant say anything but the fact is ....they've (forefathers) been eating those spices and watching those desi films before they we're born.
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 30, 2008
I'm totally with you and sorry on how my earlier post came across.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 30, 2008
OkAY then, lets' move on.....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 30, 2008
Before we move on. Read it for yourself where he is calling Asians a disease.

http://www.xpress4me.com/news/uae/natio ... 06968.html

And don't be so quick to judge others.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 30, 2008
yorky500 wrote:
quatroporte wrote:I never regretted the move too... Dubai is far better than my home country... what is happening around in Dubai is in the favor of many... thankfully all the crazy projects stopped, many left the country and the prices are stabling including house rents.

Sorry, rents are still on the up, I should know, I am looking! hahahahaha

ohhh I didn't mean right now... rents for me is still considered high but not increasing and that what I meant by rents being stable... but we all know it will sooner go down :)
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Dec 30, 2008
K-Dog wrote:Before we move on. Read it for yourself where he is calling Asians a disease.

Lt Gen XXX said it’s been difficult to see the "immigration of a large number of Asians to our streets and squares" and suggested that the country "must remedy or diagnose the disease or the phenomenon".

Its the immigration (and its related issues) per se being described here not the Asians (person) themselves......

Moving on......
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 30, 2008
K-Dog wrote:Before we move on. Read it for yourself where he is calling Asians a disease.

It is clear that the chief hates Asians. I don't see why Reviewer thinks you are causing e-trouble. Speaking of the chief, he is one reason why I tremble every time I get pulled over for no reason at night just for an ID check.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 30, 2008
gtmash wrote:

It is clear that the chief hates Asians. I don't see why Reviewer thinks you are causing e-trouble. Speaking of the chief, he is one reason why I tremble every time I get pulled over for no reason at night just for an ID check.

You just missed my post about the quote from the news item....
reviewer
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dec 31, 2008
reviewer wrote:
gtmash wrote:

You just missed my post about the quote from the news item....

And that quote specifically singled out Asians, not immigration in general.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2008
For those that missed it, here is the quote:

"Dubai Police Chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim said he fears that world-record economic progress in the UAE may be a Pyrrhic exercise that needs to be reined in.

"I’m afraid we’re building bridges but we’re losing the Emirates," said panellist Lt Gen Dahi, to thunderous applause, adding that "Emiratis should have a national strategy for increasing the birth rate. So, please marry and give birth."

Too many others

Lt Gen Dahi said it’s been difficult to see the "immigration of a large number of Asians to our streets and squares" and suggested that the country "must remedy or diagnose the disease or the phenomenon"."

The comment about marrying and giving birth made me laugh! It was an invitation really to go and get f*cked!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dec 31, 2008
Foreigners do more harm than good. That’s my opinion; however I wouldn't blame them for loosing our identity. It's up to a person to hold on to his heritage.

On the other hand, they are part of the development of the country so I guess we (locals) shouldn't be complaining.

I Hope this economic crises will slow down the foreigners flood to this country, , I think we have enough.

I'm not trying to cause a fight but I'm just expressing my feelings toward the above.
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Dec 31, 2008
uaekid wrote:Foreigners do more harm than good. That’s my opinion; however I wouldn't blame them for loosing our identity. It's up to a person to hold on to his heritage.

On the other hand, they are part of the development of the country so I guess we (locals) shouldn't be complaining.

I Hope this economic crises will slow down the foreigners flood to this country, , I think we have enough.

I'm not trying to cause a fight but I'm just expressing my feelings toward the above.

uaekid,

Agree totally with what you have said, but where would you be if you did not have "us foreigners" here? Would Emirati's be sweeping the streets, cleaning windows and doing all those minor jobs for a pittance of a salary, they do elsewhere in the world?

Would the Emirati's stand up and take the place of the foreigners who leave?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 31, 2008
uaekid wrote:Foreigners do more harm than good. That’s my opinion; however I wouldn't blame them for loosing our identity. It's up to a person to hold on to his heritage.

On the other hand, they are prime part of the development of the country so I guess we (locals) shouldn't be complaining.

now thats the point!!!!!!

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat