Another Shameful Act

Topic locked
Another Shameful Act Feb 09, 2009
What a disgrace. Its disturbing to see that now the Department Chiefs are instructed to spread these lies. First the Police chief and now this. Times if desparation.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/546094-m ... ed---dubai

K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 09, 2009
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Another Shameful Act Feb 09, 2009
K-Dog wrote:What a disgrace. Its disturbing to see that now the Department Chiefs are instructed to spread these lies. First the Police chief and now this. Times if desparation.

What about the workers that are being sent on long, unpaid leave, without the cancellation of visa, it is impossible to monitor those numbers. Also some of the companies will be terminating and re-patriating without cancellation in order to save time and money, once again impossible to monitor.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
K-Dog wrote:What a disgrace. Its disturbing to see that now the Department Chiefs are instructed to spread these lies. First the Police chief and now this. Times if desparation.

What about the workers that are being sent on long, unpaid leave, without the cancellation of visa, it is impossible to monitor those numbers. Also some of the companies will be terminating and re-patriating without cancellation in order to save time and money, once again impossible to monitor.

very right. And that is what contractors are doing. this way, there are less legal hassles.

But there may be some element of truth about the incoming residents. Many companies I know are firing high paid employees and bringing in new at a fraction of what the old ones were getting.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Safadi admitted that government data needed to be made more readily available, stating that “in the data front we are not very forthcoming”.
Why's that?

This was due to “the simple reason that the mechanisms to produce these data are not in place”, he said.
Plenty of mechanisms in place to ruin lives and careers though, eh?

I don't know where they got my address from, but I must say I do look forward to Arabian Business's highly informative e-mails.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Del wrote:

Safadi admitted that government data needed to be made more readily available, stating that “in the data front we are not very forthcoming”.
Why's that?

This was due to “the simple reason that the mechanisms to produce these data are not in place”, he said.

I don't know where they got my address from, but I must say I do look forward to Arabian Business's highly informative e-mails.

Maybe it was the Kid putting it about again :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

sage & onion wrote:
Del wrote:

Why's that?

Maybe it was the Kid putting it about again :lol:

Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Ya, it's like the other news that there were only 11 abandon cars at the airport. " I swear by the Lord"

This mentality is killing them. And they don't see it.
bezor
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 10, 2009
liess!!!

How did you know they are lying???

or because you dont want to hear any positive news about UAE..

should we trust our media or yours?

what make our media reliable ..what make westren media reliable..

can you prove without refereing to outside reports that they are lying?

i have so many Q..and im confused which news to believe..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
naruto wrote:liess!!!

Yes Naruto, I have the first hand knowledge of this lying. A Nakheel director came to my office and showed me his 2 page interview in an Arabic Newspaper. In the interview he said everything was fine and all projects on schedule. He was laughing and ashamed of it according to him he was told to say these things. You don't have to be a genious to figure out that the media is censored in this country just look at the new media law. They will put your a.s.s. in jail for reporting anything negative.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
I read the local newspapers for "entertainment". For real news, I read several international newspaper editions to get a true picture of everyting.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 10, 2009
well real-estat is in deep shiii..right now and we all know that..

but K-dog is their any possiblity that what they said about the visa increment is correct..why spread bad news if we are not 100%sure..
u told me ur story with ur boss or friend ..i might believe you and i tell my friends ..but imagin at the end we find out that ur boss was lying???
for me i beleive what my GOV says but i also have to think and ask my self is it true or just lies..but i dont go around spreading news that i get from a friend or bunch of people who work at a typing company...
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009

Yes I can vouch for that, having worked for one of the major news papers here, they are forbidden to write anything negative about the UAE or it's rulers or face heavy fines, sacking of the journalist in question etc etc.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 10, 2009
It's true, during the first Gulf war, we were more or less oblivious to what was going on, almost total blanket ban on reporting in any media.

Although it is getting a bit better. Anyone remember when Hello/OK/GQ etc magazines were not allowed? Now you can buy them for 5x the price of UK/US and still get high from the fumes of the recently applied marker pen.
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 10, 2009
naruto wrote:well real-estat is in deep shiii..right now and we all know that..

but K-dog is their any possiblity that what they said about the visa increment is correct..why spread bad news if we are not 100%sure..
u told me ur story with ur boss or friend ..i might believe you and i tell my friends ..but imagin at the end we find out that ur boss was lying???
for me i beleive what my GOV says but i also have to think and ask my self is it true or just lies..but i dont go around spreading news that i get from a friend or bunch of people who work at a typing company...

You won't understand the logic Naruto. It will be like banging my head against the wall. Choco might be up for it. She loves it and admire her for that. :)
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yes I can vouch for that, having worked for one of the major news papers here, they are forbidden to write anything negative about the UAE or it's rulers or face heavy fines, sacking of the journalist in question etc etc.

Many countries in the world have restrained journalism. And if the authorities here wish to control the journalists - no problem with that.

But when garbage is printed and conflicting statements.......better not to print anything at all. Why not have neutral articles about how much sand in the desert
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 10, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
naruto wrote:well real-estat is in deep shiii..right now and we all know that..

You won't understand the logic Naruto. It will be like banging my head against the wall. Choco might be up for it. She loves it and admire her for that. :)

so now u are getting angrey because i didnt agree with you..
now you have the logic and i dont ..although i gave u examples and tried to have a nice conversation with you ..
now i know what UAEkid is trying to tell us
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:

Yes I can vouch for that, having worked for one of the major news papers here, they are forbidden to write anything negative about the UAE or it's rulers or face heavy fines, sacking of the journalist in question etc etc.

can you tell me what type of negative news ??
yes it forbidden to write anything that might jeprdise the national security..or creat chaos..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
You want logic so here it is. It is logical that the same article said they tried a bunch of times to get the figure and they were denied. The chief was crticised in the meeting for not being transparent. The typing centers would be the best indicator wouldn't it as 99.9% of the people go those typing centers. Plus it was published in the local media. The net positive the chief is talking about includes renewals. We all know we get "new" visas issued every 3 years.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Okay when 7 Days wrote a story about a member of the ruling family, which wasn't to their liking, they refused to print the paper, shutting down the printers who produced it.

I know reporters who have been fired for writing true but negative stories about the UAE. It's all BS.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Feb 10, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Okay when 7 Days wrote a story about a member of the ruling family, which wasn't to their liking, they refused to print the paper, shutting down the printers who produced it.

I know reporters who have been fired for writing true but negative stories about the UAE. It's all BS.

link ..or source plz
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
K-Dog wrote:You want logic so here it is. It is logical that the same article said they tried a bunch of times to get the figure and they were denied. The chief was crticised in the meeting for not being transparent. The typing centers would be the best indicator wouldn't it as 99.9% of the people go those typing centers. Plus it was published in the local media. The net positive the chief is talking about includes renewals. We all know we get "new" visas issued every 3 years.

u came back..

the first report says: The number of working visas being issued in Dubai remains a “net positive"...Yes, we have cancelled a lot, but at the same time a lot have been issued,” Safadi told the conference.
so they issued 2000 visa and cansellled 1500...the reason why they didnt get the figure is :This was due to “the simple reason that the mechanisms to produce these data are not in place”, he said so he admit it was their mistake..

so until now we dont know the truth so please when every thing is clear and we have the offical data then we can talk about logic ..not by conjecture or forming an opinion, without the knowledge of real data
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Naruto, it is hard to believe the govt when they spew stories like "I swear to God only 11 cars were left in 2008," and "our One-Family-One-Villa policy was misunderstood and does not mean one family per villa." Also, as someone pointed out, EVERY expat in the country has to renew their visa every 3 years, and so the "new visas" will always be higher than cancellations.
Pankaj
Dubai Forums Member

Feb 10, 2009
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 10, 2009

here we go what ??? the report is full of CCrap..if he was 100% sure about his information..why in the end he didnt mention his or here name ..insted he or she signed:-

posted by secretdubai :lol:

hahahaha ..try harder..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
and your source is a blog.

:lol:
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
It is completely true. The royal family was offended at the misquote, and it was almost the end of the 7Days paper. I remember all of this happening and the distribution of 7Days in all Emaar properties was stopped. Let me see if I can dig up another source. The blog was spot on though, even if it is a blog.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 10, 2009
true or false

if u insult any member of the royal family ..your are not wellcomed here and we dont want you here ..i think its clear for you..
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 10, 2009
Can't find any "news" articles on the story, just discussion. It isn't much of a surprise that official black and white statements in newspapers about what exactly happened are hard to find, because the sacking and banning happens with everything kept under wraps.

Here are two discussion threads, plus there was one on an Emaar community site that you must belong to in order to read posts.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410237 - discussion on British expats forum, including a copy of one article that states that one journalist was sacked from 7Days

http://www.expatgossip.com/showthread.php?t=7032&page=5 - discussion on expatgossip.com on where 7Days went to in Emaar communities

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emaar - Wikipedia entry for Emaar says that Emaar banned the 7Days paper because there was criticism of the board of directors (are they royals?)

A blog called Dubai Media Observer - http://dubaimedia.blogspot.com/2007/05/ ... 7days.html
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Feb 10, 2009
lol
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat